Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM

863 posts, read 1,131,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i think they are stereotypical trash most of the time..well the madea movies.. that always have a the same story line.. some poor black woman who gets screwed over by a dark skin man, she hits rock bottom, finds jesus and some light skin man to save her..then everything is alright

however i did like for colored girls (because the source material), why did i get married movies and movies when he tells a real story and not a stereotype
Don't forget that the dark skinned man always gets some sort of comeuppance against him (cancer, shooting, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM

9,828 posts, read 11,600,548 times
I've never been a fan of him or his Male bashing movies.
I do like meet the browns though!
Every time i see him i keep thinking back of the episode of the boondocks

Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM

582 posts, read 1,121,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I've never been a fan of him or his Male bashing movies.
I do like meet the browns though!
Every time i see him i keep thinking back of the episode of the boondocks
Exactly! That episode of The Boondocks is my absolute favorite. I laughed my butt off. Aaron McGruder is the real deal; I love him !

Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM

582 posts, read 1,121,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Don't forget that the dark skinned man always gets some sort of comeuppance against him (cancer, shooting, etc).
Off the top of my head, I can't recall any Tyler Perry movie where a light-skinned brother is the bad guy. Interesting .

Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,130,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Off the top of my head, I can't recall any Tyler Perry movie where a light-skinned brother is the bad guy. Interesting .
That's because us lightskinned brothers are the non-violent ones.

I'm totally joking LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM

9,828 posts, read 11,600,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Exactly! That episode of The Boondocks is my absolute favorite. I laughed my butt off. Aaron McGruder is the real deal; I love him !
Denounce Ice Cube ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
That's because us lightskinned brothers are the non-violent ones.
According to Tyler Perry
For real though,this dude is cross dressing,bashing dark skinned men while claiming to represent god

Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,020,610 times
Not a black Woman, but I did enjoy Diary of a mad... because it was new. Can't watch it twice though and all of his movies since seems to be like watching that one over again so I have not really paid attention to them.

They are too preachy.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,407,083 times
I like Tyler Perry's plays because I enjoy the songs.
I liked Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Family That Preys & Good Deeds. The others are watchable and I'll look at them when there's nothing else on.
I hate his tv shows. Too cheesy. The writing sucks.

On one level it annoys me that he uses the same actors over & over again. On the other hand I love that he's putting black actors to work & I love that his movies make so much money cause I get tired of the Hollywood excuse that black people don't go to movies. His movies are easy to watch. They're not deep and thought provoking. I like that sometimes. I prefer him over the hood shoot em up movies like Waist Deep or Baby Boy. TP is probably as close as we'll ever get to a black romantic comedy. I'm still hoping for a Notebook/Time Travelers Wife type of movie with a black cast.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,966,492 times
I haven't watched a TP movie and don't plan to. Well ok I might watch the meet the parents like one when it comes on TV. overall I think they are way too cliche. And I general all of his enterprises are just not things I am into. I also know 4 other black women (my friends) who feel the same way.

I thought that temptation movie had a tiny bit of promise as a campy lifetime sequence movie. Then the commentary started rolling in and the loosely veiled devil metaphors eliminated that.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM

230 posts, read 316,070 times
I'm a fan of Tyler Perry's success, of course. I do enjoy his movies, especially Why Did I Get Married. When it comes to the Madea flicks and the plays - if you've seen one, you've seen them all. I just can't get in to his TV shows. I'm def a TP fan, but he's not one of my top filmmakers.

I prefer films by directors Steve McQueen, Steven Soderbergh, Sofia Coppolla and Scorcese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies