Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 12:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,456,439 times

Advertisements

I just started riding a few years ago. My first bike was a 150cc scooter and I've since moved on to motorcycles and haven't looked back. Anyway, I fully understand the appeal of a smaller scooter as a learning tool, as an easy way to get around town, manuevering short distances in urban environments and as a grocery getter. However, when it comes to the larger maxi scoots, considering the relatively high cost for the amount of performance you get, I guess I just don't get the appeal. Someone help explain this to me? I ride a BMW F650CS now which would be the equivalent of Suzuki Burgman 650 maybe.

Why would I ever want to ride a lame Burgman when I could ride a 650cc motorcycle with much better performance, fun and style? What, my bike is ugly you say? Well just sub that for an F700GS or something of that nature. Now that I've ridden both motorcycles and scooters I just think motorcycles are so much superior that it renders scooters obsolete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:52 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,127,604 times
It all depends on your style of riding. I've always been a motorcycle guy but can really understand the maxis after riding one. Very comfortable, twist and go, no gears to concern yourself, waaay more comfortable than any cruiser I've ever been on, and just a nice, relaxed way to ride, if that's how you want to ride. No, they won't shred the twisties but that's not what they're for, lots of folks don't want to shred the twisties either, they just enjoy a nice, pleasant ride through some sickeningly bucolic scenery.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:21 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,864,033 times
Constantly changing gears and using a foot brake is not "fun" to me, I thought it would be, but it just isn't. I use my maxi-scoot nearly everyday, I haven't rode my Ninja in several months.

Now I would like to have a NC700x DCT, best of both worlds IMO.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:20 AM

Ahhh yes, shifting. So there is where I guess I can understand that varying opinions could exist between riding a manual or automatic. I personally feel that shifting is all part of riding experience and becoming one with the bike. I guess I feel the same about cars too. If given a choice I'd rather drive a stick.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,685,017 times
I ride and appreciate both. Nothing "Lame" about a Burgman. I had one and it was a great and fun machine. For comparison, "better"(?) than my Sportster in every way from a utilitarian point of view, but it wasnt a Sportster. Comparing a maxi-scoot to motorcycle is disingenuous. You either 'get it', like them or do not. One is not "better" than the other. They are two very different tools. Both have plusses, some minus's. I have a BMW RS, but I still use my PCX 125 around town because it is the better tool.
I also think motorcycle appreciation is very testosterone based, for want of a better term. People are conditioned to think that scooters are sissy machines or something like that. If people would approach them with an open mind, ride them for a while and not worry what the GSXR600 kiddies think about them, a lot more people would "get it"(?)

Old 11-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
People are conditioned to think that scooters are sissy machines or something like that. If people would approach them with an open mind, ride them for a while and not worry what the GSXR600 kiddies think about them, a lot more people would "get it"(?)
Especially if they could ride something like a Yamaha TMAX. It's really mostly Americans that have that attitude towards scooters, they're perfectly normal in the rest of the world.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:53 PM

For me a scooter makes sense for filtering through traffic in a bustling megalopolis like Mexico City or Mumbai or something. For the type of riding I do in a midsized city in the midwest US they just don't seem very practical. When I had my 150cc scooter it was fine for riding on side streets in the city and for taking my road test. However not being able to take it on the freeway made it so limiting. Even on smaller highways I'd be wide open throttle at 55mph and cars would be flying past me to the point where I didn't feel safe. The only way for me to thrive in any given scenario here (city streets, county roads and freeways) is to roll on a motorcycle.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
For me a scooter makes sense for filtering through traffic in a bustling megalopolis like Mexico City or Mumbai or something. For the type of riding I do in a midsized city in the midwest US they just don't seem very practical. When I had my 150cc scooter it was fine for riding on side streets in the city and for taking my road test. However not being able to take it on the freeway made it so limiting. Even on smaller highways I'd be wide open throttle at 55mph and cars would be flying past me to the point where I didn't feel safe. The only way for me to thrive in any given scenario here (city streets, county roads and freeways) is to roll on a motorcycle.
You can't compare a 150cc to something much larger, like the 530cc TMAX I mentioned.

2015 Yamaha TMAX Review

Old 11-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Yes but be honest. From a performance standpoint I can't imagine that would be anywhere near a 500-650cc motorcycle. In terms of acceleration, top speed, turning, braking, etc. I imagine it can keep up on freeways but on a motorcycle I own freeways.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,050,543 times
Storage, better weather protection, better gas mileage, lower insurance cost, cheaper entry cost because people in the US don't appreciate the utlitarian aspects of scootering. No image. I've been riding Maxi Scooters for ten years now. Love it in commuter traffic. If people aren't happy with the speed and acceleration of a Hayabusa what difference does it make in commuter traffic. I see more scooters on the ride in inclement weather. Besides by the time that you add your windshield, saddlebags, center stand...etc the cost are about equal to a motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles