Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,661,286 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure it is but I just wanted to get some reassurance, sorry for asking so many questions.

The reason why I am asking is because my friends pretty much are flaking out on me already and I can predict, rather pretty much KNOW they're not going to try and make the effort to go to Montreal. I would LOVE and much rather my friends come along with me but I know that its not going to happen. So I figure I'll be going alone, which kind of sucks because I would like to hang with my friends and sure a cool experience. However, I'm an adventurous, open-minded and social guy and I don't mind meeting new people and making new friends at all, in fact that's something I always look forward to doing or hoping happens.

So if someone like me who's not bad looking, fun, cool, easy going, open minded and friendly go to Montreal, will I be able to blend in and if I were to like go out during the night to bars or clubs by myself, do you think I would have fun and meet new people?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,544,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'm pretty sure it is but I just wanted to get some reassurance, sorry for asking so many questions.

The reason why I am asking is because my friends pretty much are flaking out on me already and I can predict, rather pretty much KNOW they're not going to try and make the effort to go to Montreal. I would LOVE and much rather my friends come along with me but I know that its not going to happen. So I figure I'll be going alone, which kind of sucks because I would like to hang with my friends and sure a cool experience. However, I'm an adventurous, open-minded and social guy and I don't mind meeting new people and making new friends at all, in fact that's something I always look forward to doing or hoping happens.

So if someone like me who's not bad looking, fun, cool, easy going, open minded and friendly go to Montreal, will I be able to blend in and if I were to like go out during the night to bars or clubs by myself, do you think I would have fun and meet new people?

Thanks!
The city is quite safe and i have no problem letting my 2 teen daughters come and go when they please to visit friends or just go downtown for an event.
Basically if you are partying Crescent st. St Denis St and the Old Port area are the most target rich environment for partiers, there are many more places along St Catherine east of downtown and on St Laurent st'north of Sherbrooke. Subway and buses are great to get around but for the most part everything is in walking distance (under an hour walk), get much out of the downtown core and you'll be into the burbs where nothing happens..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM

536 posts, read 1,433,841 times
I think you can have a great time. The people are generally approachable, the coffee shops, cafés, and bars all lively and vibrant with sociable young folks. Especially if you make it known you're from NYC, good conversation-starter.

Many casual places all over the city, where you can walk in for a drink or a bite, solo, with no cover charge or attitude. Walking along St-Denis or St-Laurent or Mont-Royal, and surrounding areas (Plateau, Quartier Latin) lots of places to duck into for warmth and potential to meet others.

My favourite place to drop in for a pint and the nice vibe is Bily Kun, a cool bar on Mont-Royal just west of St-Denis. Besides the ostrich heads on the wall, great music, cool people, excellent libations including local micro-brews, some tapas at times, they even serve absinthe, albeit not the same trippy stuff from turn-of-the-century Paris.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,519,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post

Thanks!
I've been to Montreal alone. I don't know where you're from, but Montreal is one of the safest cities in North America. I love Montreal-----just go.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM

43 posts, read 174,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Especially if you make it known you're from NYC, good conversation-starter.
Yep. "Bonjour/Bonsoir, I'm from NYC" will guarantee you a fun night. The Bonjour or Bonsoir is highly recommended though, people in MTL like it when others try to speak at least some French.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,661,286 times
Cool Badyouken.

Luckily, I speak a little French. Its not perfect but I can totally try and learn some from now till then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal