Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,313,765 times

Advertisements

Sure liked Ryan Gosling in this film, course I like him in anything, great actor.

Plays a stuntman by day and getaway driver for gangsters at night.

also a man of very few words.

Carey Mulligan is good too, very cute. Somehow she has the ability to smile with her eyes.
I want eyes like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM

358 posts, read 471,284 times
I've been thinking of seeing this one. What did you think of the story/cinematography/etc?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,313,765 times
Being lazy, and the fact that I forget things right away, looked up this review .. and agree that's it bang-on. couldn't have said it better myself.

That and the fact that there's been little to choose from for so long now, made it a better movie. Wasn't terrific, but enjoyed it, Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan's performances kept me entertained.

‘Drive,’ With Ryan Gosling - Review - NYTimes.com

Old 09-30-2011, 04:12 PM

358 posts, read 471,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Being lazy, and the fact that I forget things right away, looked up this review .. and agree that's it bang-on. couldn't have said it better myself.

That and the fact that there's been little to choose from for so long now, made it a better movie. Wasn't terrific, but enjoyed it, Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan's performances kept me entertained.

‘Drive,’ With Ryan Gosling - Review - NYTimes.com

Nice review, thanks for sharing! I think I'll like this one and Brooks sounds fantastic

Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
Finally saw Drive, and really liked it a lot. Certainly very sparse dialogue, especially from Ryan Gosling, but it's still very tense, very scary. I'm starting to love Gosling, who can do such a wide range of roles.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,712,260 times
Okay, I'll be the wet blanket: I hated it.

I didn't like the retro 80's vibe (the frackin' music and the lettering of the credits) that is so trendy right now as well as the cliched 80's driver/tough guy details that prevailed throughout the film: the satin jacket with the [cheesy] scorpion eblem on it that he wore everywhere but, especially, liked to sling ceremoniously across his shoulder, the character actual wearing driving gloves when he was driving (and then letting them hang out of his back pocket--while he walked around with his satin jacket slung across the front of his shoulder--just so everyone would know that he was "a driver") and the lack of speech so everyone would be sure to know that he was "a tough guy." It was all just so cheesy. And I don't care how much you love a jacket:
Spoiler
when it has that much blood on it, you take it off and wash it, you don't walk around everywhere with fresh blood still on it (as well as your other clothes in which you kill people). Who does that?!

And Carey Mulligan may as well have been Michelle Williams (were they unable to get MW for the film, or did Gosling like working with her so much on Blue Valentine that he insisted that Mulligan look as much like her as possible for the part?!)

Fortunately, there were some actual, talented actors that made the film tolerably watchable: Cranston is a fabulous actor, he was really great, as were Brooks and Perlman; of course, it takes senior actors who have honed their craft to pick up the slack for the younger, albeit cuter, leads who have [yet] to be as good. I have liked Gosling's work in past, but not in this film, which seems an attempt to market him as a leading man capable of carrying a mainstream feature (he's not [yet]).

And the violence was graphic and gratuitous:
Spoiler
when I go to the movies, I do not go to see Christina Hendricks get shot in the face at almost point-blank range.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:11 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,557,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Finally saw Drive, and really liked it a lot. Certainly very sparse dialogue, especially from Ryan Gosling, but it's still very tense, very scary. I'm starting to love Gosling, who can do such a wide range of roles.
He's a great actor, I'd be hard-pressed to find other young American actors that are so versatile.

I loved the movie and must disagree with StarlaJane: I loved the 80's vibe! The neon pink title credits (Miami Vice anyone?), his jacket (he's always sexy no matter what) and the amazing music (Badalamenti's soundtrack and several of the non-original songs, like College's A Real Hero, Riz Ortolani's Oh My Love, Desire's Under Your Spell).

Not only was Ryan Gosling perfectly cast, but Carey Mulligan (also a terrific actress so far) was as well. She doesn't need to talk much, either: her character's sweetness, sadness and compassion, and also her hopes and failures, are just there when you look at her.

The movie itself was very much Michael Mann meets David Cronenberg. The modern film noir Mann does so well, where a kind of intimate view of the city of L.A. also plays a big part. And the unexpected violence and gore, brief and to the point but rather horrific to watch. Some characters are very late-Cronenberg-esque I should say.

In short: I was entertained, I was shocked, I was touched and, of course, I was glad. Not many movies right now offer so much.

Last edited by noela; 10-06-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM

my mistake, the soundtrack is not by Angelo Badalamenti! I thought I had seen his name during the credits but not, the composer is Cliff Martinez.

BTW all that 80's fetishism makes sense if you think about it: the movie references -or pays tribute to- 80's TV series and movies all the time.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,718,026 times
It looks like a cool movie and hopefully it will be good. I also want to see "Ides of March" with Ryan in it as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
It looks like a cool movie and hopefully it will be good. I also want to see "Ides of March" with Ryan in it as well.
Just don't expect a lot of action!!! It's definitely not an action-filled, fast-paced movie.

I look forward to The Ideas of March, too. I love political thrillers so it should be good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies