Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 11:31 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In the south above ground pools get too warm. I'm talking water temps into the 90's unless you drain it and refill it with tap water. In ground pools get warm as well but maybe only max out at 87 or so in August. Nothing like going out at midnight in the summer and skinny dipping in bath like warm pool water (and this is unheated).
Believe it or not above ground pools sometimes get too warm here as well during heat waves.

My own in-ground is in full sun all day so I barely heat it in July and it stays around the mid to upper 80s F most of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Believe it or not above ground pools sometimes get too warm here as well during heat waves.

My own in-ground is in full sun all day so I barely heat it in July and it stays around the mid to upper 80s F most of the month.
Mid to upper 80's is a very nice temp because you can go swimming at midnight and not be the least bit cool.

90's pool temps are a bit too warm and even in ground pools can get that hot here so some people have a misting system that basically cools it through evaporation.

The lake near me usually tops out around 87 although it's been to 91 before when the lake was low and we had a drought of 105+ for over a month. Never too hot to go to the nude beach though! It just means everyone will be in the water...

Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 PM

This is just a general comment, but I don't think your average, lifelong U.S. Southerner would feel short-changed out of summertime delights at all if he/she spent May to September where I live.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 PM

518 posts, read 398,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Being fit isn't so much about swimming laps and doing exercise, but rather being off one's ass and being active. In Quebec, I know that, regardless of the time of year, people spend significantly more time outdoors doing things (not just sitting around on the porch) than anywhere else I've been in the US/Canada.
really?? I clicked on the satellite maps - from Acajack and the topic maker - and there are sparsely any people. So where are they? Do you mean by outdoors, eating chips in Montréal Underground City??? Does that count as outdoor?

Seems like the kids are watching Netflix all the time and the adults are either in Carrefour Laval or on Internet forums - considering some Québécois have 20,000+ posts.

Quote:
Above-ground pools are also considered less classy in Quebec.

I would've gone for an above-ground myself but my wife thought that wasn't chic enough. So we have an in-ground.

Oh Acajack, you just don't have the right fashion taste, don't ya! In-ground is so outdated and Michelle Obamaesque. Moi, je suis avant-garde, I went for the future, I went for underground swimming pools and I am ahead of time and will go for upground swimming pools (that are high-level swimming pools in buidlings à la Melania Trump) soon.

I'd like to write a longer reply but I'll go outdoor now, see ya xoxo

Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
This is just a general comment, but I don't think your average, lifelong U.S. Southerner would feel short-changed out of summertime delights at all if he/she spent May to September where I live.
You mean I wouldn't miss this?

Southeast US version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvebsWcpto

I've actually been to a July 4th celebration like what is in the video, it was in Missouri. 4 wheelers, self done fireworks, kegs, it was very fun.

Southwest US version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmZ9xRO7M9M

I'm not sure what kind of activities go on during Canada Day, it's around the same time...

I actually spent some time in Quebec during festival season, it was quite nice.

In reality sometimes the rivers in Texas can get quite crowded during the summer, maybe too much so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0tXT8PCXl0

Last edited by cBach; 12-18-2018 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
For the same reason, we have skis, skates, snowshoes, even though we can't use them for 8-9 months of the year.
The equivalent is swimming trunks and bikinis not actual pools. To be proportional, you ask why dont everyone have a ski slope, and trails in their backyard.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
You mean I wouldn't miss this?

Southeast US version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvebsWcpto

I've actually been to a July 4th celebration like what is in the video, it was in Missouri. 4 wheelers, self done fireworks, kegs, it was very fun.

Southwest US version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmZ9xRO7M9M

I'm not sure what kind of activities go on during Canada Day, it's around the same time...

I actually spent some time in Quebec during festival season, it was quite nice.

In reality sometimes the rivers in Texas can get quite crowded during the summer, maybe too much so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0tXT8PCXl0
You think we don't have hot babes in bikinis and daisy dukes playing in the water under the warm summer sun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDiUXp96ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283sjvDBZMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwLPRFSECg

The rest of the stuff you posted is "cultural" and not really related to weather or geography.

I could say that in the Southern U.S. I'd miss out on singing Quebec folk songs with my buddies playing guitar by the campfire.

Or the big St-Jean-Baptiste celebrations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cBaWvMwGU

Or the Acadian Tintamarre in Caraquet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3dFR9QqSt4

Old 12-19-2018, 05:34 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Above-ground pools are also considered less classy in Quebec. But they're also way cheaper and easier to get rid of when you don't want it anymore. (A lot of people get rid of them when the kids leave the house.).
A factor that has not been brought up is that very few municipalities in Quebec bill homeowners for the actual amount of water that is used. As a result we are among the worst in the world in terms of water conservation, which probably contributes a little to the popularity of pools. This also applies to our cheap electricity.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
A factor that has not been brought up is that very few municipalities in Quebec bill homeowners for the actual amount of water that is used. As a result we are among the worst in the world in terms of water conservation, which probably contributes a little to the popularity of pools. This also applies to our cheap electricity.
Yeah. Even the biggest municipalities in Quebec don't have residential water meters. (None of them AFAIK.) We've only very recently moved to mandatory water meters for industrial, commercial and institutional users in Quebec. Residential ones are probably a long way off.

I don't think it's a major one - I don't use that much tap water for my pool in a given year. Once I had to empty it for repairs and to refill it I got a truck with river water to fill it faster. It cost about 500 bucks.

But it's likely one of a number of things that makes the cost environment more pool-friendly in Quebec.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Do you have to drain pools in Canada? I'm sure you have to drain the above ground pools but do you drain the below ground pools? We didn't even have a drain on ours, but we had a cover, mainly to prevent leaves from getting in the pool.
Very, very few people drain their pools completely for the winter.

Generally you bring your water level down maybe six inches below the skimmer opening and jets. Then you remove all piping and movable equipment above that level, or vacuum and blow out, and then seal off any stuff above that level that needs to stay in place outside.

My pool water never freezes all the way to the bottom. There is a block of ice that forms at the surface and that varies in thickness throughout the winter. During milder periods it has the consistency of slush, but is rock hard during cold snaps.

Actually covering the pool for winter is probably 50-50. Some do, some don't. I do, to cut down the number of leaves I need to clean out of it in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal