Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,022,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
So all movies should now be considered companion materials to books (i.e. written material) on which they may be based? And since all movies are based on screenplays (written material), by your logic we should all read beforehand all screenplays of all movies we watch so we can understand what happens next in the movie? Those who have not read the screenplays should not bother watching any movie?
Personally, I do consider movies made from books a companion. I very rarely, if ever, watch a movie based on a book without having read it. If I do, I make it a point to read the book.

For example, I watched Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close last night and didnt realize it was a novel. I will now get the book and read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM

696 posts, read 1,304,845 times
I have some close friends like that. Seems like a waste of time to me though? Why read the book if you have already seen the movie? Read a different book may be that you don't know the story of lol ? Or how about reading non-fiction like I do - Steve Jobs biography, Abe Lincoln (no not the vampire killer, but a true biography lol), interesting self-help books that provide deep insights on life and human behavior etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Personally, I do consider movies made from books a companion. I very rarely, if ever, watch a movie based on a book without having read it. If I do, I make it a point to read the book.

For example, I watched Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close last night and didnt realize it was a novel. I will now get the book and read it.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Suicide means defeat for the state.

Wrong. The reason the head gamemaker got locked in a room with the Nightlock berries so he had to kill himself is because he didnt kill Katniss and Peeta on the spot when they defied the capital.

You do realize that the story is not complete, right? The movie is like the opening chapter of the story. If you either read the books or watch the other movies, you will come to understand the President and the state better. If you think suicide was defeating the state, you clearly do not understand. The Gamemaker who revoked the rules defied the state and that is why he was killed in the end of the movie.

In the next book:

Spoiler
The President visits Katniss and tells her that he would have blown both her and Peeta to bits if he had been there and basically tells her that she has to convince the entire nation of her undying love of Peeta or face death of her and her entire family

Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
I have some close friends like that. Seems like a waste of time to me though? Why read the book if you have already seen the movie? Read a different book may be that you don't know the story of lol ? Or how about reading non-fiction like I do - Steve Jobs biography, Abe Lincoln (no not the vampire killer, but a true biography lol), interesting self-help books that provide deep insights on life and human behavior etc.?
I do read non-fiction. I read all kinds of books, all the time.

I like to compare books and the movies made from them. I feel that if you havent read the book, you havent earned the right to see the movie or judge it properly because movies are generally summaries of the books.

I have been watching Walking Dead but just ordered the first several issues of the comics because I dont feel like I deserve to see the show without reading the source material.

If a movie is coming out based on a book I will go get the book to read it before it comes out.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
I have some close friends like that. Seems like a waste of time to me though? Why read the book if you have already seen the movie?
Because the book is usually fuller and more developed --- and sometimes completely different.

A Clockwork Orange is a brilliant book and VERY different than the movie.

Band of Brothers is a great book. The TV show was actually pretty faithful to the book, but there is SOOOO much in the book that didn't make it into the TV show. Same thing with To Kill A Mockingbird.

But now and then, this choice betrays you.

Forrest Gump is a fun flick. It is a horrible book.

JAWS is a classic movie. A masterpiece. It is a terrible book. Same thing with The Godfather. Same thing with Blade Runner.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:08 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,536,689 times
Quote:
Wrong. The reason the head gamemaker got locked in a room with the Nightlock berries so he had to kill himself is because he didnt kill Katniss and Peeta on the spot when they defied the capital.

You do realize that the story is not complete, right? The movie is like the opening chapter of the story. If you either read the books or watch the other movies, you will come to understand the President and the state better. If you think suicide was defeating the state, you clearly do not understand. The Gamemaker who revoked the rules defied the state and that is why he was killed in the end of the movie.
You're wrong. You should read what it is you are responding to before posting. I'm not talking about the suicide of the game maker (which was ordered by the state). That item is irrelevant. I am talking about the threatened suicide of Katniss and Peeta (which was not ordered by the state; in fact the state told them NOT to do it). These are 2 different things.

One of the signs of a badly-made movie is when its fans have to point out on an anonymous forum that "you have to read the book to understand the movie". That means the movie did a bad job of communicating whatever it is it is trying to convey. A good movie should be able to convey that message by itself, without benefit of any reading aids....LOL.....

I understand that people like you who like the movie have also read the book. They have made an investment in this thing that is considered sunk cost. They spent the time, effort, and money to read the book. So when the movie comes out, they gloss over its defects and praise it rather than admitting they made a bad investment. It becomes hard to be be objective about these things.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Because the book is usually fuller and more developed --- and sometimes completely different.

A Clockwork Orange is a brilliant book and VERY different than the movie.

Band of Brothers is a great book. The TV show was actually pretty faithful to the book, but there is SOOOO much in the book that didn't make it into the TV show. Same thing with To Kill A Mockingbird.

But now and then, this choice betrays you.

Forrest Gump is a fun flick. It is a horrible book.

JAWS is a classic movie. A masterpiece. It is a terrible book. Same thing with The Godfather. Same thing with Blade Runner.
Agreed. The movie usually tells you how, the book will tell you why.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I have the ultimate respect for the Christian way: Better to give up your own life than murder another.

But to become a murderer just to save yourself? That's evil, man.
And that's why Katniss killing herself instead of killing Peeta (and vice versa) is the Christian way.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Novels and movies are 2 separate art forms. They should be judged independently of each other, even if they talk about the same subject. If you compare a movie to a book, is the book now the gold standard by which movies are judged? That's absurd. Filmmaking requires a different set of skills/talents than writing a novel. One is not necessarily superior to the other, just different. That's why you can't say "well this movie is not faithful to the book, therefore the movie is bad". That's silly. That's like comparing a painting of Marilyn Monroe to a sculpture of Marilyn Monroe - which one is better? You can't do that, as these are 2 different modes of artistic expression.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
And that's why Katniss killing herself instead of killing Peeta (and vice versa) is the Christian way.
No. Self-sacrifice and suicide are not the same thing. One is noble. The other is murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies