Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 03:33 PM

782 posts, read 509,558 times

Advertisements

We're in TX now, and I'm riding my Honda CB1100 around. TX is a no-splitting state, but I don't know why. Most of the roads and streets around Ft. Worth area are plenty wide enough for filtering and I have to stop myself from doing it. Another thing; I hate riding/driving after dark around here. There are almost no streetlights, and when there are some, they're too weak and too far apart to be of much good.
One thing I do like are the turnarounds on highways/freeways, and you can stay on the access road and go for miles without having to actually get on the freeway. Some of the interchanges around here are really gnarly. But, the local roads are great. I live near Eagle Mtn. Lake and down in the valley the roads are tree-lined and fun to ride. Gotta watch out for deer, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 09:14 PM

8,331 posts, read 13,470,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
People even part ways like the red sea. I even feel they look at me weird when I DONT split and choose to stay behind cars at a light. (30 second difference and not in a rush)
I have heard from quite a few people who stated having a mc behind/besides them, made them very nervous.

It is legal in the rest of the world. This is really weird because it was made illegal from the start in almost all of the States in a country like US!

Lane sharing-splitting is actually becoming legal in more states and some are in the process (introduced related bills). So, clearly, that is the smarter and more rational option.

What made it very difficult was probably the minority of the riders in CA that were doing it highly inappropriately which made it look very unsafe (and the way they were doing it was/is unsafe).

To my best knowledge, there are two accepted lane sharing methods; CA style and UT style. Even though UT method seems a bit restricted, in all fairness, it is really most any sane rider really needs. In its core, they cap the max speed to 45 MPH. So, if the traffic is moving faster than 50 MPH, you legally should not be lane sharing and tbh, that is acceptable.

I lane share a lot because:
a) It is legal in CA
b) My current bike is air/oil cooled
c) I live in an area where slow idiots in different lane drive next to one another forming a wall

Ultimately, when I relocate in the near future, I'd be more than OK if my target State adopted UT style lane sharing laws.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:02 AM

11,845 posts, read 8,045,546 times
As a car driver I honestly hate lane splitting. Too much to watch out for and if a cyclist takes out my mirror while doing it he can easily keep going and I pretty much am left on the tab for the insurance claim.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
As a car driver I honestly hate lane splitting. Too much to watch out for
That is exactly why lane-sharing is a must because car drivers get overwhelmed with what little they really have to process so the burden and saving their behind become the responsibility of the motorcyclist.
they have done quite a few studies on why car drivers do not see even when they look directly towards the oncoming motorcyclist and come to the conclusion that even though they sort of see motorcycles, their brain do not really register the motorcycle as a threat so they, in a way, ignore its existence at a subconscious level. And then, there are a boat load of drivers that don't even bother to look or too distracted, etc.

Lane-sharing is a means to avoid trouble whether it is imminent collision or a distracted driver.
Simply put, lane-sharing is for motorcyclist and their safety not just convenience. Studies have proven it to decrease related accidents and fatality so what car drivers think about it is really not something riders give a rat's about (with all due respect).

Quote:
and if a cyclist takes out my mirror while doing it he can easily keep going and I pretty much am left on the tab for the insurance claim.
Motorcyclists do not break mirrors by accident, they almost always do it on purpose. I don't condone this behavior even though there are a bunch of a-hole drivers who deserve it.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:23 AM

175 posts, read 68,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
America has this "Me first" attitude where if anyone "cuts the line" it creates a road rage situation.

Yet the majority of the world allows filtering or splitting.

California/Utah have it legalized and they're fine.

Arguments I hear are against:
-that it's dangerous and mirrors will be broken or car sides swiped.(Can happen with cars too)
-That car drivers don't want to worry about what is essentially an extra lane and having to look over all the time.(You're supposed to check your mirrors anyway)
-That the sudden noise is scary or it feels too close( If you ride a bike you know there's plenty of space. Try it before you hate it)
-From bikes themselves I hear " I would never do it" Yet technically they don't have to. It would be an option like wearing a helmet in a no helmet state.

Arguments for it are:
-Creates less traffic. That's one less spot in a traffic jam being clogged up. So imagine 6 bikes being able to pass through. That's 6 spots that were once cars in a traffic jam, alleviated. Extrapolate that to a couple hundred and it makes a difference
-In the age of smart phones. People are on their phones all the time during crawling commutes. Fender benders aren't a big deal in a car, but they can hurt you on a bike. Splitting lanes would prevent that.
-Time saving for the biker. Promotes biking. Bikes consume less gas. Less carbon footprint, etc etc.
The biggest problem with allowing lane splitting in states that don't already have it will be training the motorists not to run over the bikers. People driving cars won't be accustomed to bikes splitting lanes and won't be looking for it.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesian123 View Post
The biggest problem with allowing lane splitting in states that don't already have it will be training the motorists not to run over the bikers. People driving cars won't be accustomed to bikes splitting lanes and won't be looking for it.
Based on the various related data, the authorities can tell where such training is needed.
There are many ways to enforce the training indirectly with signs and messages on the road, TV, DL training book, etc.

Even in California, I still see a lot of people not making way when they should and these are Californians not some transplant from another state!

Most of the argument I hear is about someone not willing to share because of some "inconvenience" to them because they would be paying more attention to their surroundings (which they should be doing already) or their insincere, half-baked concern for the safety of the other rider. Well, motorcyclists are not going anywhere and if lane-sharing has been proven to be safer and improve the flow of the traffic, such an little "inconvenience" to the drivers to be more attentive, would be beneficial to everyone.

Nobody was trained or ready for texting while driving, heck it is even against the law but look how many people learned it so quickly and doing it so well every single day!

An ongoing reinforcement is a good thing. Freeway overpasses where they have those digital traffic signs that shows road emergency related info can also display a simple message like "Share the Road", "Watch for Motorcyclists", "Stop hogging the left lane and move your slow behind to the right lane".

I have never seen the last one but definitely needed as well!

Many people think that "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign commonly seen on highways does not apply anywhere else, failing to realize, essentially all roads are highways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles