Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:41 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,379,471 times

Advertisements

Abit off subject but has anyone seen the movie AI ,it was a good movie, it just left me depressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 AM

28,979 posts, read 30,370,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Abit off subject but has anyone seen the movie AI ,it was a good movie, it just left me depressed
No I haven't, but tell me...why was it great, and depressing, without giving away to much...? Love movies...but not usually fond of ones that are depressing...love those feel good movies....and high action movies...like Perfect Storm, Hunt for Red October..Das Boat...The Postman, Message in a Bottle, The Colour Purple, JFK, A Christmas Story, Legend of 1900, Narnia, so so many...so yes, please share....

Thanks

Creme

Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,044,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No I haven't, but tell me...why was it great, and depressing, without giving away to much...? Love movies...but not usually fond of ones that are depressing...
I'd stay away, then. It's a very dystopic movie dealing with the end of the human race via global warming and a subsequent Ice Age. Decent in its execution, though Spielberg totally botches his intended Stanley Kubrick tribute to the movie (Kubrick was the initial choice for making the movie) by tacking on a (sort of) happy ending. I flip-flop between liking it in some viewings and thinking it a piece of crap in others. Kinda depends on your mood

Old 08-04-2007, 07:25 AM

28,979 posts, read 30,370,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I'd stay away, then. It's a very dystopic movie dealing with the end of the human race via global warming and a subsequent Ice Age. Decent in its execution, though Spielberg totally botches his intended Stanley Kubrick tribute to the movie (Kubrick was the initial choice for making the movie) by tacking on a (sort of) happy ending. I flip-flop between liking it in some viewings and thinking it a piece of crap in others. Kinda depends on your mood

thanks for the heads up

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 187,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I thought it was one of the best,unusual and brilliant movies I have seen.Its in sub titles-- OF COURSE-Its a foreign movie! It is not for kids,but was an amazing movie experience. The nastiest villain in a long time,brutal war scenes,but thats war.I recommend it to any movie buff--who understands its a foreign film and is not dubbed
I agree. I thought it was a wild movie and really good. Yes, it was violent but it was advertised as a fantasy for adults. It's not meant to be watched by children.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,358,865 times
Quote:
.... When Mercedes made a half-Joker cut to Vidal’s face, and he proceeded to sew it up, I was sitting there saying “ohhh mannnn”. When he took that drink of whiskey and it seeped between the stitches and made a whiskey-blood stain on the bandage, ....
Personally, I was hoping he'd choke. I couldn't help but wonder what would've been Carmen's fate had she delivered a female child..... That the infant would have been killed is a given.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,398,960 times
I liked this film. It was really a brilliant creative effort on the part of del Toro. I'm not one who is drawn toward violent films and I don't like gratuitous violence, but in this film, I didn't think it was gratuitous. It seemed appropriate because the story takes place during Franco's Fascist period in Spain. The fairy tale aspect is very well done and I wasn't put off by it being so dark, because I was expecting 'fairy tale' to be more like the original Brothers Grimm, and not like Disney.

If you like this one, I highly recommend del Toro's 'The Devil's Backbone.' That is set in the same period (and it's also in Spanish).

Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,640,704 times
I usually avoid violent films too,but I agree with what you say about this one.I was hoping she would have cut him alot worse then just the face,,HOW COULD I HAVE THOUGHT THAT but thats just what was going thru my mind I go so caught up in the film.I knew her cutting his face would not down him. I will look for "devils backbone',,never heard of it,but imagine its a rental

Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 PM

694 posts, read 2,655,051 times
Thumbs up
They can't all be Disney.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
Quote:
[FONT=Times New Roman]Pan's Labyrinth[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I don't ever remember being so disappointed in a movie in a long time. They called it a fantasy/fairy tale??? First it was done in Spanish, with English Sub Titles….I was shocked at the content of violence…Sergei Lopez delivered a characture portrayal of a psychopath, narcissistic lacking conscience, representing a government completely infected by emotionless leaders. I saw nothing good about this movie, and question those who would deem this entertainment, other then the special effects. It was to me, brutally violent…dark and the dubbing distracted from the emotions emitted by the actors. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]Just didn't see what all the hype was about, especially the reviews…as I said, kinda makes you ponder the fact, what does American Society deem entertainment today? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]What are your thoughts on the movie? Is it me? [/FONT]
Well yeah it had violence, but it wanted to depict the cruelty that dominated these years and i think it succeeded...And what do you mean when saying "first it was done in Spanish, with English subtitles.."? Oh yeah right this is something that certainly lowers the quality of a movie... OMG!!!! Are you kidding me???THIS IS A DIFFERENT MOVIE, A EUROPEAN MOVIE, AND NOT A STUPID AMERICAN ONE!! And this is why it has subtitles idiot, you Americans should really once come to our places and see a movie WITH SUBTITLES as all other countries do, and let foreign movies be developed too! There's not only Hollywood you know!!!Go learn a foreign language then, if subtitles bother you so much, as we are forced to learn English! I watch movies with subtitles everyday, both on cinemas and on the TV, and i dont bother...God is it so tragic?And how can the dubbing "distract you from the emotion emitted by the actors"? Is it so difficult to combine words with scenes? Watch more foreign films and get used to it...Jesus....But i wouldnt expect anything else. This film is something very different and special which is worthy of every award it has taken, that makes your mind speculate over its many hidden messages, which as i see you didnt even notice. You have to use your brain to see this movie, and understand it completely.That's why it is not for little kids...You shouldnt think of the differences it has with an American film and how odd it was to you as smth foreign, but think of the differences it has in quality. And i can only laugh at your last question.You thought that it was such a cruel movie that you wonder what American society deem entertainment today?OH MY GOD!! I have seen much more violent American movies!! LOL. But ok i know it was too cruel for you, as American movies are nooo violent at all. I suggest you to watch HOSTEL a very nice film which i think you will really like it, and as it is from your country you wont have to watch it with subtitles Yeah, i think this will satisfy you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies