Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which culture shock is the greatest?
Montreal-Minneapolis 13 68.42%
Montreal-rural Quebec 6 31.58%
Both the same 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:49 PM

579 posts, read 664,585 times

Advertisements

There's one practical reason why I'm inquiring about these particular combinations.

On one hand I know that Minneapolis is rather different compared to Montreal (language issues and weather aside) even it being an urban-to-urban move, on the other hand, urban and rural Quebec are rather different, and even more so for someone that speaks fluent French and English.

But rural Quebec vs. Minneapolis will be a greater culture shock than either of the two options debated, there's no question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 05:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Montreal to Canada because Rural French Canada still has a Quebecois flavor to it

Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Minneapolis to Montreal is a far greater greater culture shock. No contest. Montreal is very different from the United States, especially when leave the immediate downtown area. It isn't just Toronto with a sprinkling of French, it's about as different from Minneapolis as many cities in Latin America or Europe.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Minneapolis to Montreal is a far greater greater culture shock. No contest. Montreal is very different from the United States, especially when leave the immediate downtown area. It isn't just Toronto with a sprinkling of French, it's about as different from Minneapolis as many cities in Latin America or Europe.
The exact degree of difference depends mostly on these 3 things: the socioeconomic status of each area considered, whether said areas are urban, suburban or rural, as well as the US state considered.

Montreal will be different from Minneapolis in different ways from New Orleans, and different from Lac qui Parle (MN) or Sugar Land (TX) in yet more different fashions.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I guess they are both urban environments so i can see where you are coming from but i'm sure the two cities are still pretty different from each other.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Yvanung are you planning on relocating to Quebec from Minnesota? as until you get here and come to your own conclusions we are just giving you our opinions that you may disagree with entirely once here..
My opinions being take the language out of the issue and Quebec is just like the USA, in the bigger cities you have all the usual American commercial outlets all the same vehicles turn on any radio station and you;ll hear much American music or on tv much American programming, rural Quebec is like rural places anywhere as hard working people go out every day to tend their farms or rural enterprises,i cant think of anything different in rural Quebec than in rural America.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-19-2015 at 05:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are you planning on relocating to Quebec from Minnesota? as until you get here and come to your own conclusions we are just giving you our opinions that you may disagree with entirely.
My opinions being take the language out of the issue and Quebec is just like the USA, in the bigger cities you have all the usual American commercial outlets all the same vehicles turn on any radio station and you;ll hear much American music or on tv much American programming, rural Quebec is like rural places anywhere as hard working people go out every day to tend their farms or rural enterprises,i cant think of anything different in rural Quebec than in rural America
You have that backwards; I will relocate to Minnesota from Quebec in two weeks or so.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
You have that backwards; I will relocate to Minnesota from Quebec in two weeks or so.
I moved from urban Montreal to a suburban town in Connecticut. There wasn't much difference; it was very easy to acclimate. Had I moved to a rural town -- anywhere! -- it would have been a huge change for me.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Rural Quebec vs MSP, IMO.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
In that case i'd be interested in what differences other than linguistic you find in your new home..
Best of luck on your move eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal