Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
A previous poster mentioned French-speaking majority as I negative. I view it quite the opposite and find it one of the draws for me.
Not sure if you were referring to me but I certainly don't view French in Montreal as a negative. (I am a native French speaker living in the province of Quebec.) I know that some people do view it as a negative, however.

Good post BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure if you were referring to me but I certainly don't view French in Montreal as a negative. (I am a native French speaker living in the province of Quebec.) I know that some people do view it as a negative, however.

Good post BTW.

Acajack,
No I was definitely not referring to you when I said a previous poster viewed the language as a negative. I just didn't want to "name names" or start a fight on the board. Sorry if you got the impression I was talking about you. I've read many of your posts and you are an excellent contributor who always seems fair and balanced.
I read this Montreal msg board a bit and I see a lot of posts with English-only speaking people acting with a great deal of apprehension about the language or even saying that the people of Quebec are rude if they don't automatically speak in English. To me that is just silly. It's a French speaking province so get over it I say!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Acajack,
No I was definitely not referring to you when I said a previous poster viewed the language as a negative. I just didn't want to "name names" or start a fight on the board. Sorry if you got the impression I was talking about you.
I suspected as much but just wanted to make things clear. No worries and no offence taken.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,098 times
Lived in Mtl, would definitly love to live in NYC. Don't think the two compare though. You do get the feel you're in MTL or vice-versa when you're in East Village but other than that, completly different cities.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:38 PM

244 posts, read 629,310 times
I live in Montreal and I am in NYC 4 times per year, I love it there, quite a lot. It's sorta of my 2nd home, I guess I'd say the same if I was living in Reno, NV for example and knowing San Francisco is about 8 hours away, I'd say SF is my 2nd home because I love it there so much.

I turned 22 years old a month ago, been living here all my life and I got fed-up. When I first went to NYC, I realized there is much more to the world than staying in the same city all the time, hence why I started to travel a lot and decided to move to California. I had almost set out for NYC because I am in LOVE with the big apple.

Now comparing NY to Montreal, yeah some similarities.

NYC: diverse, intriguing, you've never seen it all, there's always something happening and something to discover. It's life, events, energy, culture, lifestyle, it's what makes it unique.

Montreal; cool, laid back, great metro/bus system. The best (minus expensive fees and big lates) It def. has a great nightlife, great people, good looking women. What lacks is the diversity, Montreal is boring during Winter, while in NYC, I love it. Montreal lacks diversification I find, sure we got great festivals and all, but what makes NYC so cool is

Time Square, boroughs like Little Italy is so cool, yellow cabs, Seaport is alive during winter, old port is not so appealing. Hot dogs, food stands, spirit of Christmas there is very present. Which is what Montreal is lacking, but again, that's only MY point of view of things, which is probably different from a lot of people, but hey, that's what makes a great topic discussion right?

I would choose NYC hands down.

oh yeah, sports sucks here. I'm honestly fed-up of hearing all about the Habs. I want a baseball team again and the Nordiques to come back, would be cool

Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
I prefer Montreal. I couldn't stand to be in a city as big and populous as New York, and I just think MTL is more interesting overall. I like Montreal's northern location, cold winters, love of hockey and mountainous setting. Also, I think the whole "French thing" makes MTL even more interesting. Je parle un peu de français québécois, not fluent at all, but enough to find my way home if I was stranded on the north side of Montreal.

As for the whole "America vs. Canada" thing: I think they're both great countries. I live in Minnesota, which is pretty much Canada in the USA, so I can understand a little of both sides. I don't have a distaste for French Canadians at all. Personally, I like Canada's "multicultural" outlook (similar to that of Minnesota) and their diversity of languages (English, French, Inuktitut, etc.). I also think Canada's reputation for racial tolerance is great. To me, Canada seems to be a more "levelheaded" country than the US: there is far less sensationalism there than here in the States.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,718 times
I live in montreal, and i love it. I love the culture, the downtown, the language and diversity. I love the mountain, and the parks. It's true that knowing french does help, but i am an Anglo who speaks french, and i find plenty of thing to do in English.
I was recently in Boston and I didn't think it was too bad. Not the place that i would want to be. People were friendly there, but the downtown wasn't big and there wasn't so much diversity. But yet i was only there for barely a whole day.
I personally, want to live in New York city once i'm done high school and cegep. New York looks like a beautiful city that has anything i would want. Now, i have only been there when i was four, so my opinion might change when i do the sec 5 N.Y. trip.
Now it is imposable to compare N.Y. to Montreal, because they are so different. I will admit that sometimes I feel that i get bored of Montreal, but that is probably because i look at N.Y. as the place where you can do anything. N.Y. is a huge city where "no one ever sleeps" and Montreal is a nice moderated sized city with stuff to do.
Now, when it comes to Montreal and Boston, I love Montreal and i'm happy i live in montreal. And the architecture im Montreal IS one of a kind and i beautiful. And not that this is important or anything, but when i was in boston, i went on the subway system and it was disgusting compared to the Montreal Metro which has art and each metro is designed to be nice looking.
So, in my opinion, Mtl vs. Boston: Montreal
Mtl vs. N.Y.: incomparable, but N.Y. wins on an international level.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab.lior.m View Post

N.Y. is a huge city where "no one ever sleeps"
The city never sleeps, the people do..

NYC is a big city with many neighborhoods, which neighborhoods are you envisioning when you picture NYC?, Like Montreal the majority of the population in NYC live outside city center and you'll find some neighborhoods are better than others in both cities...

Old 12-06-2010, 01:00 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,375 times
Spent time in both places and have friends in both. NYC is only livable if you have an income approaching $200K (or more), and it has become so expensive that the people who used to make it interesting---writers, musicians, artists, actors, etc. can no longer afford to live there. New York has become a magnet for hyper-materialistic capitalists, whom I find aggressive, obnoxious, nervous, boring, shallow, self-absorbed, and just plain mean. They've ruined New York for the rest of the population. As someone said in an earlier post, Montreal is more on a human scale, and it's population is much more relaxed and friendly. I never feel endangered in Montreal, anywhere at any time of the day. It also has a great local Jazz scene. Rue St. Catherine and the Ille De View district are unsurpassed in North America for walkability and entertainment. I think it also has the best looking people of any city I've visited in the world. The city itself is just plain beautiful. If it weren't for winter, I'd seriously consider moving there.

Last edited by smithy77; 12-06-2010 at 01:09 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Spent time in both places and have friends in both. NYC is only livable if you have an income approaching $200K (or more), and it has become so expensive that the people who used to make it interesting---writers, musicians, artists, actors, etc. can no longer afford to live there. New York has become a magnet for hyper-materialistic capitalists, whom I find aggressive, obnoxious, nervous, boring, shallow, self-absorbed, and just plain mean. They've ruined New York for the rest of the population. As someone said in an earlier post, Montreal is more on a human scale, and it's population is much more relaxed and friendly. I never feel endangered in Montreal, anywhere at any time of the day. It also has a great local Jazz scene. Rue St. Catherine and the Ille De View district are unsurpassed in North America for walkability and entertainment. I think it also has the best looking people of any city I've visited in the world. The city itself is just plain beautiful. If it weren't for winter, I'd seriously consider moving there.
Interesting comments, but where is Ille de View in Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal