Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 PM

5,505 posts, read 6,354,215 times

Advertisements

"WOLVERINES!"

Seriously, I can believe they're remaking Red Dawn, because they're remaking everything, but I won't see it. I've seen enough of these remakes and waaaay late sequels, and they all stink. The only one that realy stood out as a good movie was "Rocky Balboa", which I thought was a great ending to the Rocky character. If you haven't seen it, it's worth it. Now, if they could only retroactively do away with Rocky III, IV and V!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
I pity the po' fool who don't like Rocky III!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM

407 posts, read 831,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
"WOLVERINES!"

Seriously, I can believe they're remaking Red Dawn, because they're remaking everything, but I won't see it. I've seen enough of these remakes and waaaay late sequels, and they all stink. The only one that realy stood out as a good movie was "Rocky Balboa", which I thought was a great ending to the Rocky character. If you haven't seen it, it's worth it. Now, if they could only retroactively do away with Rocky III, IV and V!
Yeah but 'Rocky Balboa' wasen't a remake. It was a new film in the Rocky franchise.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,861,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Since Hollywood has no original ideas, someone at MGM thought it would be a great idea to remake the 80's classic Red Dawn. Now instead of invading Cubans and Russians the movie has Chinese troops invading us...well, until MGM China having a fit and MGM scared of loosing millions in revenue.

So, with the magic of CGI, the Chinese references will be changed to our new old enemy, North Korea! A starving poor people who would probably stop at the first Carl's Jr for a jumbo burger if their army ever invaded us.

Film is expected to be released sometime in fall 2012.

EXCLUSIVE: Libertas Sees the ‘Uncensored’ Version of MGM’s New Red Dawn » LFM: Libertas Film Magazine
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

If they *had* to remake this crappy movie, they should have set it in an "alternate timeline" where the Soviets were still around or even set it back in the 80's. To say North Korea could even attempt an invasion of the USA is laughable.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,567,048 times
North Korea?????

Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,306,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Maybe we should start a separate thread on all the plot holes.

If NK invades US, you just KNOW that SK will sneak up the back of the peninsula and takes over while NK's army is away.

and:
If NK invades the US at the ...
LA area, they would be greeted by wave after wave of lawyers filing briefs <shudder, the horror, the Horror!>

SanF area: every computer driven device in the NK's army (all 12 of them) would be hacked first-thing after lunch (as the hackers woke up).

North Pacific (Redmond): MicroSoft would point out just how many Terms of Usage were violated, and end up buying the NK army as a new app and fold them into Office 2014.

South West (NM, AZ, TX, etc), they would get maybe 10 miles into the state's border and then be repulsed by the entire population, whom, to become armed, would just have to step out to their all-terrain SUV and/or pickup truck and reach behind the drivers seat to their gun racks.

South East: Well, despite southern hospitality, the NKs would probably die in the first week from a mix of heat stroke, high humidity, or be carried off (never be seen again) by their bayou mosquitoes.

NE: Forgettaboutit

Midwest? Have you driven across the Midwest?? If you don't go cornfield crazy or get highway hypnosis, it will end up being a longer drive then any NK solder has ever done. Consider: Their entire country is about 400 miles (north to south). It's more than 4 times that, just across the Midwest

and overall (and thanks to Wikipedia for the facts), just think:
The population of NK is 25 million (about the same as Texas alone), the entire US is 310 million
Gross Domestic Product per year per person = $2,400. One way air fare is about $1,400.

And finally: The film's producer Tripp Vinson stated about changing from Chinese to NK bad guys, "... we constructed a way to make a scarier, smarter and more dangerous 'Red Dawn' that we believe improves the movie."

Uh-Huh
Hollywood does it again!
I love it. Oklahoma, they'd make a demand and half the citizens would say okay, be back soon. The secret is 'soon' can be six months in OK time. And the citizens are probably better armed anyway.

As for the bolded, it might actually BE interesting if they used China but no, that wouldn't do at all.

I think I'll stick in my Collectors Edition with the death count on the screen of the real one and watch that instead.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Pilot: "At least we got 300 million screaming Chinamen on our side."

Wolverine: "I thought there were a billion Chinamen?"

Pilot: "Yeah. There were."

It would be nice if, when they remake movies, they didn't depict one of the most absurdly implausible films to ever grace a scream. After all, it's not a film that pretends to be fantasy, or science fiction, it is set in the a Cold-War-1980s-gone-bad, and it serves up large-scale Soviet paradrops in Colorado. How did they pull this off? They "disguised them as civilian airliners". I guess the FAA didn't think anything was unusual when Aeroflot decided to up its Vladivostok-Denver flight schedule from ... well, 0... to a couple hundred in a single afternoon. And the idea of the Red Army successfully crossing the Bering Strait, then driving across hundreds of miles of roadless Alaskan wetlands and mountain ranges just to get to Anchorage, all the while under hostile fire. And, for some reason, neither the U.S. nor Canada ever decided to nuke the only highway connecting Alaska to Canada and the Lower 48, thus halting the Soviet advance because why? Well, just because, I guess. Then there's the Soviet airborne troops who decide to waste a magazine emptying it into the engine block of some late-70s sedan, and who fire a shoulder-launched rocket at a pickup truck full of high school students. Guess those airborne troops missed the ammo discipline part of their training!

Finally, there's the scene of the Spetsnaz (Soviet special forces) fleeing while screaming (in terror), "Wolverines!"...

Red Dawn is indeed an entertaining movie... for the simple fact that some films are deliciously inane and absurd, and these films are even more fun to watch when they take themselves seriously. But that's the extent of the entertainment to be found therein.

Hollywood! Remake movies that don't suck!
In essense Falling Skies (Spielberg's tv project) is War of the Worlds (background scenes, Under the Martians, second half of book) and something like Red Dawn. I love it for the way it shows how history teachers and eight year old boys become soldiers when that's all thats left, but also because the ememy is a mystery and the survivors are portrayed as survivors. The origional RD had that element with the Cuban commander who just wanted to go home. The real strength of Red Dawn us vrs the ruskies was that portrait of the Wolverines and how they changed from high school kids to soldiers living on pure survival, and how they'd never be able to change back again.

The NK thing is just too stupid for me, so unless this shows up free on tv I'm out, but I have a feeling they didn't get the rest of the point either.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I pity the po' fool who don't like Rocky III!
There is a wonderful moment in one of the Airplane movies, first I think, in the guest shop. There is a poster on the wall with two aging faces who look waaay past their prime, announcing Rocky 9 vrs Rambo 7. I'm sure the poster would be a best seller. Sequals have a limit.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,960,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is a wonderful moment in one of the Airplane movies, first I think, in the guest shop. There is a poster on the wall with two aging faces who look waaay past their prime, announcing Rocky 9 vrs Rambo 7. I'm sure the poster would be a best seller. Sequals have a limit.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,302,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Pilot: "At least we got 300 million screaming Chinamen on our side."

Wolverine: "I thought there were a billion Chinamen?"

Pilot: "Yeah. There were."

It would be nice if, when they remake movies, they didn't depict one of the most absurdly implausible films to ever grace a scream. After all, it's not a film that pretends to be fantasy, or science fiction, it is set in the a Cold-War-1980s-gone-bad, and it serves up large-scale Soviet paradrops in Colorado. How did they pull this off? They "disguised them as civilian airliners". I guess the FAA didn't think anything was unusual when Aeroflot decided to up its Vladivostok-Denver flight schedule from ... well, 0... to a couple hundred in a single afternoon. And the idea of the Red Army successfully crossing the Bering Strait, then driving across hundreds of miles of roadless Alaskan wetlands and mountain ranges just to get to Anchorage, all the while under hostile fire. And, for some reason, neither the U.S. nor Canada ever decided to nuke the only highway connecting Alaska to Canada and the Lower 48, thus halting the Soviet advance because why? Well, just because, I guess. Then there's the Soviet airborne troops who decide to waste a magazine emptying it into the engine block of some late-70s sedan, and who fire a shoulder-launched rocket at a pickup truck full of high school students. Guess those airborne troops missed the ammo discipline part of their training!

Finally, there's the scene of the Spetsnaz (Soviet special forces) fleeing while screaming (in terror), "Wolverines!"...

Red Dawn is indeed an entertaining movie... for the simple fact that some films are deliciously inane and absurd, and these films are even more fun to watch when they take themselves seriously. But that's the extent of the entertainment to be found therein.

Hollywood! Remake movies that don't suck!
heh heh,

your math is off. It's 600 million screamin chinamen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies