Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 05:25 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

I'm in SW FLA, 7 miles from the ICW....15 minutes.

I have power boat fever, & have attended shows, shopped online, visited nearby marina's, to educate myself. I've been in researching for 1 year.

I've nixed boat clubs...no heads, & uninspiring boats. I want a higher end boat than that.

I did a yacht charter, & it was nice, so that is "plan b", but they're 1+ hrs away...no nice ones closeby...just fishing charters...nah.

If I bought a boat, kept it 3 yrs, I could enjoy it, create memories, get it out of my system, & sell it. I'm prepared that to cost me $100k+, $33k/yr. Purchase budget max $400k.

I'd need to buy a highly desireable boat brand/model/type, & maintain it well, so it would be easily re-sellable.

I'm not into fishing, but I feel I must buy a boat that is fishing capable for re-sale....maybe a "crossover" type boat...28'-34'.

https://www.boats.com/reviews/hot-cr...oats-for-2021/

I like what I read about Boston Whaler, Pursuit, Sea Ray, Grady-White...the major brands that have dealers nearby w/ a marina for storage, service, & fuel. Marina space is very tight.

I'd likely buy a boat that is near-new, 1-2yrs old, w/ <100 hrs on dual outboards, with an extended warranty. I'd sell it when the engine warranty ends.

I've read boat buyers use their boats a lot early on, then get bored & stop using them, which is why I'm pursuing a 3-year plan. I'm trying to be realistic...eyes wide open.

How long do people typically keep boats, & why? What age boat is the cost-of-ownership sweetspot?

Why do boat owners seem to exchange boats so much? I prefer to buy the right boat the 1st time.

Are boats like cars...buy near-new to dodge some depreciation, but still under warranty to minimize mtc costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 09:10 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Boats can be a lot of fun, but they can also be a lot of trouble and and a lot of expense. Are you retired and looking for something to cruise/weekend on the ICW? Or just go out for the day mostly? You can't go wrong with Boston Whaler and Grady White, but a 30-footer will be a lot of dough.

If it's mainly for sightseeing, swimming, socializing, and maybe weekending for a couple, Back Cove is a Maine-built boat that offers an attractive, quality boat without breaking the bank. Here are some videos on their 2018 32-footer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JPRrG0N0Ls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwhTtDDd9R0
https://www.backcoveyachts.com/owner.../back-cove-32/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-04-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-04-2021, 09:19 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Bring
On
Another
Thousand

Old 12-04-2021, 10:52 AM

[quote=OutdoorLover;62438911]Boats can be a lot of fun, but they can also be a lot of trouble and and a lot of expense. Are you retired and looking for something to cruise/weekend on the ICW? Or just go out for the day mostly? You can't go wrong with Boston Whaler and Grady White, but a 30-footer will be a lot of dough.

If it's mainly for sightseeing, swimming, socializing, and maybe weekending for a couple, Back Cove is a Maine-built boat that offers an attractive, quality boat without breaking the bank. Here are some videos on their 2018 32-footer.

I own a company that other's run, so I'm semi-retired. I oversee things ~1hr/day from anywhere that has internet & cell phone signal, & U.S. mail.

I have the income to cover boat costs, especially after my Son graduates college in 5 months. The cash I was spending on college, will shift to the boat.

I've heard the ICW gets old fast. A boat sales guy says 30'+ if I want to go out into the Gulf a lot,& do overnights. He also suggested dual outboards, versus inboard due to mtc costs/issues. More in fuel costs but less in mtc costs he said.

In Florida, I'd like to run from Honeymoon Island off Dunedin down to Marco Island, & maybe to the Keys and Bahamas after I get enough experience. I'll need a generator, & a/c in case I cant find transient dockage on trips.

He said anything longer than 36' is tough to dock at most waterside restaurants.

The Back Cove's are A+, but more than I want to spend. The 2 lightly used 34's on the boat sales web sites right now are ~$600k. I prefer to not exceed $400k.

$400k wont buy a 2022 model new boat that fits my needs, so I need to go to 1-2 yrs old to get down to my price point, like this:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/202...20-ob-7979029/

Or, a Pursuit 325 offshore 2019-2020 model like this one (only closer to home):

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/202...shore-7965748/

Old 12-04-2021, 11:04 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
I have owned 8 fishing boats as well as several runabouts and pontoon boats.
When I lived in Pensacola I had a 24' Sea Hunt with a 200HP 4 stroke Yamaha. I used it for fishing Pensacola Bay and the ICW mostly but also took it out several miles into the Gulf to fish.

Sounds like you want something larger. All the brands you named are quality boats. I suggest you search sites such as boat trader for something used. Well taken care of boats last waaaaaay beyond warranty period.

Make sure you have a good GPS system as well as sonar unit. I also recommend radar to keep an eye on the weather. You'll also need a good radio for weather and also to monitor the emergency frequencies.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 12-05-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I have owned 8 fishing boats as well as several runabouts and pontoon boats.
When I lived in Pensacola I had a 24' Sea Hunt with a 200HP 4 stroke Yamaha. I used it for fishing Pensacola Bay and the ICW mostly but also took it out several miles into the Gulf to fish.

Sounds like you want something larger. All the brands you named are quality boats. I suggest you search sites such as boat trader for something used. Well taken care of boats last waaaaaay beyond warranty period.

Make sure you have a good GPS system as well as sonar unit. I also recommend radar to keep an eye on the weather. You'll also need a good radio for weather and also to monitor the emergency frequencies.

Good luck and have fun!
Thx! I scour the new listing's on Boat Trader, Boats.com, and Yachtworld daily.

Used boats values are sky high now though, & that is giving me pause. Also waiting for Son to greaduate college so I wont have both costs at the same time.

I like the warranty protection as a safeguard against a huge repair during my 3-year stint as a boat owner.

I'll already have these costs to tally up:

-depreciation will be the #1 cost

-slip rental will be the #2 cost (depending upon type $600-$850/mo) if I can even find one!

-fuel #3 cost, depending upon how often and how many hrs used

-insurance #4 cost?

-maintenance #5 cost if I get a 1-2 yr olf boat still under warranty, & sell when the warranty ends.

-tipping marina help I'm told $20 each time you return

-tranisient slip costs ($70/night)

I wonder if $2k/mo will cover everything except depreciation? That would be $72k for 3 yrs.

Depreciation: I'm think a $1-2 yr old $400k boat I buy in 2022 is worth ~$300k 3 yrs/300hrs later, so $100k in depreciation costs.

$172k for 3 yrs sound about right?

Old 12-05-2021, 05:46 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I had a 19’ cuddy years ago I kept at a marina on a small lake. Yes; it was a “hole in the water.” But I loved having it. A weekend on the boat was like a vacation.

We are thinking about something similar in Florida, but are about six years out. Didn’t realize boats got so expensive. Wow. I think the boat club will have to be our way to go.

Good luck; keep us posted!

Old 12-07-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I had a 19’ cuddy years ago I kept at a marina on a small lake. Yes; it was a “hole in the water.” But I loved having it. A weekend on the boat was like a vacation.

We are thinking about something similar in Florida, but are about six years out. Didn’t realize boats got so expensive. Wow. I think the boat club will have to be our way to go.

Good luck; keep us posted!
The boat clubs' boats do not have heads, so I nixed that immediately after hearing that.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:11 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
[quote=beach43ofus;62439521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Boats can be a lot of fun, but they can also be a lot of trouble and and a lot of expense. Are you retired and looking for something to cruise/weekend on the ICW? Or just go out for the day mostly? You can't go wrong with Boston Whaler and Grady White, but a 30-footer will be a lot of dough.

I own a company that other's run, so I'm semi-retired. I oversee things ~1hr/day from anywhere that has internet & cell phone signal, & U.S. mail.

I have the income to cover boat costs, especially after my Son graduates college in 5 months. The cash I was spending on college, will shift to the boat.

I've heard the ICW gets old fast. A boat sales guy says 30'+ if I want to go out into the Gulf a lot,& do overnights. He also suggested dual outboards, versus inboard due to mtc costs/issues. More in fuel costs but less in mtc costs he said.

In Florida, I'd like to run from Honeymoon Island off Dunedin down to Marco Island, & maybe to the Keys and Bahamas after I get enough experience. I'll need a generator, & a/c in case I cant find transient dockage on trips.

He said anything longer than 36' is tough to dock at most waterside restaurants.

The Back Cove's are A+, but more than I want to spend. The 2 lightly used 34's on the boat sales web sites right now are ~$600k. I prefer to not exceed $400k.

$400k wont buy a 2022 model new boat that fits my needs, so I need to go to 1-2 yrs old to get down to my price point, like this:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/202...20-ob-7979029/

Or, a Pursuit 325 offshore 2019-2020 model like this one (only closer to home):

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/202...shore-7965748/

Everyone is different in their desires - for me, going out well away from shore just out in the middle of nothing, holds no allure, there's nothing to look at. I also don't like getting bounced around in big waves. Certain fishing is better offshore, but of course, there are plenty of inshore species too. Now cruising up and down the coast and exploring the coves and islands is more my speed.

In northern New England where I am it's less of an issue, but make sure you have good sun protection, ideally not just at the helm but extensible over the cockpit as well - some bigger boats these days have a powered awning that can just slide out over the cockpit or retract. There are also fixed awnings - which are great for cockpit lounging but will get in the way if you want to fish from the cockpit.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:09 PM

The top pic is a Sabre, likely $1M+ boat. That is more than my wife will agree to spend on a depreciating asset.

The Ranger Tug is ~$325k, & trawlers travel slower than I care to go, but I do like the look an the shady cockpit/cabin. I like the size of the tanks on trawlers a lot.

I did come close to buying a near new Cutwater (sister company of Ranger) 30' w/ dual Yamaha's 350' w/ top speed if 50 mph, but the 9' beam was inadequate, I felt. I wouldn't be trailering, so narrow beam made no sens to me. It was pretty, and had <100 hrs on it, so I almost bit. It was $250k & my wife said go for it, but I balked.

The only time I'd travel far away from land is when I was traversing the Atlantic heading for the Bahamas, or heading to Key West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles