Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
Grass clippings and other material on the highway can be very dangerous to motorcycles. You hit a bit of grass or dirt in a turn and you'll be off the bike before you know what happened. Ask me how I might know )
People are just now realizing this though? LOL

This is literally the first year i have seen anyone even mention grass clippings in the road being dangerous to motorcycles... its 2018... motorcycles have been around for a long time now...?

I have heard people talk about in relation to clogging up sewers and grates in past years, but this doesnt apply to every street, in every area, on my street, even if everyones grass clippings went thru the storm drains, it wouldnt cause any backup, because it lets out in a lower culvert, large ditch area, so lots of grass clippings wouldnt make a difference either way.

Ultimately it really depends on where you live and how your storm drains are set up, where they go, etc. Everyones situation is going to be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Only been riding for 50+ yrs... never heard / noticed / cared about grass clippings on the road (putting them there or encountering them).

I better check my liability coverage and umbrellas... sounds like the 'entitlement generation' has graduated to 'protective riding'

Wow, so many hazards,

So little enjoyment / skill / responsibility / tolerance.

Trivial

And I was a bit alarmed when they made 'loss of Cargo' a felony!. I now need a 'follower' for all farm transports for that one item that may drop off in transit, bale / moldboard / springtooth / mud / rock / wrench... It used to be that someone would encounter and fetch it and bring it back to you, now... Off to court, "what can I get outta this guy?"

Old 05-31-2018, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
I never even though of this. i will sweep grass out of our road because of this post, but it annoys me to no end because i do not like motorcycles roaring by our house anyway. They are too loud and usually go too fast. We live in a very peaceful area and they like to drive down our street to enjoy the drive along the riverfront, but they have no business being there and although they have the "right" to disturb the peace of our community, we have the right to be extremely annoyed with them and feel they have no business driving through here.

Still I do not want them dead, I will sweep up the $#)&$#_ grass.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:43 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
People are just now realizing this though? LOL

This is literally the first year i have seen anyone even mention grass clippings in the road being dangerous to motorcycles... its 2018... motorcycles have been around for a long time now...?

I have heard people talk about in relation to clogging up sewers and grates in past years, but this doesnt apply to every street, in every area, on my street, even if everyones grass clippings went thru the storm drains, it wouldnt cause any backup, because it lets out in a lower culvert, large ditch area, so lots of grass clippings wouldnt make a difference either way.

Ultimately it really depends on where you live and how your storm drains are set up, where they go, etc. Everyones situation is going to be different.

But deliberately trying to crash a rider as some have expressed the desire to do will ALWAYS be wrong.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I never even though of this. i will sweep grass out of our road because of this post, but it annoys me to no end because i do not like motorcycles roaring by our house anyway. They are too loud and usually go too fast. We live in a very peaceful area and they like to drive down our street to enjoy the drive along the riverfront, but they have no business being there and although they have the "right" to disturb the peace of our community, we have the right to be extremely annoyed with them and feel they have no business driving through here.

Still I do not want them dead, I will sweep up the $#)&$#_ grass.
I agree about the noise but it's not the bikes, it's what those with no consideration for others have done to them or who foolishly believe that noise is a substitute for good riding skills in staying upright. But, if you're talking about public roads, they have every right to be there.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 AM

5,464 posts, read 6,082,746 times
Grass, depending upon the amount could be a major danger to riders, especially in corners. BUT, a major culprit to riders always goes unnoticed and unresolved. It is sprinkler systems that flood roadways. I really don't see why there isn't an ordinance in every town, city, or county to mandate adjustment so as not to throw water on the public right of way.
I haven't ridden motorcycles in 20 years, but I have been riding bicycles for 45 years and also drive black cars. Water from irrigation wells is a major PITA when it floods the roadway or even sidewalk.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,187,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Grass, depending upon the amount could be a major danger to riders, especially in corners. BUT, a major culprit to riders always goes unnoticed and unresolved. It is sprinkler systems that flood roadways. I really don't see why there isn't an ordinance in every town, city, or county to mandate adjustment so as not to throw water on the public right of way.
I haven't ridden motorcycles in 20 years, but I have been riding bicycles for 45 years and also drive black cars. Water from irrigation wells is a major PITA when it floods the roadway or even sidewalk.

In many of the Northern tier states cinders account many accidents in the Spring. The first warm days all motorcycle riders want to get their bikes out of the garage. It takes the townships and states time to clean off the old cinders from hard winters. Last year I lost a coworker to cinders on one of those early warm Spring days.

While this thread is about grass clippings; leaves are a greater danger. Especially wet leaves. The riders will encounter considerably more leaves than they will ever encounter the grass clippings.

I am not trying to minimize the danger of the clippings. It is just, when driving motorcycles, one has to be aware of your surroundings. Asphalt acts like very course sandpaper to skin. If you see clippings, leaves, cinders or water; it is in your best interest to slow down and be careful. The same goes for deer crossing the road in front of you; slow down and look for the deer that might be following the one that just crossed. Don't wait for special regulations to save you. They will be too little and too late.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:59 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,775,681 times
Anybody who dresses up like a pirate and rides around on a loud suicide-machine clearly values image over safety.

Choices have consequences.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But deliberately trying to crash a rider as some have expressed the desire to do will ALWAYS be wrong.
I doubt anyone intentionally does this so someone crashes.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Anybody who dresses up like a pirate and rides around on a loud suicide-machine clearly values image over safety.

Choices have consequences.
Around here, this really got started around the time 'Orange County Choppers' became popular, suddenly there were Paulie Jr look a likes all over the place.

I agree about the image thing as well, thats the whole point of having a super loud motorcycle, it draws attention, it has nothing to do with the performance of the bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles