Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,051 times

Advertisements

i love the responses here. I like kitschy stuff and the modern pop soundtracks, like as in "Hannah" or "Black Swan". Itll probably fit psychologically to the film. It has to be over the top though because it is about the 20s and we are all about the visually stimulating effects of movies these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I was going to until I learned that the soundtrack is comprised of modern pop-ish music.
I wonder what it'll be like.
Baz Luhrmann's 'Gatsby' hears hip-hop where Fitzgerald heard jazz - latimes.com

Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I imagine it will work better than I would expect, but I still don't think I can stomach it. When I hear the name "Gatsby", I can't help but think early Irving Berlin, Dixieland jazz, and waltzes. To me that music is a HUGE part of that era, and the music is one of my favorite things about that era.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,821 times
Quote:
I was going to until I learned that the soundtrack is comprised of modern pop-ish music. That pretty much completely ruins it for me.
Oh god, is this a Moulin Rouge type of thing? If so, I will not be attending. That book is a masterful piece of writing, especially the last page and paragraph. I approve of DiCaprio in the titular role, but the 3D made me turn my head in confusion, and now this? I'm all for modern synthesis of vintage aesthetic, but ham-fisted modern music plugs is just awful.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Oh god, is this a Moulin Rouge type of thing? If so, I will not be attending. That book is a masterful piece of writing, especially the last page and paragraph. I approve of DiCaprio in the titular role, but the 3D made me turn my head in confusion, and now this? I'm all for modern synthesis of vintage aesthetic, but ham-fisted modern music plugs is just awful.
Luhrmann's reasoning for the modern music is that when Fitzgerald wrote the novel, he wrote it as a modernist and with the intent of totally eliminating any kind of nostalgia. Back then Jazz was the cutting edge and off color form of music. Now it's hip-hop and modern pop.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 05-10-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
I was going to until I learned that the soundtrack is comprised of modern pop-ish music. That pretty much completely ruins it for me.
^^^This.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Luhrmann's reasoning for the modern music is that when Fitzgerald wrote the novel, he wrote it as a modernist and with the intent of totally eliminating any kind of nostalgia. Back then Jazz was the cutting edge and off color form of music. Now it's hip-hop and modern pop.
Maybe. But it's just not my cup of tea. IMHO, if you're going to to that - move the entire setting to the present. Otherwise, it makes no sense to me. The story is dependent on the era and the times - you can't really separate them. Fitzgerald was commenting on the times and the people who lived them - people who were a product of their era and surroundings. You can't put in music from almost 100 years later and keep that connection. Again, IMHO. I'll just re-read the book.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Maybe. But it's just not my cup of tea. IMHO, if you're going to to that - move the entire setting to the present. Otherwise, it makes no sense to me. The story is dependent on the era and the times - you can't really separate them. Fitzgerald was commenting on the times and the people who lived them - people who were a product of their era and surroundings. You can't put in music from almost 100 years later and keep that connection. Again, IMHO. I'll just re-read the book.
That's how I look at it, too. I can even see the similarities between the 1920s (and Fitzgerald's commentary on them) and the present day, but that doesn't mean I want to see one of my favorite eras in modern history overlaid with current pop music (which I don't even like).

Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
I'm glad he didn't direct Titanic.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
I imagine it will work better than I would expect, but I still don't think I can stomach it. When I hear the name "Gatsby", I can't help but think early Irving Berlin, Dixieland jazz, and waltzes. To me that music is a HUGE part of that era, and the music is one of my favorite things about that era.
It's been decades since I read the book. Were Irving Berlin and waltzes part of it? Mostly what I remember is the theme of decadent, party-going cynicism and social rebellion, which doesn't much evoke waltzes.

I'm not a hip-hop fan but I can understand Luhrmann's rationale for using it as a artistical device, i.e., stand-in for that era's jazz.

I'll probably see the 3D version next week, have low expectations after reading mixed critical reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies