Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,499 times

Advertisements

Terminator 2 - The first one is ok but kinda dated compared to T2 and T-100 is awesome. I like Rise of the Machines more than T1 as well.

Batman Returns - I didn't even like the first Batman really, it was corny and just had too much Nicholson

X2 - One of the best superhero movies ever

Wrath of Khan - I loved The Motion Picture but Wrath of Khan is one of the best sci fi films ever

Star Trek: First Contact - If you consider Generations to begin the Next Generation movies, First Contact is far better, Generations is somewhat weak.

Toy Story 2 - Great story on a bigger scale, amazing job on expanding their universe, the first seems quaint in comparison

Spiderman 2 - although it doesnt have the Macho Man, it's a much more entertaining movie

Addams Family Values - funnier and edgier, the first one has kind of a stupid story with a fake Fester, the second one gets into hilarious satire and Christina Ricci is really good in it

The Spy Who Shagged Me: first Austin Powers is kind of lame, the second one has Fat Bastard and Mini Me, way better and that's why it's far more popular. Goldmember was a third time too many.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules - I'm almost ashamed to include this but I love both movies and the second is even better than the first lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,042 times
T2 stands out as maybe the best sequel ever for a major franchise?

-It's a James Cameron well oiled machine. The pacing, editing, dialogue. The action scenes still hold up or are better than most modern movies? Not many movies can say that.

Arnold with the minigun?
The bike chase scene?

It's one of those movies you dissect in film school. I think its held up massively well with this onslaught of CGI, special effects, comic book based movies, etc.

-Short Circuit 2, I agree. Maybe because I saw that one before the first movie when I was a kid and it influenced me.

Back to the Future II, close. Home alone 2, close.

GB2, no. It didn't have the "magic" of Aykroyd, Murray, Ramis of the first. I think the first was more fun, it had better enemies...slimer, marshmellow man.

Superman II good call.

Notice that all the movies on the list are before 2000 or 1995. Studios didn't care as much about banking on franchises, so the writing was better and more original, there was more creative freedom. Many movies now are trying to be something they're not, they're trying to make franchises out of nothing.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,235,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Terminator 2 - The first one is ok but kinda dated compared to T2 and T-100 is awesome. I like Rise of the Machines more than T1 as well.

Batman Returns - I didn't even like the first Batman really, it was corny and just had too much Nicholson

X2 - One of the best superhero movies ever

Wrath of Khan - I loved The Motion Picture but Wrath of Khan is one of the best sci fi films ever

Star Trek: First Contact - If you consider Generations to begin the Next Generation movies, First Contact is far better, Generations is somewhat weak.

Toy Story 2 - Great story on a bigger scale, amazing job on expanding their universe, the first seems quaint in comparison

Spiderman 2 - although it doesnt have the Macho Man, it's a much more entertaining movie

Addams Family Values - funnier and edgier, the first one has kind of a stupid story with a fake Fester, the second one gets into hilarious satire and Christina Ricci is really good in it

The Spy Who Shagged Me: first Austin Powers is kind of lame, the second one has Fat Bastard and Mini Me, way better and that's why it's far more popular. Goldmember was a third time too many.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules - I'm almost ashamed to include this but I love both movies and the second is even better than the first lol
I agree with Addams Family Values and I love Christina Ricci! Good to see I am not the only one who liked Batman Returns than the original! I gave you rep!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
T2 stands out as maybe the best sequel ever for a major franchise?

-It's a James Cameron well oiled machine. The pacing, editing, dialogue. The action scenes still hold up or are better than most modern movies? Not many movies can say that.

Arnold with the minigun?
The bike chase scene?

It's one of those movies you dissect in film school. I think its held up massively well with this onslaught of CGI, special effects, comic book based movies, etc.

-Short Circuit 2, I agree. Maybe because I saw that one before the first movie when I was a kid and it influenced me.

Back to the Future II, close. Home alone 2, close.

GB2, no. It didn't have the "magic" of Aykroyd, Murray, Ramis of the first. I think the first was more fun, it had better enemies...slimer, marshmellow man.

Superman II good call.

Notice that all the movies on the list are before 2000 or 1995. Studios didn't care as much about banking on franchises, so the writing was better and more original, there was more creative freedom. Many movies now are trying to be something they're not, they're trying to make franchises out of nothing.
Yeah, I think Terminator 2 is the best sequel ever for a major franchise, I never seen part 3 but I heard it is not as good as the first 2 and I have no desire to watch Terminator 4 since Arnold is not in it

I thought the Keymaster enemy in Ghostbusters is crap, Vigo is miles better....

On the last statement, that could not been more true! I think Ghostbusters 3 is going to bomb big time! I gave you rep!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Yeah, I think Terminator 2 is the best sequel ever for a major franchise, I never seen part 3 but I heard it is not as good as the first 2 and I have no desire to watch Terminator 4 since Arnold is not in it
Both T2 and ALIENS are two of the best edited films in history. Not a wasted scene.

Don't bother with T3. You know all that great pathos built in T2? All that great character development? The great character arcs? No fate but what we make? T3 basically takes a big dump on all that.

Never saw T4.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,487 times
I prefer Godfather 2 to the original.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,870 times
Has anyone ever considered that ET could be the sequel to "Close Encounters of the 3rd. Kind?"

Last edited by Pawporri; 04-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Both T2 and ALIENS are two of the best edited films in history. Not a wasted scene.

Don't bother with T3. You know all that great pathos built in T2? All that great character development? The great character arcs? No fate but what we make? T3 basically takes a big dump on all that.

Never saw T4.
Good call on Aliens

Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,382,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 was far superior to the original.

I was going to keep quiet about other people's picks but there is really someone out there who liked Ghostbusters 2 better than the original? Now I've heard everything.
Ok, I'll admit that initially I liked Ghostbusters 2 better than 1. But realize that I saw GB 2 in the theaters, when it first came out, back in 1989 and I was 11 years old at the time. I thought it was better simply because it was a new GB story. Now I realize that the original is superior. The only thing good to come out of GB 2 was that song, On our Own, by Bobby Brown.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I thought "Lethal Weapon II" was better than the first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies