Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 07:09 AM

26,164 posts, read 13,144,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I love a clean dark hull. BUUUUUUT I detail boats as well as run them so I really don't recommend one. They are hard to keep up. You should chamois every wash anyway but with a dark hull you MUST chamois it. Also, as stated it needs to be waxed several times a year. Preferably every 2 month's in that climate.

Granted, my personal boats are smaller. My first one was dark blue and it looks great still but my wife waxes it every oil change. That boat, a 2018, has 1400 hours so it was waxed quite regularily. My new boat is sea foam. Much lighter in color but still gets waxed every oil change. I put on almost 1000 hours since April this year so it gets plenty of wax.

IMO, Sea Foam looks good as well as a Sky Blue. I chose sea foam because it was popular in the past but not so much now so there aren't a bunch of them. Sky blue looks good but is popular still so there are a bunch.

Dark blue looks great but be warned on the maintenance as dark colors will fade.
Everything I've heard is consistent with your post. No dark Blue for me, no matter how much I like the look. I love this sky blue boat, but its $650k & about $250k out of my range:

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2022...36-xo-8156714/

I'd need to wait 3 years for these to depreciate down to ~$400k, and in this market, maybe longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 09:37 AM

14,984 posts, read 9,913,435 times
look around the great lakes this time of year for 'bargains'.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
look around the great lakes this time of year for 'bargains'.
I'll do that...thx!

I typically limit my search to the S.E. USA, but I'll broaden it.

Most fresh water boats have inboards, but not all.

There's a big movement in the 30'-38' size segment towards multiple outboards.

My Broker guy says to avoid inboards here in FLA...too much maintenance, & shortage of mechanics who want to work on them, & Volvo parts are very costly.

I'm off to search Boattrader, Yachtworld, & Boats.com in the great lakes region

Old 12-25-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'll do that...thx!

I typically limit my search to the S.E. USA, but I'll broaden it.

Most fresh water boats have inboards, but not all.

There's a big movement in the 30'-38' size segment towards multiple outboards.

My Broker guy says to avoid inboards here in FLA...too much maintenance, & shortage of mechanics who want to work on them, & Volvo parts are very costly.

I'm off to search Boattrader, Yachtworld, & Boats.com in the great lakes region
A bit older high quality boat with 'newer' engines is where the value is. Avoid the Yamaha 350's, they have flywheel issues. If WOT speed isn't a consideration, the Yamaha 300's are a good choice. 30-40 lbs per hp is a very general guide. The more dead rise the more HP to get on plane and the more beam, over 3:1... the more HP too.

Most repowers are Suzuki.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...8-30-feet.html

Old 12-26-2021, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
A bit older high quality boat with 'newer' engines is where the value is. Avoid the Yamaha 350's, they have flywheel issues. If WOT speed isn't a consideration, the Yamaha 300's are a good choice. 30-40 lbs per hp is a very general guide. The more dead rise the more HP to get on plane and the more beam, over 3:1... the more HP too.

Most repowers are Suzuki.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...8-30-feet.html
Nice to know about the Yamaha 350's because they are on most boats I'm considering. How about the 350 hp Mercury Verado's?

I'd like to ask a service manager at a large marina that services both these engines, which is best.

I'm willing to spend more to buy a 1-2 yr old boat still under a full extended 5-yr warrenty, so I could have 3-4 yrs of less stressful boat ownership.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM

Verrado's are performers and has some lower unit issues. However merc did the right thing and upgraded them during the warranty period... make sure that's done. A good surveyor will know that. Other than that... good rep. They are super charged and have a unique sound.

Make sure you get the service records and get the ECU print out.
https://boattest.com/
https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...ance-bulletins
https://performancedata.mercurymarin...formance-tests
Suzuki Marine

Old 12-26-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Nice to know about the Yamaha 350's because they are on most boats I'm considering. How about the 350 hp Mercury Verado's?

I'd like to ask a service manager at a large marina that services both these engines, which is best.

I'm willing to spend more to buy a 1-2 yr old boat still under a full extended 5-yr warrenty, so I could have 3-4 yrs of less stressful boat ownership.
Not all warranties are transferable. Some require the new owner to pay. Look for 10 year hull or lifetime hull. Scout had some hull issues (bulkhead separation) they tried to hide with gel coat. Not sure what years but I believe they've fixed their production issues.

All though I'm not a GW fan they make a very good hull. Old school stuff and super heavy... unnecessarily so, IMO. Quality build. Pursuit might be your best option. Their production facility is in Ft. Piece, nice place.

I'm an Everglades fan. Super top shelf fit and finish with tons of amenities.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...hing-boat.html

Old 01-11-2022, 08:00 AM

29,822 posts, read 14,871,126 times
Center consoles are all the rage at the moment. Coming from a performance boat, I just can't get into them. Although, I see why they are as popular as they are, especially in places like FL. There are so many great brands out there, Midnight Express, MTI, Cigarette, Nortech....do you research and take your pick. I think then Merc 450R is the best "cake mixer" out there, and I think the lower unit issues have been resolved, I guess it all depends on what one is using it for.

Here is a good article on some of the center consoles out there.
https://www.yachtworld.com/research/...-in-the-world/

Totally off subject, but a beautiful outboard powered boat.

https://www.nor-techboats.com/nor-tech-360-mc-flyer/

Old 01-11-2022, 08:47 AM

I realize the center consoles dominate the FLA market now, but that's mostly due to fishing, & I'm not sure if I'll get into fishing, or not. I've not done it much at all, so I don't know what I don't know.

That is why I want a "crossover" that can fish, entertain, cruise overnight, or just be used as a day boat. I love the flexibility.

I also want to be able to avoid UV rays as much as possible since I'm a year rounder in FLA, & we are fair skinned.

I also like the idea is having AC at the helm, & in the cabin so we can use it more comfortably in the Summertime.

I'm going to the St. Pete Boat Show Thursday, but slip availability is still a massive obstacle here. I'm hoping by mid-Summer, it will ease up.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:38 AM

Went to the Stuart Boat show yesterday. Chamber of Commerce day. More and more 'bling' on boats.

Have you decided on what style of boat you're gonna get? If fishing is still a consideration, but center consoles aren't for you... then it's pilot house, cuddy or express. The Pilot house would be the best for fishing. I don't like many cuddy's.

Once you get into express boats... andthing less than 32' is really a waste of boat, feels jammed in. 35' and up and closer to 38' would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles