Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,469,356 times

Advertisements

How many folks have ridden for years, or have always wanted one, but no longer do because they are more common now than Hondas. Every loafer wearing legal aid has one.---I saw a shirt the other day that said it all--"I wanted a Harley till I saw yer dumb a** had one." ----Put a smile on my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,420,633 times
I grew up around a lot of bikers. Back when they had long hair, bathed rarely, and partied almost every weekend. The Hells Angels have a club not far from my Dads, and we'd go hang out there with his biker freinds with names like, "The Pope" and "Garbage mouth".

I would never buy a new Harley. They really aren't any better then a honda, or a suzuki, in my opinion today.

Now, if you give me a old bike, something I can tinker on, and with some personallity, yeah, I'd be into that.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
Here's how I look at it, Motorcycles manufacturers unlike most cars have been pretty iconoclastic in mechanical design and esthetics, as a result, brand loyalty becomes something of a personal statement. Folks who ride British or Italian twins are one kind of rider, those who ride BMW's is another, just as folks who jump on the newest fastest Japanese rice burner constitutes another type of motorcyclist. If you are going to ride in full cruiser mode, there is only one bike, a Harley, everything else is just an affectation regardless of its supposed mechanical superiority.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,451,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
How many folks have ridden for years, or have always wanted one, but no longer do because they are more common now than Hondas. Every loafer wearing legal aid has one.---I saw a shirt the other day that said it all--"I wanted a Harley till I saw yer dumb a** had one." ----Put a smile on my face.
So you no longer ride at all?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,687,271 times
I rode bikes for a number of years beginning in the sixties and quit riding sometime around the middle eighties, I rode Hondas, Suzukis, and Harleys, I quit riding the hogs because they could never offer the comfort or dependability of the Japanese machines. Harleys were thought to be the lowest bike out there based on performance stats, but I couldn't help but notice the draw they had for the novice rider.

Yes, they look cool, no doubt about it, but Harley has counted on their advertising and super patriotic bent to sell an inferior motorcycle. I laugh every time I see the "posers" on their Hogs, "ape hanger bars" and shaking engines have become the look and feel that the novice rider thinks is cool. Most of the guys that own and ride a Hog know nothing about the finer points of motorcycling, they can't do even the simplest repairs, or change a bike tire.

As far as flat out performance goes the Hogs are still an inferior bike, poor braking, weight distribution, acceleration, and overall dependability, are still holding them back from being a true competitor in the racing world. They have improved but not to the point that I'd want to ride one accross the country.

What Harley Davidson has accomplished is one of the most successfull advertising programs ever, they were absolute wizzards in their affiliation with the flag and tough guy image rolled into the new Marlboro Man. Had they put the money into the product rather than the "image advertising" they might not have been able to sell the bikes in the numbers they did, in this respect they are very successfull.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
So you no longer ride at all?
I will never quit riding. I got my first "Triumph Tiger 500 Scrabler" in 64. Man, was I cool. hahahhahaha--Since then I have owned at least one offering from most of the major companies. I now have three. But in truth, I have been having fun with this old beater Rat Jeep, I traded an 83 Honda, 1100 F for. It is a blast, and I can carry my cooler and stuff. I like to take my stuff when I go places.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

Yes, they look cool, no doubt about it, but Harley has counted on their advertising and super patriotic bent to sell an inferior motorcycle. I laugh every time I see the "posers" on their Hogs, "ape hanger bars" and shaking engines have become the look and feel that the novice rider thinks is cool. Most of the guys that own and ride a Hog know nothing about the finer points of motorcycling, they can't do even the simplest repairs, or change a bike tire.
As opposed to novice riders on Japanese superbikes all of which have drop scars on their fairings and tire wear that demonstrates that they have never, ever, approached the handling limits of the bike? And speaking of posers, how many rode rocket riders are kitted out in full leathers and the lastest Rossi signature helmet, to say nothing of not knowing how to change a spark plug much less set up their suspension?

Like I said, my taste in bikes has run from a Dunstall Norton to a Ducati Super Sport 750 with a couple of Hondas and Kawasakis thrown in between, but I have know a lot of Harley riders over the years and everyone of them was a gearhead, as well has being some awesome riders, we just had different esthetics when it came to riding.

PS - I would rather spend a weekend mopping up the equivalent of the Exxon Valdez oil spill from a Norton, or an entire week of adjusting a set of Dell'Orto carbs than a month of worry free days riding the average Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. But that's me.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Harley's, have style--and I've ridden most everything. they look good, sound great, and the Gals dig em. Plus my days of gong faster than the speed of light have past me by, thank God. so now days, I like comfort and cruisin''

Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,283,403 times
Way over priced!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Way over priced!
Only if you don't have the money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles