Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,191 times

Advertisements

Have you ever noticed that sometimes, when a movie is released, someone who gets top billing turns out to be "no big deal" years later? And someone else in the same movie, with barely a mention in the credits, goes on to be a top movie star later?
When this happens, no one bothers to re-write the credits to reflect the changes. Is this taboo or something?

A prime example is "Thelma & Louise". This is the way the credits start out:

Thelma & Louise (1991)
Director: Ridley Scott
Writer: Callie Khouri
Stars: Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen....

Okay, um, Michael WHO? Maybe he was supposed to be an up-and-coming star. Sorry, never heard of him.
Conversely, the actor who turned out to be the biggest star from "Thelma & Louise" didn't get top billing: Brad Pitt. And he still doesn't have top billing in this film. that's because the credits have never been changed.

I'm sure there are many more similar movies whose credits seem lost in time. Why don't movie credits ever get updated... and should they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,508 times
You must not be much of a film buff if you've never heard of Michael Madsen.

Who cares? Do you really expect studio execs to sit around, determine who made movies as a nobody but is a "big star" now, and then go back and re-edit the film to list his or her name before other actors? Seriously? Then what? Re-release the DVD with the updated credits?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
You must not be much of a film buff if you've never heard of Michael Madsen.

Who cares? Do you really expect studio execs to sit around, determine who made movies as a nobody but is a "big star" now, and then go back and re-edit the film to list his or her name before other actors? Seriously? Then what? Re-release the DVD with the updated credits?
Exactly..!

There's another reason why the credits don't change: Because it doesn't really matter who goes on to become how big, each movie credit is tied only to that particular movie, not to an actor's most recent achievement. Get it? Brad Pitt may be a big star now, but in Thelma & Louise, he's just another young actor with very small role so his credit will always stay that way for that movie.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Why in the world would producers reedit the credits? Once a movie's in the can, it's done.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,635 times
The entire movie really, including the credits, serves like a time capsule, so years later people go oh look how young so and so is, or look at so and so in a bit role!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
It is an INDUSTRY. People who act get billing according to what their agents can negotiate. That becomes a legally binding contract.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Never heard of Michael Madsen? You must never have seen:

Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (2, mostly)
Reservoir Dogs
WarGames
Beyond the Law
Die Another Day
Mulloland Falls
Free Willy
Donnie Brasco
Species I & II
Hell Ride (ok, I can't blame you for missing that one)

Old 02-26-2011, 02:58 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,191 times
Obviously my suggestion about updating movie credits isn't exactly a popular one. That's fine, but I still think the idea has some merit.
For instance: We all know about the power and influence that big-name stars have over the audience's movie choices. And people scanning through movie listings at home have simply passed by somewhat obscure films-- based on there being no recognizable top-billed stars listed in the original credits. If the credits had given the viewer a clue that some (later) star was featured in that movie, maybe they would have watched it. I think of it as "updating product information", so we as consumers stay well-informed.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Obviously my suggestion about updating movie credits isn't exactly a popular one. That's fine, but I still think the idea has some merit.
For instance: We all know about the power and influence that big-name stars have over the audience's movie choices. And people scanning through movie listings at home have simply passed by somewhat obscure films-- based on there being no recognizable top-billed stars listed in the original credits. If the credits had given the viewer a clue that some (later) star was featured in that movie, maybe they would have watched it. I think of it as "updating product information", so we as consumers stay well-informed.
Yes, at the time the movie is released, not to people years later shuffling through their Netflix queue.

I'm sure you don't expect the "credits" to be redone on every single copy of a movie in existence, right? Personally I find it fasciniating to look at actors that were mere "bit" parts or even uncredited that go on to better roles and fame.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 PM

76 posts, read 97,915 times
the advertising changes...and if you hit info [on your cable or satlite] remote and its up to them to type up the info, and they do put the other person in the information bar about the movie...so if thelma and louise was to be on say stars..it would say brad pit right after susan, and gina.

and at the time gina was more popular, but now susan is and her name comes first a lot of the time. if fx, or tnt is showing the movie..it prob., wouldnt reflect any different discreption.

only the premium channels really care..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies