Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 PM

277 posts, read 506,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I am currently living (minus the health issues) the movie Temptation: "Confessions of a Marriage Counselor". I watched the movie last night. I cried only because it hit too close to home. My (soon to be ex) wife asked the other guy for an HIV test before getting involved with him. Someone mentioned the dark skinned brother is usually the bad guy, and that is correct. However when there is more than one dark skinned brother in the movie, or the dark skinned brother is the hero of the piece, it doesn't go smoothly for him either. He almost ALWAYS has a negative "catch" to him that somehow dims the character's positive light. Examples can be found in the above movie I mentioned, and "Daddy's Little Girls", "Why Did I Get Married Too?" and so on. My problem with Mr. Perry is that IMO he reinforces the idea that black men (darker skinned) have issues that some can overcome, and others just learn to live with. Either way Black women need to be wary of them. Don't fully trust them because they talk a good game, but in the end they let you down, or disappoint you. That said he does employ more black people in the entertainment industry than anyone else out there right now (that includes Mr. Lee). He can greenlight his own projects, and most important he makes money!! So the studios (Lionsgate films I believe) will be happy to distribute a movie that makes money and reinforces the belief that black men (the darker ones) are less than in the eyes of their own women!!
I have the slightest clue where you are going with your post. Temptations is based on a book. It has nothing to do with dark skin men. I don't like Tyler Perry because his messages and movies comes off as anti-women and disgust. He's also sadistic. The characters voice are loud like they talk from the top of their lungs. You don't need to talk loud for people to take you seriously. I always wonder why his characters always got to be so loud. The movie Temptations was more of a mockery than a moral lesson. Being sadistic Tyler Perry I can believe that was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
tyler perry still plays the hollywood game because he still needs distribution

there will be coonery in his movies to some extent

---

tasha smith or whoever the darkest chick in the movie at the time will have the cranked up volume

in a sense t.p. is mimicing real life

Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I have the slightest clue where you are going with your post. Temptations is based on a book. It has nothing to do with dark skin men. I don't like Tyler Perry because his messages and movies comes off as anti-women and disgust. He's also sadistic. The characters voice are loud like they talk from the top of their lungs. You don't need to talk loud for people to take you seriously. I always wonder why his characters always got to be so loud. The movie Temptations was more of a mockery than a moral lesson. Being sadistic Tyler Perry I can believe that was the case.

I was referencing the formula he uses in most of his movies where the darker skinned man is either the bad guy, or IF he is the hero there seems to be some kind of tragic back story to his character. We all have flaws, but he makes it clear that for whatever reason darker skinned black men have more problems/issues than any other character in the movie. If that doesn't send a subliminal message to all who see his movies I don't know what else is.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:55 AM

404 posts, read 385,612 times
I seemed to have noticed this too. Wonder if there's a way to bring it to his attention. Sort of like A Different World. People complained that all of the cast (99%) were light and they finally mixed it up a bit.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I remember my first Tyler Perry play.....way before the movies. My girlfriend at the time thought the play was funny and good but I was thinking along the lines of Aaron McGruder I just didnt mention it because I didnt want to seem like a hater. I saw that play in 2003 and TP still tells the exact stories.
your wrong he cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies