Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,406,256 times

Advertisements

What annoys me is when black people start complaining about Tyler Perry movies always having a message. "The message behind Temptation was cheat on your husband and you'll get HIV"..this isn't the first movie where cheating on your spouse had consequences but you don't hear anybody saying "the message behind Fatal Attraction is cheat on your wife and your daughters pet will end up boiling on the stove". Tyler Perry has yet to make a movie that didn't remind me of something that has already been made. the only difference is that his cast is majority black & he injects God somewhere in the plot.

I feel like sometimes black people just wanna complain. They don't like Spike Lee, they don't like Tyler Perry, Will Smith is a sellout, Eddie Murphy movies suck now, too much cussing and violence, too syrupy blah blah blah. Stop going to the movies and read a book. Then you can complain that there are no black movies on the big screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,130,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I feel like sometimes black people just wanna complain.
Yikes.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM

582 posts, read 1,121,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
What annoys me is when black people start complaining about Tyler Perry movies always having a message. "The message behind Temptation was cheat on your husband and you'll get HIV"..this isn't the first movie where cheating on your spouse had consequences but you don't hear anybody saying "the message behind Fatal Attraction is cheat on your wife and your daughters pet will end up boiling on the stove". Tyler Perry has yet to make a movie that didn't remind me of something that has already been made. the only difference is that his cast is majority black & he injects God somewhere in the plot.

I feel like sometimes black people just wanna complain. They don't like Spike Lee, they don't like Tyler Perry, Will Smith is a sellout, Eddie Murphy movies suck now, too much cussing and violence, too syrupy blah blah blah. Stop going to the movies and read a book. Then you can complain that there are no black movies on the big screen.
Eeeeeeasy now... don't take everything so seriously. We're just having a little fun with Tyler... I mean Mr. Perry .

Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,406,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Eeeeeeasy now... don't take everything so seriously. We're just having a little fun with Tyler... I mean Mr. Perry .
Oh I'm not upset...I'm not a superfan or anything. I'm not going to see Peoples but it seems like ALL I ever see is black people complaining about Tyler Perry movies then I remember these were the SAME black people who complained about there not being any black movies or upset because Will Smiths love interest is white, spanish, too bright skinned, and the SAME black people who complained about the shoot em up drug dealing pimp movies all the rappers were doing and the SAME black people who complained about Spike Lee movies being too deep...after awhile its like what the hell do you want to watch?

Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,291 times
I think Tyler perry is the boss he has gotten blacks whites kids grown ups and just about anybody to love something be it movies or plays I there every week for the have and the have not didn't think I would like but I do the other tv stuff I'm not a fan of the movie he played the man was good madea I can't. Get enough of like I said Tyler perry is the boss no other like him.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,872 times
I'm a black woman who isn't remotely interested in Tyler Perry movies. They all seem to have the same underlying theme telling black women not to try and "get ahead" or "stray". It's boring.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM

582 posts, read 1,121,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I'm a black woman who isn't remotely interested in Tyler Perry movies. They all seem to have the same underlying theme telling black women not to try and "get ahead" or "stray". It's boring.
I'm glad that Tyler Perry keeps numerous black actors and actresses employed, but I just wish that his movies – and his TV shows – would be more interesting.

I saw Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing a couple months ago and I thought to myself, "Damn, this is such a great movie with interesting characters and great dialogue – especially when the 3 black old timers talk about the Korean shop owners having a grocery store even though they're 'fresh off the boat,' and when Sal (Danny Aiello) explains to his son Pino (John Turturro) the reason he wants to keep his pizza shop in a black neighborhood."

Name one Tyler Perry movie that even comes close to Do The Right Thing. I can't think of a single one .

Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,420,473 times
black man here to tell you that

tyler perry makes crap movies...the kind of crap black woman love to spend money on

the only thing tyler perry ever made that was entertaining was:

house of payne (levan davis made the show funny and awesome, tyler perry not so much)

the have and the have nots (i watched the 1st season and found it entertaining)

---

all that said, i cant hate on the guy he writes the scripts, directs, acts, even writes some of the songs

dude owns his own studio and employs alot of people

thats pretty incredible

Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM

277 posts, read 507,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I confess: I'm a black woman and I do not like Tyler Perry movies, plays or TV shows.

You not the only one. I can't get into Tyler Perry movies. They always too loud for my taste. He comes off as anti-women to me. I don't find him funny and I find him to be sadistic especially if the pain is inflicted onto women. Something about the man is off. I'm not a fan of his talent.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:48 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,692,054 times
I am currently living (minus the health issues) the movie Temptation: "Confessions of a Marriage Counselor". I watched the movie last night. I cried only because it hit too close to home. My (soon to be ex) wife asked the other guy for an HIV test before getting involved with him. Someone mentioned the dark skinned brother is usually the bad guy, and that is correct. However when there is more than one dark skinned brother in the movie, or the dark skinned brother is the hero of the piece, it doesn't go smoothly for him either. He almost ALWAYS has a negative "catch" to him that somehow dims the character's positive light. Examples can be found in the above movie I mentioned, and "Daddy's Little Girls", "Why Did I Get Married Too?" and so on. My problem with Mr. Perry is that IMO he reinforces the idea that black men (darker skinned) have issues that some can overcome, and others just learn to live with. Either way Black women need to be wary of them. Don't fully trust them because they talk a good game, but in the end they let you down, or disappoint you. That said he does employ more black people in the entertainment industry than anyone else out there right now (that includes Mr. Lee). He can greenlight his own projects, and most important he makes money!! So the studios (Lionsgate films I believe) will be happy to distribute a movie that makes money and reinforces the belief that black men (the darker ones) are less than in the eyes of their own women!!

Last edited by SKP440; 12-09-2013 at 06:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies