Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:13 AM

28,946 posts, read 30,297,243 times

Advertisements

well, I suppose it was the violence that shocked me..I didn't read up on it, b/c of the awards..and I kept waiting for the fantasy part to get going....

I expected it to be on the order of Narnia...and when the leading actor, exploited his first scene of violence, it shocked me to no end...never saw it coming....(the extremes of violence that it went to) I mean, why? Why is that good????? It was awful and sick and disgusting to me?

And I don't mean any insult to anyone....it just grabbed me by the stomach and made me sick....?

But from now on, I will most certainly screen my movies....and as I said, I'm a movie buff and there isn't much that surprises me....even Hannible didn't get to me nearly that much? I want to be entertained, not shocked out of my skin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what was it about the movie that had substance?
The set design was *dazzling* to me. I mean, I might even buy the DVD because I'd just like to see it all again.
The writing blew me away as well. The very quality that you did not like, the combination of wartime violence and fairytale fantasy, totally wowed me.
Obviously, this is not the first time that such a story--a child going into a fantasyland in an escape from brutal reality--has been told.
But to me, del Toro really did something a bit different (the Pale Man,that root baby,Ofelia's dangerous challenges, Mercedes' secret) even if he was, as has been said, influenced by traditional Grimm's fairytales (and those could be rather dark themselves, I still have my Grimm's collection from when I was a kid.)
Fantasy is just that: fantasy, makebelieve--and so is reality, I suppose I enjoyed the richness of both qualities.
I do understand that graphic violence can be really tough to watch, and I definitely can appreciate that it went too far for some viewers.
Oh--I need to correct a mistake I made earlier: Guillermo del Toro is from Mexico, not Spain. Sorry about that!
Creme
BTW--Did you watch the movie in subtitles, or was it dubbed? You do know that dubbing is when there are no subtitles, and another language is put into the soundtrack?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,621,807 times
Great post cil,,can I say "ditto" to that Yes,dubbing is like in the old Japanese Godzilla movies,they never could get the mouth and words any where close together

Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM

Cil, yes I know, just got carried away with emotions on the subject, and fogot, but yes, your correct...dubbing and sub titles are two different entities. Sorry.

Yanno, I thought about your comments, which were all very good...and made a lot of sense....and the fact of the matter is, perhaps I'll watch it again to, only this time, with a much better perspective....

It was simply that I was expecting one thing, and when he bottle whipped that famer's face, then shot him, well, quit frankly, it took me to a whole different place like "saving privet ryan" did. And I couldn't remain objective, yanno? Silly me?

But appreciate very much you taking the time to explain and discussing the issue with me, without condemnation...or judgement, which has now given me an entirely new perspective. Thank you!!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

It was simply that I was expecting one thing, and when he bottle whipped that famer's face, then shot him, well, quit frankly, it took me to a whole different place like "saving privet ryan" did.
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.
That moment had a viciousness to it that made me go "uh oh."
But as Ofelia's and Mercedes' relationship developed, I appreciated their strength and their determination. I guess Mercedes actually had two secrets. It seems like the theme of blindness is used a lot in the movie; I am sure plenty of symbolism went over my head.
Maybe we should ask a mod to put "Spoilers" in the title of the thread.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.
That moment had a viciousness to it that made me go "uh oh."
But as Ofelia's and Mercedes' relationship developed, I appreciated their strength and their determination. I guess Mercedes actually had two secrets. It seems like the theme of blindness is used a lot in the movie; I am sure plenty of symbolism went over my head.
Maybe we should ask a mod to put "Spoilers" in the title of the thread.

That is not a bad Ideal!!!!!!

Many thanks again....

Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
The set design was *dazzling* to me. I mean, I might even buy the DVD because I'd just like to see it all again.
Do. And get the two-DVD set. The second DVD has an interview with del Toro where he explains much of his background and ideas that went into the composition of the movie. I found the makeup part of the DVD interesting. del Toro was apparently quite intent on making his creatures detailed. I froze the screen at one part where the actor was being put into the Faun costume and said "omigosh". *ahem* The Faun appears to be "anatomically correct" I'm surprised no one asked the director about that.

Picturehouse has a forum for "Pan's Labyrinth". A LOT of people were upset by the violence (oh well. that's what IMDB.com is for); moreso because the movie was in Spanish with subtitles - which don't particularly match the dialogue. del Toro chose to have the actors speak an archaic form of Spanish that even modern Spanish speakers might end up scratching their heads, to hear it

For those really interested (can you tell yet that I am a HUGE fan of the movie ) go to youtube and do a search on the movie title, director or actors. You'll find quite a bit of information about the movie listening to their interviews.

One bit of trivia: the actor who plays El Fauno and the Pale Man: Doug Jones, has become a steady actor in the del Toro film works. He plays Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies. And for those who were disturbed by the character of the Faun, check the actor's webpage. He has some behind the scenes stuff that is cute. Ex: The Faun's favorite drink is Coke

Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,490 times
Default Pan's Labyrinth.......Penetrating...............

I have watched the movie twice now and will view it a third time. This time I will focus my attention soley on Faun. He turned out to be OK didn't he. Interesting he is.....

Franco's Spain was a violent and trecherous place for those who opposed him.
There were those advocates who loved him....He depicted himself as the Great Father/ Provider of Spain. Read about the regime of Francisco Franco.
Much blood lust as was captured in the film ie: the violent nature.

I thoroughly enjoy films with sub-titles. Such media draws me into the film allowing for my total absorption. I have to pay attention. Excellent production.

Definitely not for young children however. Over age eleven a must see.
Spiritwalker

Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
I have watched the movie twice now and will view it a third time. This time I will focus my attention soley on Faun. He turned out to be OK didn't he. Interesting he is.....
I had a sudden thought last night to check for fan fiction. I know some people aren't satisfied with the way a film ends and decide to extend it; adding detail and sometimes broadening a character.

My goodness. There aren't that many stories, but the prevailing theme in them is that Ofelia dies, rejoins her parents in the underworld and becomes Moanna (sp?). The writers carry the relationship between the Faun and Moanna farther, interpreting his role as being one where he not only puts her through the tests so she can prove herself to be the rightful princess, but so that they can marry once she reaches adulthood. Interesting.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 35,634 times
The movie took place during the Spanish civil war. Many times in those circumstances there are many horrors and horrible people. Capitán Vidal was such a horrible person involved with Ofelia's mother, Carmen. [Keep in mind, he's a fascist- remember who else in history was fascist and how violent they were.] It seemed as it should have been perfect for Carmen to be involved with a captain in the military, but I suppose that during the beginning time of courting Carmen, Vidal had not showed her how violent he was. After that time, Carmen was able to find out and try and hide how hurt she was, yet Ofelia was affected by her situation greatly and was forced to invent the fawn and the fairy tale creatures from her books as an escape from reality. No one really knows what heaven is. The ending could be her going to heaven with her deepest desire as reality.
<br>This movie was excellent in story and had amazing computer graphics and makeup as well as set design. In my opinion it was one of the best movies I have seen, deserving its spot in foreign films. Remember, as a foreign film it is quite different from American films - a european movie about spelunking of which I can't remember the name right now, had an alternate ending just for America, because the Europeans thought it would be too horrific for the Americans to view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies