Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,069,730 times

Advertisements

This movie is NOT for children, but it sure is good.
Set in Civil War Spain, it is a mixture of fantasy and brutal (and I do mean brutal) realism. A little girl is assigned a series of difficult tasks. Lives are in the balance.
Incredible makeup and set design. Anyone else see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,406,258 times
I haven't seen it but I really want to after seeing it pick up all of those Oscars last month. I had only heard the name in passing before and then googled it after the Awards and it sounded interesting. I'll check it out soon.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:57 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,129,829 times
From my post in the "movies" thread.

Glad to hear you liked it. As I mentioned earlier, worth paying the extra $$$ to see it on the big screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Speaking of movies...

I know we've mainly been discussing titles on DVD, but I went to the theater this weekend and saw "Pan's Labyrinth " ("El Laberinto del Fauno").

Wonderful acting. Beautiful cinematography. Very violent (definitely not for the kiddos!)

Glad I was able to see it on the big screen, although the film left me a bit "down" for the rest of the day and I had disturbing dreams last night.

Would love to hear others' opinions.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:15 PM

11,403 posts, read 24,498,175 times
I was scared to see it. I don't do well with violence or tragedy. Still, one of these days I will watch it, but not now.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,268,090 times
Default Pan's labyrinth

I caught Del Toro's interview on NPR's "Fresh Air" segment. The interview was enough to make me have nightmares.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,069,730 times
I'll have to find the interview online.
I really liked the movie, and found it uplifting rather than a downer, but yes, it had some really hard to watch moments.
In a way, it reminded me a bit of Children of Men. So bleak, yet with a kernel of hope, and beautifully shot.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:29 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,129,829 times
Default Film For Wimps (like me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I was scared to see it. I don't do well with violence or tragedy. Still, one of these days I will watch it, but not now.
I have a weird thing about torture.I cannot bear it (keeps me from being a dyed-in-the-wool Tarantino fan). It bothers me more than other forms of violence. It applies to both humans and animals. I can handle quick and painless death(I accept that as a necessary part of nature)....but not torture and suffering {{{shudder}}}.

That being said, this is still an excellent film, and if you are intrigued, I would suggest viewing the film with a close and trusted friend. That's what I do. I close my eyes at those torture scenes and ask "is it ok?" A quick squeeze of the hand , and I know it's ok to open my eyes.

I have a (personal) problem with graphic, violent and colorful nightmares and need to limit my exposure to such outside images...but as an artist I also enjoy great film and don't want to rob myself of certain cinematic experiences.

This film, really, does end on a hopeful note and the cinematography is excellent.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,145,242 times
I listened to the interview after I saw your post--and it made me want to see the film and push it up on my Movies List.

Del Toro is a fascinating thinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I caught Del Toro's interview on NPR's "Fresh Air" segment. The interview was enough to make me have nightmares.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM

320 posts, read 955,408 times
it was a pretty aweosme movie very unique and that's why i loved it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies