Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM

106 posts, read 358,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
There are as many americans who do tends to have a distaste for french or french canadians as they are french or french canadians with a distaste for americans.

I use to say i didnt like NYC anymore and especially not Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Houston, Washington or Fort-Lauderdale. For them, it was anti-american....but they never said i was a pro-american when i would tell them i loved Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco and New Orleans.

I hated the fast food, the corporate me myself and I minding as well as the all about cars therefor i was anti-american but never heard them say i was pro american when i said i admired the creativity, the energy, the decentralised goverment and the beautiful country roads one can drive in.

People used to hate Bush therefor anti-americans but they loved Clinton and Obama but that doesnt seem to be enough.

I could go on and on like that. But for a reason, most americans seems to be paranoid about that. And i think i kow part of the answer. I have often read articles in the press about french people disliking american policy but i never read anything when french are praising american way of life, or culture or intensity...

Do you know that nearly 50% of movies shown in France are americans, nearly 40% of the music sold in stores or played on radio is american, 35% of TV shows seen on TV are americans, many american fast food, clothing stores or coffee chains are americans. Most people in Montreal are bilingual and a very good proportion of french as well, that many american medias, electronic or paper, are available in Montreal, Paris or Geneve while it's impossible to find a Quebec media in NYC or very very hard to find a french one (from France) anhywhere in the US (except near the embassy or consulate).......i know...i tried and i had to get out of my way to find a copy of ''Le monde'' which usually is 3 days old.......for $4.50.....somewhere on Madison avenue where many french people are living.

Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Britney Spears, the Harlem Globe Trotters, Disney on ice, Michael Moore, Woody Allen, many rappers, younger alternative rock bands, etc etc etc are all going to be in Montreal for a huge concert or simply promoting their next gig, this year...or have been lately. While name me a big Quebecois artist playing in NYC this year ? One who doesnt sing in english ?

I think you dont understand what distaste is all about......

There is a certain lifestyle type that we dont like and there are some policies which we dont agree with....but that doesnt mean it's a distaste.

And if you think they will rarely say anything in front of an american, then how come you know ?
Prime example why other countries have distaste for Americans is Fox News.

Canada lost over 100 soldiers in Afghanistan and last week Fox news decided to mock the CDN military. Their timing was particularly "distasteful" since Canada has just lost four young soldiers last week.
Here's a clip of the whole event Digg - Fox News Suggests Invasion of Canada, Tons of Insults [VID]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM

793 posts, read 1,456,233 times
Are you honestly justifying bashing an entire country because of some show on FOX NEWS that comes on at 3:00am on a weekday, is hosted by a complete moron that barely takes himself seriously and shares the lowest ratings of any other program on that abomination of a network? Seriously, give me a break.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Are you honestly justifying bashing an entire country because of some show on FOX NEWS that comes on at 3:00am on a weekday, is hosted by a complete moron that barely takes himself seriously and shares the lowest ratings of any other program on that abomination of a network? Seriously, give me a break.
Woah, "bashing the US".. no, not at all. I was just backing up my statement saying that many other countries don't look upon Americans in a favorable way. I see this first hand when traveling.. Americans are mocked more than any other country... and I don't think it's purely based on jealousy.

Regardless, this thread about Montreal vs New York has completely went off topic. Perhaps someone can start a new thread if they really want to dive into " other countries who have a distaste for the US"

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM

110 posts, read 621,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
Prime example why other countries have distaste for Americans is Fox News.

Canada lost over 100 soldiers in Afghanistan and last week Fox news decided to mock the CDN military. Their timing was particularly "distasteful" since Canada has just lost four young soldiers last week.
Here's a clip of the whole event Digg - Fox News Suggests Invasion of Canada, Tons of Insults [VID]
Entirely right. The story is quite big in Canada but most people are aware that Fox news is Fox news and doesnt represent the entire american population. Of course if Fox news becomes more and more embrace by american people then other countries will start wondering but i dont see it coming soon, hopefully.

The timing is bad but also very ''distasteful''. It reminded me of Howard Strern, 10 years ago. He was live from New York (i guess) and is show was being broadcasted on CHOM-Fm in Montreal. On the first day of the broadcast in Montreal he compared french people (french canadian) to dirt bags or something like that.

The radio station, even if an english one, had a majority of french listerners because they played good 70's rock. Obviously the complaints started coming in and within few weeks the Howard Stern show was off the air but the radio station never really recovered from that. I, for one, used to listen to it quite a lot but never had since then.

But the Fox news show has no listeners at all here in Quebec as it isnt being broadcasted on regular cable but i think it is being boradcasted in the rest of Canada therefor the story is much bigger there.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
Woah, "bashing the US".. no, not at all. I was just backing up my statement saying that many other countries don't look upon Americans in a favorable way. I see this first hand when traveling.. Americans are mocked more than any other country... and I don't think it's purely based on jealousy.

Regardless, this thread about Montreal vs New York has completely went off topic. Perhaps someone can start a new thread if they really want to dive into " other countries who have a distaste for the US"
I was not accusing you of bashing personally, just saying that program represents a very small number of Americans. Yes Americans are mocked by other countries, I cannot explain why but I guess its a mixture of envy and ignorance on the part of both Americans and foreigners. No country has a monopoly on ignorance though, it is pretty equally distributed around the globe.

Back to the point about the FOX News program though, if American society as a whole is to be held responsible for the opinions of these morons, how about Canada and this.....
Radio-Canada crosses line with race-based satire by Les Perreaux | Friends of Canadian Broadcasting

That was beyond distasteful and inappropriate, and even through you will find some level of uproar stateside over this, I do not think I ever heard anyone here say that ALL Canadians are bigoted, racist. etc....

Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM

25 posts, read 74,304 times
Quote:
I was not accusing you of bashing personally, just saying that program represents a very small number of Americans. Yes Americans are mocked by other countries, I cannot explain why but I guess its a mixture of envy and ignorance on the part of both Americans and foreigners. No country has a monopoly on ignorance though, it is pretty equally distributed around the globe.

Back to the point about the FOX News program though, if American society as a whole is to be held responsible for the opinions of these morons, how about Canada and this.....
Radio-Canada crosses line with race-based satire by Les Perreaux | Friends of Canadian Broadcasting

That was beyond distasteful and inappropriate, and even through you will find some level of uproar stateside over this, I do not think I ever heard anyone here say that ALL Canadians are bigoted, racist. etc....
Very true. Fox news does only represent the beliefs of some Americans. Sadly it its those type of people who foreigners remember the most when generalizing the US. Like you said, there is an even balance as to why there is a distaste for Americans. I'm sure many Americans are equally jealous of other countries, such as Canada, UK and most of Europe.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Quote:

BTW, the people responsible for that show made a very public mea culpa and apology, lest their careers go down the tank because of the ensuing mega-embarrassment and hue and cry.

In any event, you should also note that stuff like this that is done in French barely registers in Canada outside Quebec, so most people in Canada wouldn't be aware of this unfortunate episode, nor would they accept this from you as an example of Canada's ugly side, or as national "dirty laundry". What happens in Quebec isn't really seen by most people as typically "Canadian", as Quebec is in many ways seen as the rogue black sheep of the Canadian family.

I would be interested in knowing where you actually heard about this, perhaps by fishing with a Google keywords with Canada and racism or something to that effect?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BTW, the people responsible for that show made a very public mea culpa and apology, lest their careers go down the tank because of the ensuing mega-embarrassment and hue and cry.

In any event, you should also note that stuff like this that is done in French barely registers in Canada outside Quebec, so most people in Canada wouldn't be aware of this unfortunate episode, nor would they accept this from you as an example of Canada's ugly side, or as national "dirty laundry". What happens in Quebec isn't really seen by most people as typically "Canadian", as Quebec is in many ways seen as the rogue black sheep of the Canadian family.

I would be interested in knowing where you actually heard about this, perhaps by fishing with a Google keywords with Canada and racism or something to that effect?
I agree with your points, but as you know I was making a point that this just like the FOX NEWS program was an isolated incident and represented a small portion of the population.

I actually read about this in January by just browsing around different sites online and reading news feeds as I like to do. I also have friends in Montreal as do many people in Massachusetts so I was not alone in hearing about this report. The funny thing is that when I read about this very few of my family members and friends in Toronto (I am from TO originally) had heard about this and doubted that I had my information right. It is funny how my friends in Boston were more up to date on this than most of the people I know in Toronto.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Quote:
I agree with your points, but as you know I was making a point that this just like the FOX NEWS program was an isolated incident and represented a small portion of the population.

I actually read about this in January by just browsing around different sites online and reading news feeds as I like to do. I also have friends in Montreal as do many people in Massachusetts so I was not alone in hearing about this report. The funny thing is that when I read about this very few of my family members and friends in Toronto (I am from TO originally) had heard about this and doubted that I had my information right. It is funny how my friends in Boston were more up to date on this than most of the people I know in Toronto.
Thanks for the interesting insight.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
While Montreal is definitely alive and well on the classical scene, NYC has the MET going on every night, the Philarmonic, etc., a lot more going on than Montreal. Not really hitting on Mtl though! I prefer it to NYC.

Montreal to me is much calmer and walkable than NYC. It has many beautiful, residential neighborhoods and a lot more benches to sit down. NYC is overcrowded all the time, overpriced and stressful. It's amazing to visit it at first, but gets old after a while.
Yes, I agree with you 100%. NYC can burn people out. I'm especially feeling it now with all the Wall Street drama and job losses. People seem to come across as a lot more protective .... and competitive (which I didn't think was humanly possible). ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal