Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:53 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,035,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I'm guessing the 'Downtown 300i' took the place of the Xciting 250, since the Xciting is now only available in a 500cc.

I had to google Genuine Blur since I had never heard of them. I'm not crazy about the styling of those, they look a little, dare I say... girly , reminds me of the Kymco People GT.
Girly or not, the 300-500cc scooter is the fastest growing category of scooter market segment. Anything over 250cc is considered a maxi scooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 09:04 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Girly or not, the 300-500cc scooter is the fastest growing category of scooter market segment. Anything over 250cc is considered a maxi scooter.
As to be expected, Europe gets all the good stuff. What we get is OK, but very limited. The EU/Asia get so much more stuff. Hopefully we will start to get more of what they offer elsewhere. I can see a time where I just wont be able to--or want to-- handle a big bike anymore. Im already a big fan/rider of scooters, but at that point, it will be the thing that extends my riding into very old age

Old 12-19-2015, 09:08 AM

I see T-Max's here, in fabulous, like-new shape going for 3,500 or so. Seriously, a fantastic deal on an under-rated hotrod.
A Morphous is on my bike bucket list too. The shed is just too small . . .

Old 12-19-2015, 09:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,693,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I wasn't referring to the size of the engine, I was talking about the styling. I don't like the ones with the low floor and the headlight attached to the handlebars. The Honda PCX is a small scooter but it's still stylish.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Attached Thumbnails
What is the appeal of Maxi Scooters?-rollin.jpg  

Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,693,775 times
LOL, that's exactly the kind I don't like. Reminds me of a mobility scooter for the elderly.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,256,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
What I'm trying accomplish is to gain an understanding of why a market exists for maxi scooters. I'm also perfectly content with those too oversensitive to tolerate words like "lame" to sit out of the discussion.
part of it is cultural. In Europe, there's lots of scooter riders probably due to either registration requirements or the cost of insurance. We had a European guy come and work for us for a short time and he purchased some kind of piaggio scooter than had 2 front wheels and looked super high tech. I remember looking at the pricing of that particular model and thought to myself that he could have bought any motorcycle he wanted.

Medical reasons could put you into a scooter without completely removing you from the joys of riding.

Finally personal preference. If I wanted more speed but had a need for a step through with under seat storage there would be little else to consider.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,869 times
After getting my moto license, my first scooter was a 500cc Aprilia Scarabeo. I did not feel ready for a regular motorcycle so this was my first step. Drove it a few years, dropped it here and there they moved on to a Moto Guzzi motorcycle. I thought I'd never look back.

Wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love my Guzzi - its looks, its heritage, its driving experience. But I wish I had kept my scooter:
a. Grocery shopping (non-major). No storage on the Guzzi
b. Traffic - no shifting
c. It's classic Italian design, remote seat unlock (lots of storage), glove box with port for charging GPS.

What I don't miss about the Aprilia
a. Its size.. my Guzzi is lighter
b. It was not a manueverable as my Guzzi

I'd be happy to have another maxi scooter to add to the fleet at some point (e.g,. Vespa GTV or C650)

Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
After getting my moto license, my first scooter was a 500cc Aprilia Scarabeo. I did not feel ready for a regular motorcycle so this was my first step. Drove it a few years, dropped it here and there they moved on to a Moto Guzzi motorcycle. I thought I'd never look back.

Wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love my Guzzi - its looks, its heritage, its driving experience. But I wish I had kept my scooter:
a. Grocery shopping (non-major). No storage on the Guzzi
b. Traffic - no shifting
c. It's classic Italian design, remote seat unlock (lots of storage), glove box with port for charging GPS.

What I don't miss about the Aprilia
a. Its size.. my Guzzi is lighter
b. It was not a manueverable as my Guzzi

I'd be happy to have another maxi scooter to add to the fleet at some point (e.g,. Vespa GTV or C650)
I think MC people would be totally surprised at a Vespa 300 GT. Their conception of a scooter is the clip from Dumb and Dumber. No idea what semi-hiperf motor in light, small wheeled frame can feel like

Old 12-23-2015, 01:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Prefer something with a 103 cubic inch motor. I don't think that they make skooters with that size motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles