Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,246,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
On second thought - I just read the reports regarding the treatment of the Wolves, the mis-representation of Wolves AND the fact that the cast ate Wolf Meat provided by a Trapper. I'm now a bit dissapointed in Liam and will sadly have to Boycott this movie. I can't in all good conscience spend money to see it.
Me too. Even before reading your post. Agree with BlueWillow too.

I hate the fact that there are all these wild animals living in cages just so the entertainment industry can force them to perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,398,843 times
I will eventually see this movie when I can rent it because I hear it is well done and entertaining.
That said, the premise for this movie seems ridiculous. The number of wolf attacks on humans is extremely rare and the odds of wolves attacking a group of several adult human males is even more unlikely. About the last thing these men would have to worry about in the wilderness is a wolf attack.
This may be a good movie, but I will really have to suspend belief in order to watch it.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 PM

696 posts, read 1,304,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
About the last thing these men would have to worry about in the wilderness is a wolf attack.
This may be a good movie, but I will really have to suspend belief in order to watch it.

And my question is, what's wrong with that? The fact that an wolf attack is the "last thing these men would have to worry about" is all the more reason one should go watch it for the thrill of it!! Same is true for suspending belief...I mean, don't get me wrong I like many slow, indy movies of all nationalities that are based on real-life everyday experience of ordinary people without any added Hollywood or thrill element, but what is so wrong about seeing fictional, fun stuff presented in a realistic manner for entertainment that we don't get to see in real life? Was reading comics as kids (Superman, Batman) a crime too??

This is not a direct question or attack against you per se but more of a general statement / gripe, your post just set up the perfect example for me to quote and express myself on this topic !!!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,432,324 times
Quote:
On second thought - I just read the reports regarding the treatment of the Wolves, the mis-representation of Wolves AND the fact that the cast ate Wolf Meat provided by a Trapper. I'm now a bit dissapointed in Liam and will sadly have to Boycott this movie. I can't in all good conscience spend money to see it.
If this is true, there is NO WAY I would go see this movie.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 PM

78,717 posts, read 60,905,430 times
<shrug> Wolves eat people, people eat wolves.
Movie looks kinda lame.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM

25,877 posts, read 16,591,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This looks like a gritty survival story, With Liam and Co. vs. the elements and rather scary wolves after a plane crash. I think Liam Neeson will elevate this above the average survival story. Bradley Cooper was first considered as the lead, And despite me liking Bradley I do not think he fits that role. Liam has that real "man" quality. He is more convincing as a regular, yet tough guy that finds himself in a bad situation. With airplane liquor bottles being used as knucks.

The Grey (2012) - IMDb
Not an easy movie to watch. Very stressful and suspenseful throughout.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Is this sarcasm?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM

I guess my response to someone being offended over a couple of dead wolves? Are you offended when you watch a movie where the characters eat a steak or hamburger?

Have you ever seen a beef feed lot? If you love animals it will make you sick to see the life those cattle have. Nothing like the grass fed cattle of yesteryear that were actually allowed to see the sunlight and play with their calves.

Today they spend their entire life in a building eating high protein feed that would kill them if they didn't slaughter them first. Their calves are taken from them and they never see them again.

I grew up on a farm and I know cattle and I know the way they are. They enjoy life, they love their calves. I don't know a better mother in the animal kingdom than a beef or milker cow.

So if you want to be offended about how animals are treated? Check that out.

"The Grey" on the other hand is nothing but Hollywood. It's a story of survival and facing death, not wolves. If you can't see past that then you have issues with reality.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,752,165 times
This movie isn't about wolves really and neither is it a survivalist-themed when you get to the heart of it. Rather it is about how individuals face the inevitability of death; their belief systems regarding the afterlife; divine intervention (or lack thereof) when facing the hardships that nature can throw at us; and what we do with our final moments. So people resign easily because the odds seem too great whilst others fight to the end, preferring to take a few of the enemy down in the process. It actually reminded me of Gangs of New York a bit when Liam's character went to his - and he probably realized it at the time - his final battle in the beginning of the film. The Grey is also about how death is looked at with reference to loved ones, past and present, and how their memories can inspire us. I just saw the movie tonight and read a few reviews afterwards and some of them didn't mention any of the themes above. I also checked out a few Christian-themed movie reviews and they kept using the term nihilist in reference to the attitudes of many of the characters. That term is somewhat appropriate but I have to ask would those reviewers have had faith in the almighty if put in the same dire situation? It's easy to take potshots from the sidelines.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,166,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I guess my response to someone being offended over a couple of dead wolves? Are you offended when you watch a movie where the characters eat a steak or hamburger?

Have you ever seen a beef feed lot? If you love animals it will make you sick to see the life those cattle have. Nothing like the grass fed cattle of yesteryear that were actually allowed to see the sunlight and play with their calves.

Today they spend their entire life in a building eating high protein feed that would kill them if they didn't slaughter them first. Their calves are taken from them and they never see them again.

I grew up on a farm and I know cattle and I know the way they are. They enjoy life, they love their calves. I don't know a better mother in the animal kingdom than a beef or milker cow.

So if you want to be offended about how animals are treated? Check that out.

"The Grey" on the other hand is nothing but Hollywood. It's a story of survival and facing death, not wolves. If you can't see past that then you have issues with reality.
Don't turn this into an Animal Rights thread. All I said was that I would not see it because of the Wolves.
Same reason I would never watch the TV Series 'Luck' (2 horses died during filming).
In conclusion, it is my choice to not see The Grey for my own personal reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies