Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 08:54 PM

253 posts, read 202,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Isn't splitting lanes in California only legal below certain speeds? And they aren't very high. I think as low as 25mph on the freeways. Anyway, I live in Virginia and am baffled they don't allow splitting lanes out here. You think L.A. traffic is bad? Come visit the D.C. area. And despite having some of the worst traffic in the country Virginia doesn't allow splitting lanes.

Worth noting: I don't even own a motorcycle and think below certain speeds those on bikes should be able to split lanes. Of course you always will have guys who are going 50 while everyone else is sitting still. You shouldn't make make or not make a law on the outliers though. Most guys/gals on a bike just want to get to where they're going safely like anyone else.

Also, in states where splitting lanes is legal, I'd favor traffic fines for drivers who impede motorcycle traffic. I've never understood the mindset of someone who feels that, since they have to wait in traffic, others using a more compact mode of transportation should have to as well. But the proclivity to do that is probably a product of a larger issue when behind the wheel (I'd be willing to bet there's a high correlation between people who impede splitting lanes and people who engage in other, more risky forms of road rage). You start fining these people and eventually suspending licenses and maybe you can make positive changes to overall driving habits.

I know. I know. I'm living in a fantasy land.
I mean. I don't really care what the speed limit rules would be as long as it's legal.

In Chicago, I had a car block me as I was splitting. I forced myself in, kicked his car and he started chasing and yelling at me. I don't even know how he caught up to me in gridlock traffic.
Anywho, I continued to split away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 06:24 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,036,290 times
I've lane split in the past while living in SF Bay Area. It should be legal in all states. It would reduce congestion and increase the feasibility of Motorcycling and Scootering as a commute vehicle. If more people ride motorcycles/scooters maybe we can get more motorcycle models in the US. Maybe we could get dedicated parking areas around the city and in garages.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:03 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,165,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I've lane split in the past while living in SF Bay Area. It should be legal in all states. It would reduce congestion and increase the feasibility of Motorcycling and Scootering as a commute vehicle. If more people ride motorcycles/scooters maybe we can get more motorcycle models in the US. Maybe we could get dedicated parking areas around the city and in garages.
Probably, and probably. I too split for 7 years living in Bay Area, I'm here to tell the tale. Only got a good talking-to once, from a SF Cop when I rode on the sidewalk(!) to get out of a total gridlock leaving the City one Friday afternoon. I did this mostly on a Gixxer 750, back in my racing and occasional street riding days. That sucker had brakes that were marvelous for the day. I covered them well with my fingers when splitting. Never went too fast between cars, there is a pace that seems to be "sufficient." Couple times I braked hard on those fronts, but as someone who raced and did many track days I was not afraid to bang those front brake hard as needed.

Here in WA, it's not done too often, and AFAIK not legally. It comes up for legislative review almost yearly last I checked which was a decade ago. I bend the rules constantly and ride that line literally on the freeways and streets. I'll be pulled over sooner or later doing that; I think of it as biker tax and they're less lenient to shenanigans here in WA vs. CA, last I checked. Yes, it would be nice. Yes, we have a road rager problem in this country due to what someone upthread called the "me first" culture. I'd call it the "can do spirit of Capitalism: let the best (wo)man win" spirit, personally. As an irritable cuss and through-and-through Capitalist, I do it too but naturally don't hassle bikers.

We used to have legendary traffic jams in Seattle. I don't commute anymore where possible plus the Plague changed things quite a bit. But there are times, on those warm summer days, that sitting on a bike in traffic on some freeway is a nightmare. On those days, I may (cough) bend the law a bit just to get OUT of all that.

Bikes are never as prevalent here in the US vs. Europe or Asia. I question if that will change. The London riders I've met are fairly hard-core due to high costs, taxation, and policing. They are aggressive in rush hour traffic to say the least. Go to India, there are small bikes all over the place and they will apparently comfortably seat three. With no helmets. Interesting sight to an American...been-there, done-that, didn't ride in it though (only observed, from a car driven by locals).

Old 04-10-2021, 09:53 AM

10,357 posts, read 6,913,490 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLAAIZ4MFoY

Old 04-14-2021, 11:11 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,567,066 times
I wonder why they were even pulled over.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:26 PM

785 posts, read 514,160 times
That was an experienced rider, pulling over then stop. I've been riding in CA for 40 yrs, and lane-splitting when it was prudent and safe. I've had some drivers, mostly in Prius, edge over to try and block me, but I get around them. I've also had cars move over to let me by. I always give a wave or a nod as thanks. Once, riding home on 605 freeway in heavy but moving traffic, I was not splitting, and a CHP went by, splitting like a greased cobra. I thought, hey, if he can do it, so can I, so I started following him. He must have seen me 'cause he moved over a lane, and I followed. This went on for a few miles, then he slowed way down, and I decided to go around him, and he gave me a quizzical look, probably wondering what my intentions were. My intentions were to get home.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:25 PM

10,357 posts, read 6,913,490 times
When lane splitting, has anyone noticed that cages yield once they see/experience the 1st bike to go thru? It's like the parting of the Red Sea! I always acknowledge the drivers that yield, too.

For a short time (until it was challenged in court) the parameters for lane splitting were~

Speeds of <50mph.

Speed delta of >5mph. (but NOT >15mph!) Any cop would have a problem with that.

Extra care during rain

Extra care w/passenger

Not advised at night.

Since were talking about lane splitting...

For those that do it, have you noticed your increased braking distance when riding over wet BOTTS dots? Also, those dots can be slippery, especially with worn OR brand new front tires...

Let's see who's the first to quote this...

Old 04-27-2021, 12:29 PM

785 posts, read 514,160 times
I hate those dots! They make the bike shimmy and wobble and they'll knock the fillings in your teeth loose.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times
it seems super dangerous to me when i see motorcycles drive between cars in moving traffic. but i have no business telling them not to do it so that means it shouldnt be illegal. the government doesnt have a right to tell people not to do things if i dont have that right as well.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:09 AM

253 posts, read 202,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it seems super dangerous to me when i see motorcycles drive between cars in moving traffic. but i have no business telling them not to do it so that means it shouldnt be illegal. the government doesnt have a right to tell people not to do things if i dont have that right as well.
If you actually try it, you'll see there's plenty of space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles