Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:20 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times
No kidding. The comparisons get a bit old after a while, especially since Montreal and New York are their own entities with their own unique identities... New York is New York and Montreal is Montreal. Why only one? Why can't we have both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 78,576 times
I've vistied both cities so many times in my life, but in the end Montreal takes the cake.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM

110 posts, read 620,912 times
Default Am i bias ?

Great comparison.....i like it !

I also choose Montreal over NYC for several reasons. I think NYC looses to many points with me and that is why, down the road, i prefer Montreal.

For having lived in NYC for a while and be from Montreal i know both cities very well. Of course, the major plus for Montreal is the entire french/quebecois culture that is almost inexistant in NYC and since i am a french quebecois therefor i kinda need it after a while. Montreal is also much more human and humble. It has many different neighborhoods, several interesting ethnic areas, a lot of affordable restaurants that are very good and obviously the rent is much cheaper.

The downside of Montreal would probably be the winter...especially after the holidays where it last too long and is way too cold.

NYC, while very energetic and sensational, is loosing a lot by being too corporate, too much traffic, too expensive, too many people, too hyper and too agressive. NYC obviously has plenty of diverse areas and neighborhoods and many ethnics groups are very lively and fully part of the city.

Both cities have an awfully bad access to their river except that far away one can find a beach on the ocean front in NYC.....and while Montreal is more bike friendly than New York i think the public transport, especially subway, is much better is NYC than in Montreal.

Montreal really needs some action, a real leader and a way to bring people back within the city as the a lot of them have fled to the suburbs even if it doesnt compare at all with other US cities.

New York needs to cool down a bit, to get back 20 or 30 years ago when ordinary everyday people we're fully part of the city and not excluded. Nowadays the center is only for tourist or wall street/corporate type or artist/actor wanabees......or people with a lot of money.

Allright, i'll stop here as i could expand all night long but........Maybe because i am quebecois and originally from this city that i choose Montreal but.....hey....Le Vieux Montreal (beautiful), Le Plateau (very interesting), our minuscule Chinatown (very charming), Mile End (Very hip), Little Italy (A real italian neighborhood) and let's not forget.....well, Canal Lachine, Westmount, the Village and......and yes, the pubs of the english side of town and the cafés in the french part of town....kind of unique !

Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
As someone from NY, I'd of course chose NY. Its a good mix of people from all countries in the world, lots of different and interesting neighborhoods in all the different boroughs (not just Manhattan), more survivable winter (no need for an underground city), world recognizable skyline, broadway, several opera companies, etc. etc. Plus a 24 hour transportation system.. love that.

But in the end can you really compare a city with a metro area of 3.5 with one of almost 19 million?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
But in the end can you really compare a city with a metro area of 3.5 with one of almost 19 million?
I think we can compare both cities. 3.5 millions is still big.....so it's not like comparing a village or a suburb to a big city. The fact that it is smaller will appeal to some people and others will prefer NYC because it is VERY big....but apart from the size there are many elements to compare. It's true that NYC gets very diversed and much better when including the other boroughs but that i also one thing i have a problem with. When in Manhattan people seems to not care abou other boroughs and when in Queens or Bronx or Brooklyn you sort of feeel left out of New York because Manhattan is sooo....this and so that. The bridges and tunnels, even if spectacular, are a turn off for me.

As far as the skyline goes, yes, New York is on top with few selected cities around the globe and Montreal's skyline isnt that impressive mainly because of a city regulation that forbids buildings to be higher than the Mont-Royal (The mountain).

The 24 hours trains system is a plus...definitively. Not only because it is 24 hours but because it goes all over the place and in remote neighborhoods.

But my favorite part of Manhattan.....back then, was 42nd street....and then came Giuliani and he destroyed it all only to built another ''inner city'' Disney Land...... that was one of the worst move even if it eliminated part of the crime. I think the NYC of the pre-90's never really recovered and simply became very corporate.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
and I was not a fan of 42nd street then and I still am not a fan of 42nd street now
NYC has always been financial center that hasn't change pre or post 90s..
when you live in the neighborhoods you get a village feel.. that hasn't changed either...
the one thing that has changed is the feeling of safety has improved from the early 90s i many neighborhoods
chelsea use to be a scary place, not anymore
my old neighborhood on 110/broadway was scary in the past.. no longer..

Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM

106 posts, read 357,938 times
Here's an interesting article. IT companies are fleeing NYC for Montreal because of the provinces large tax breaks. I've always loved Montreal and think I may catch this wave. It be nice to have enough money to travel again. I haven't been able to afford a vacation for 2yrs. It would also be nice to receive free health care again.

As layoffs continue in the US, firms move IT departments to Montreal (http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Kovasys-Inc-951672.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Well, cityboy2, anytime you wish to move to Montreal you are welcome to do so and you will surely enjoy it a a new experience, as a different experience but remember one thing: Or two things i shall say: Remember to bring you warm clothes for the winter...real winter that is (unlike NYC ones) and remember to learn a couple of french word like Bonjour, merci etc... These are the ''password'' for a more pleasurable stay as i assume you wouldnt want to cut yourself from a huge part of the population and culture.

Minibrings: I agree with you about the safety although i think the ''safety problems'' have simply been pushed away in places like Long Island, East Orange, Newark etc.... But i dont agree with you about the financial center. Yes, it always been a financial center but one has to admit that in the last 15 years or so it has become way too crazy, the city has become a lot more corporate than it ever was. Ordinary cool and affordable areas have all become part of this corporate entertainment business....and i am inclusing places like the East Village.....the Meat packing district etc.... where they we're once bohemian or ''alternative'' lifestyle people....now, Hyp hotels have been built, chain restaurants and coffe shops are all over the place as well as new condos and stores belongings to corporate entreprise or big names (Stella McCartney per example).

I know it is the same almost everywhere but in NYC is has been brought to a level never seen before.....a corporate city.....just like 42nd street....

Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Points....

The strong points of NYC: It is very vibrant with a lot of energy. It also has a huge cultural diversity and many ethnic neighborhoods (Chinatown is amazing). The theater scene is very interesting (for the ones that enjoy that) as well as museums. The same applies for the hype and show bizz scene which attracts a lot of people in need to be seen or to see.... Central park is great and very well located. Broadway are Park Ave. are great streets and the Village, Soho and Upper west side are alos great. Mayne places in Brooklyn are also interesting even if somewhat remote.

The weak points of NYC: It is way to expensive for the average person. The fact that Manhattan is an island physically and psychologically puts barriers beetwen Manhattan and other burroughs and the eadaches and pollutionn caused by the bridges and tunnels is awful. It is not a bike nor pedestrian friendly city. It is also to warm and humid in the summer, it has to many airports and, for me, it is way to self-absorbed. Terrible access to the riverside as well.

The Strong points of Montreal: The unique mix of french and american culture which can be felt in architecture, culinary and cultural events. Montreal also did a relatively good job by keeping it's architectural heritage that one can see in many neighborhoods. The almost stress-free life which comes from the latin background. The fact that it is a major, modern and diverse city with a majority of french speaking people (Unique in North america).

The weak points of Montreal: Bad access to the riverside as well. Tough, very tough and long winters. The bureaucracy and the strong union often paralyses projects and do cost a lot of money for the city. The division beetwen the anglos and francos can often be heavy and non effective even if never agressive.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
Right, although Boston is more similar to Montreal than LA or Las Vegas in that it is of traditional Eastern urbanism. But Montreal is not like any other city beyond this point. Las Vegas and LA, for instance, are very much alike; I'd say the only substantive difference is one of industry (gambling vs. movies). Philadelphia and Baltimore differ mostly in terms of size (and so the diversity of arts, entertainment, etc.).

More than most cities, Montreal is a place of celebration and that's what many people see as "culture." In fact, Montreal is merely good at cultural expression, which is what keeps it alive, diverse, and in dialogue. No other place in North American I've been to--and I admit that I'm not the jet setter some are in this forum--has that ease of celebration on the whole.
Ever been to New Orleans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal