Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM

75 posts, read 353,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Thanks for the tips. We want a 30 yr fixed interest rate loan, we'll be putting 20% down, prefer to not pay points. You were right; my credit union's rates are pretty close to what Freddie Mac has posted (0.5% higher). I think when the time comes (we're shooting for October) I'll compare options between a broker and my credit union.
It's crazy when I see what some places are charging. So, when you check w/ places - make sure they tell you all their little fees up front. You don't want to find a house and get a huge suprise the day before closing. Ask your friends or your realtor for a Lender referral. Somebody surely has had good luck w/ someone before. A co. that does things "in house" also helps speed things along and sometimes keeps the costs down. However those are few. And - w/ you putting 20% down - you should be a lender's dream client right now....as long as credit it good too. October will be here before you know it! Good luck w/ everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,158,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondamarchant View Post
It's crazy when I see what some places are charging. So, when you check w/ places - make sure they tell you all their little fees up front. You don't want to find a house and get a huge suprise the day before closing. Ask your friends or your realtor for a Lender referral. Somebody surely has had good luck w/ someone before. A co. that does things "in house" also helps speed things along and sometimes keeps the costs down. However those are few. And - w/ you putting 20% down - you should be a lender's dream client right now....as long as credit it good too. October will be here before you know it! Good luck w/ everything!
Not as crazy as that top line on the HUD that shows the agent commission!! $21,000 fee!????? (6% on a sale of $350k) PLUS an admin fee...ouch

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,600,992 times
lol that's true!

also the lender gets paid on the loan amount soooo 20% down is going to lower the commission. Realtors get paid on the whole purchase price.

The only realtors i deal with are the ones who UNDERSTAND THIS.

They know they get paid more....and they know that if we dont fund the loan they dont get paid!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,114,474 times
Thanks for the advice on points, which is a little confusing to me. We aren't planning on refinancing in the future and we plan to stay in our home for ideally at least 8-10 years if not longer. I'd like to pay points, get a lower rate, and have a lower monthly payment, but realistically I am not sure if we'll be able to pay for points after putting 20% down + closing costs + needing to have some money set aside for emergencies and whatnot. But houses in my area appear to not be selling quickly, so it's possible we may get a good deal and have more money on hand to pay points.
I really appreciate all the help and advice!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM

510 posts, read 3,203,299 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on points, which is a little confusing to me. We aren't planning on refinancing in the future and we plan to stay in our home for ideally at least 8-10 years if not longer. I'd like to pay points, get a lower rate, and have a lower monthly payment, but realistically I am not sure if we'll be able to pay for points after putting 20% down + closing costs + needing to have some money set aside for emergencies and whatnot. But houses in my area appear to not be selling quickly, so it's possible we may get a good deal and have more money on hand to pay points.
I really appreciate all the help and advice!
You may have another option available to you regarding your overall down payment and how to cover the cost of points. Let's say you're buying a house for $90,000 but it actually appraises for $100,000. This is common in this market, and opens up an opportunity for you. This will make sense to any selling agent, and with some explanation the seller should get it. The seller is expecting to get $90,000... let's say you raise the sales price to $95,000 instead of $90,000. At this point the seller can do a "sellers concession" to you for $5,000. This means the seller still gets that $90,000, but it allows you to finance an additional $5,000. You would use this money towards closing costs, in essence giving you more buying power to buy your rate lower. This is a simplistic example, and keep in mind when bumping a price with your scenario you can only get 80% of the sales price as you do your loan... so it will have a small increase on your down payment, but you will gain money overall to be used for costs. Also, be careful not to inflate the sales price too high, as a lender will not allow you to get cash in pocket at close. The only time this comes into play is when you're buying $350K+ with a big concession.

The negatives towards doing this are minimal. The first is you bump your property tax implication by a very minor amount by kicking up the sales price. The other negative is that you are financing your closing costs (the amount of the concession), so you will end up paying double-triple that amount in interest over the long run. However, if you use this to buy down your rate, your overall savings will far outweigh the small extra amount financed.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
You may have another option available to you regarding your overall down payment and how to cover the cost of points. Let's say you're buying a house for $90,000 but it actually appraises for $100,000. This is common in this market, and opens up an opportunity for you. This will make sense to any selling agent, and with some explanation the seller should get it. The seller is expecting to get $90,000... let's say you raise the sales price to $95,000 instead of $90,000. At this point the seller can do a "sellers concession" to you for $5,000. This means the seller still gets that $90,000, but it allows you to finance an additional $5,000. You would use this money towards closing costs, in essence giving you more buying power to buy your rate lower. This is a simplistic example, and keep in mind when bumping a price with your scenario you can only get 80% of the sales price as you do your loan... so it will have a small increase on your down payment, but you will gain money overall to be used for costs. Also, be careful not to inflate the sales price too high, as a lender will not allow you to get cash in pocket at close. The only time this comes into play is when you're buying $350K+ with a big concession.

The negatives towards doing this are minimal. The first is you bump your property tax implication by a very minor amount by kicking up the sales price. The other negative is that you are financing your closing costs (the amount of the concession), so you will end up paying double-triple that amount in interest over the long run. However, if you use this to buy down your rate, your overall savings will far outweigh the small extra amount financed.
Also add in the fact that any points you pay are 100% tax deductible in the year you incur the fee. As a bonus...YOU GET THIS DEDUCTION EVEN IF THE SELLER PAYS YOUR POINTS!

I agree with Jeff (again ). If 20% down plus costs is going to deplete your cash too much to buy the rate down by paying points...Have the seller pay 1% or 2% toward your closing costs. The seller will do this because this amount will just be built in the sales price.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,114,474 times
Thanks again; I see a lot of listings in my area where sellers are offering $$ towards closing costs so I think it would go over well.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks again; I see a lot of listings in my area where sellers are offering $$ towards closing costs so I think it would go over well.
FYI-Even if they are not offering it in their ads, does not mean they would not be willing to do so as you really end up paying for it in the price.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM

261 posts, read 1,668,224 times
Just a note about the benefit of using a credit union is that they often service the loan themselves. My loans with credit unions have never been sold off to other companies but the one home loan I got through a commerical bank was sold 3 times in the 3 years I had the loan, which was a pain during the transitions.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,600,992 times
credit unions generally use mortgage companies. they dont fund the loans themselves, and this is why most of them get sold off.

it doesnt matter who you get the mortgage with....it can be sold at any point or time. You will see this disclosure at closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Just a note about the benefit of using a credit union is that they often service the loan themselves. My loans with credit unions have never been sold off to other companies but the one home loan I got through a commerical bank was sold 3 times in the 3 years I had the loan, which was a pain during the transitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages