Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,005,522 times

Advertisements

They didnt really portray the ending well in the movie. They didnt really sell the worry and anxiety that Katniss was feeling at that point knowing what kind of trouble she was really in and that everyone she loves is in mortal danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

771 posts, read 1,397,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You do realize that this movie is based on a book, right? A book that is part of a trilogy? Your points arent valid when you dont know what happens next.

By the way, good job on spoiling the movie for those that havent seen it
Exactly, how are you going to compare Star Wars to the Hunger Games? Star Wars was never based on books, so of course it had to be stand alone. It's a cop out to compare a trilogy based on itself through movies and one based on books.

I doubt Suzanne Collins was planning on the first being a movie when she wrote the trilogy.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,461 times
Quote:
Whatever dude. You obviously don't get it. Did you not see how the gamemakers controlled the game with the fire and the mutations they set loose? They were doing the same thing with Katniss and Peeta. They ALWAYS intended it for it to be only one survivor. They decided to change the rule because it would be more amusing to the audience that the couple would think that they both could live.
A good story - even fiction where suspension of disbelief is integral to the genre - should be consistent with its internal logic. If the idea to revoke the rules is to make it more amusing to the audience, that tactic didn't work. Which audience was amused? Did the movie even depict that? There were no scenes showing an outcry from the audience for Katniss and Peeta to both make it out alive. Even the people from District 12 looked stoic about the whole thing. In fact, Katniss only received help from 2 sponsors by my count. She wasn't that popular, so why did she get special treatment? Did the show's success all of a sudden depend on her? If the director wanted to show that Katniss had become popular among the audience and that letting her and Peeta survive is what the audience wanted, just so they can see them kill each other at the end, the director failed to show that either. Fact is, neither one got killed, so how is that satisfying any audience bloodlust?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,191 times
The movie was alright.

These were my complaints (never read the books)...
1) the fact this movie could have been 45-60 minutes and ended up being 2 and half hours. There must have been over 15-20 minutes (combined time) of them putting on ointment. After the first time, I didn't understand why they continued to show it. No need to push the movie into boredom spectrum by adding scenes that were unnecessary (i.e. not moving the story along).
2) the setup for a "Team Jacob/Edward" scenario.
3) the shaking camera got annoying/unnecessary at times.
4) the costumes/outfits weren't finished well i.e. like current fashion design majors accomplished them vs the pros that do movies.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I remember the scene you're talking about. I didn't see it as a deus ex machina. I saw it as driving home the point that the State was manipulating these people's lives for their own benefit, that life had become a matter of the whim of the State. Kat defied that.
She didn't defy the state. She obeyed the state to the very end. She and Peeta had it in their power to truly defy the State by killing themselves on live TV. The poison was in their hands. Suicide would have been a more elegant ending to the movie. In fact, the people from the Districts seeing the main characters' defiance could have then revolted, bringing the state to its knees. But the author and the director needed that deus ex machina in order to prolong the tale and create the need for a sequel to the book and the movie, when the story could have ended elegantly in one short book.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,586 times
I'm still sticking with my box office prediction in my original post. It took in $152 million in it's opening weekend. That will probably drop off to about $80-85 million this coming weekend and it still bodes well for my original prediction of about $285 million total domestically.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
She didn't defy the state. She obeyed the state to the very end. She and Peeta had it in their power to truly defy the State by killing themselves on live TV. The poison was in their hands. Suicide would have been a more elegant ending to the movie. In fact, the people from the Districts seeing the main characters' defiance could have then revolted, bringing the state to its knees. But the author and the director needed that deus ex machina in order to prolong the tale and create the need for a sequel to the book and the movie, when the story could have ended elegantly in one short book.
I don't think that's the case at all. By surviving the Games the way she did, Katniss not only showed up the government but becomes a symbol of hope for the rebellion. She's much more dangerous alive than dead. Had both Katniss and Peeta died the districts may have rebelled, but it would have been quashed just as quickly. With two victors the government needs to go on as if the results are great, that it's business as usual while under the surface everything is falling apart.

I still don't get your obsession with the deus ex machina thing (did you just learn that term?) In a sense the Gamemakers of the story *are* the deus ex machina. They make the arena hot, cold, light, dark, control the food supply, create a forest fire and wild dogs to force contestants together to fight. They're creating a TV show. If they can manipulate the contestants and the audience, they will.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You do realize that this movie is based on a book, right? A book that is part of a trilogy? Your points arent valid when you dont know what happens next.
So all movies should now be considered companion materials to books (i.e. written material) on which they may be based? And since all movies are based on screenplays (written material), by your logic we should all read beforehand all screenplays of all movies we watch so we can understand what happens next in the movie? Those who have not read the screenplays should not bother watching any movie?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think that's the case at all. By surviving the Games the way she did, Katniss not only showed up the government but becomes a symbol of hope for the rebellion. She's much more dangerous alive than dead. Had both Katniss and Peeta died the districts may have rebelled, but it would have been quashed just as quickly. With two victors the government needs to go on as if the results are great, that it's business as usual while under the surface everything is falling apart.

I still don't get your obsession with the deus ex machina thing (did you just learn that term?) In a sense the Gamemakers of the story *are* the deus ex machina. They make the arena hot, cold, light, dark, control the food supply, create a forest fire and wild dogs to force contestants together to fight. They're creating a TV show. If they can manipulate the contestants and the audience, they will.
LOL...no need to get personal. You seem to take my critique of the movie as a personal affront to you. Grow up.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
LOL...no need to get personal. You seem to take my critique of the movie as a personal affront to you. Grow up.
You seem to be taking a movie as a personal affront to you, so back atcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies