Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Great movie.

Come back down to reality. Life isn't always about happy endings, puppy dogs, lollipops, and rose petals. Especially in the 1940's, and in Europe. With that said, if you actually had any depth to you, you would realize that it was the happiest ending of them all because she got exactly what she wanted.
Uh.. thank you for the enlightment, I think. It is exactly because there are so many unhappy endings in life that I want my fiction to have a different ending. If I want reality, I'd watch the evening news, thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman]Pan's Labyrinth[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I don't ever remember being so disappointed in a movie in a long time. They called it a fantasy/fairy tale??? First it was done in Spanish, with English Sub Titles….I was shocked at the content of violence…Sergei Lopez delivered a characture portrayal of a psychopath, narcissistic lacking conscience, representing a government completely infected by emotionless leaders. I saw nothing good about this movie, and question those who would deem this entertainment, other then the special effects. It was to me, brutally violent…dark and the dubbing distracted from the emotions emitted by the actors. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]Just didn't see what all the hype was about, especially the reviews…as I said, kinda makes you ponder the fact, what does American Society deem entertainment today? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]What are your thoughts on the movie? Is it me? [/FONT]

I'm not insulting your intelligence in any way, but, honestly, you could not be more wrong about this movie. I am currently in the process of writing an extensive paper analyzing its moral, philosophical, and societal implications, and took a completely unnecessary not to mention untimely break to defend this film. Aside from the fact that the acting is excellent, Del Toro incorporates, rather beautifully I might add, endless connections both within the film itself and from outside sources, including the Bible and Dante's Inferno.

This is an insanely complex work of art, and deserves recognition as such.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Pan's Labryinth was a very creative movie. Not to mention it was very nice to look at. Well above the typical...

Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,853 times
I just watched this movie this afternoon, and although it was not what I expected, I did enjoy it. I knew it was going to be violent, so I was prepeared for that, I just didn't know anything about the story line. But overall, I thought it was creative, fresh, and quite entertaining. I don't think the violence was "pointless" as some have mentioned. I think it really captured the extremely harsh place and time they were living in. Most of us here in the US cannot imagine what life must have been like during WWII in Europe. So it takes gross examples (such as the bad guy, the "Captian") to get the point across. I actually forgot that I was watching a film with subtitles because I got so caught up in it. The effects, the acting, and the mixture WWII and a fantasy land combined to make a great movie. Above all, her self sacrifice was a bittersweet, yet great ending to the movie.

As a side note, isn't the guy who made this also directing the Hobbit and its sequel? (With Peter Jackson as the producer)

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I just watched this movie this afternoon, and although it was not what I expected, I did enjoy it. I knew it was going to be violent, so I was prepeared for that, I just didn't know anything about the story line. But overall, I thought it was creative, fresh, and quite entertaining. I don't think the violence was "pointless" as some have mentioned. I think it really captured the extremely harsh place and time they were living in. Most of us here in the US cannot imagine what life must have been like during WWII in Europe. So it takes gross examples (such as the bad guy, the "Captian") to get the point across. I actually forgot that I was watching a film with subtitles because I got so caught up in it. The effects, the acting, and the mixture WWII and a fantasy land combined to make a great movie. Above all, her self sacrifice was a bittersweet, yet great ending to the movie.

As a side note, isn't the guy who made this also directing the Hobbit and its sequel? (With Peter Jackson as the producer)

I agree with the above posters, it was a complex,intellegent, beautiful movie, and I watched it again as I was so enthralled the first time, I knew I missed somethings. I hope you are correct that he is directing the "HOBBIT", it should make for great cinema.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
it was too violent, depressing, and could have had more fantasy.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 PM

21 posts, read 86,799 times
for it being all in subtitles it was actually a really good movie i personally lovedit and so did my hubby

Old 08-09-2008, 11:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
If you consider it from Ofelia's point-of-view, it actually did have a happy ending: Princess Moanna returned home. Several fans of the movie decided to carry the story on from there, and resolved the relationship between Moanna and the Faun in a more ... ehhhh .... romantic turn I think these are people who do/would love Beauty and the Beast, only accepting the Beast for what he is and not need the transformation into a Handsome Prince

Pan's Labyrinth FanFiction Archive - FanFiction.Net
I thought it had a happy ending too.

It gave the me same feeling I hadnt had since I read " a little princess" when I was much younger. I liked it.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
Just so people know. The genre of this movie is not a fantasy or sci-fi or fairy tale... You can see that clearly on the genre label. This was actually a drama. The "fantasy" you see is actually the imaginations of Ophelia. Any literary critic could see that as her real life gets worse, her "fantasies" get better. The climax is her death, the worst part of her reality, paralleled with her imaginations of entering this magical and beautiful world. Her imaginations are an escapade from the harsh and brutal reality of her life. It was a beautiful and tragic movie, if you can appreciate and see what the director is trying to portray.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 PM

228 posts, read 555,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakers View Post
Just so people know. The genre of this movie is not a fantasy or sci-fi or fairy tale... You can see that clearly on the genre label. This was actually a drama. The "fantasy" you see is actually the imaginations of Ophelia. Any literary critic could see that as her real life gets worse, her "fantasies" get better. The climax is her death, the worst part of her reality, paralleled with her imaginations of entering this magical and beautiful world. Her imaginations are an escapade from the harsh and brutal reality of her life. It was a beautiful and tragic movie, if you can appreciate and see what the director is trying to portray.
Well said. Beautiful yet tragic is exactly what this story is.
One of the best films I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies