Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I noticed you didn't pick "127 Hours" for anything. Have you seen it yet?
I have, and I was a bit disappointed by it. I really like Danny Boyle as a director and I liked what the movie was about but I just didn't enjoy the movie enough to hope it wins anything. I think too many flashbacks and hallucinations ruined it for me. There were other nominations which I favored more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Loose Change is a far-out Internet conspiracy movie. That is it.

Why are not the gas industry suing Fox? They got plenty of money and power.

Your are discrediting the movie based on what? Some sentences your read in a newspaper?
No I'm disregarding it because I am an engineer who works in the natural gas drilling industry so I know what I am talking about. Unlike some stupid environmentalist who decides that he is going to ignore the enormous amount of regulations and safety that gas companies put into place to protect fresh water from contamination just so he can trick people that don't want to bother learning about the industry.

Let me educate:
Most wells have at least 3 strings of casing in them (conductor, surface, production), that are cemented in place. Typically freshwater is fairly shallow (less that 2000'). Most gas shales are at least 5000' deep. Even if frac fluid could travel through 3000' of impermeable rock, it wouldn't be able to pass through 3 steel casing strings and 2 feet of cement. The concept is ridiculous.

But hey, if I have a camera, I can go out and film all sorts of things. I'll just make stuff up too and make a movie. Gas land is just a bunch of lies and its creator is laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited by h152cc2; 02-16-2011 at 10:41 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Toy Story 3? I did not see it, but really....

Dont knock it until you watch it. That movie made grown men cry. It would be my pick for Movie of the Year and I have seen most of the nominated movies.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Dont knock it until you watch it. That movie made grown men cry. It would be my pick for Movie of the Year and I have seen most of the nominated movies.
Seriously? Wow! I wasn't even considering going to it. Maybe I will now.

I just got back from seeing "Social Network." I thought it was really good, but not good enough to get Best Picture. I'm rooting for "The King's Speech" out of the ones I've seen so far.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There was a scene that got me a 23 year old guy a bit choked up in it. The incinerator scene was pretty intense.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,161 times
Toy Story 3 !!! YEEEHHHAAA

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
I can't believe Winter's Bone isn't up for best Director.

Basically anything Winter's Bone is up for - it should win. And especially best male supporting actor.

A non-Hollywood big box store movie. Innovative approach, stayed very true to the book, the locale, etc.
Look, if I catch a lot of the subtle layers yet they are not painted for me in crayon - its because its well written, well directed, well produced, well acted.
This movie fired on all cylinders.

Best Actress has become a beauty pagent/popularity contest. Young good looking males rarely win (those old jealous guys) - I don't even pay much attention to those two anyway.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Well, then I want to see an independent study. The EiD represent the gas industry. Why should they be more trusted than the documentary maker? Their "debunking" document has been criticized by other experts. Claims versus claims.
the difference between EID and the Fox guy that made the "documentary" is that EID is an educated group in regards to Oil & Gas...

Fox made "claims" based on emotions, EID makes "claims" based on facts...

i'm curious where the "dubunking" has been criticized, do you have any links to show...i'de be interested in reading.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,650 times
I don't know how you can say which movie should win best picture if you have not seen them all.

I have seen them all and if either Social Network or The Kings Speech wins I'll be very happy. Both are well deserving.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times
I think True Grit or Black Swan should take home Best Picture...

But then again-- I haven't seen "The Kings Speech"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies