Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 02:51 PM

26,935 posts, read 38,268,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
is this true? wow
It's not extremely widespread but it likely does exist. Just as it does in many other places in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 03:03 PM

193 posts, read 219,120 times
It's the same thing in ROC(Rest of Canada). You cannot find a good job no matter how talented you are or how fancy your degree is from your country of origin. You need "Canadian experience". For immigrants, they are fighting an uphill battle regardless of province or language. But it makes sense that Canadians would want to protect job security for their citizens first.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM

194 posts, read 425,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
You got it!

However, to be fair though, a lot of them did stay, which is an indication that it's still feasible to make a living without advanced knowledge of French in Montreal. But most of these people are very blue collar.
Not exactly true. Quite a few first generation Chinese and Indians in Montreal that speak only basic French and have reasonable jobs, definitely not blue collar.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,907,516 times
Quote:
It's the same thing in ROC(Rest of Canada). You cannot find a good job no matter how talented you are or how fancy your degree is from your country of origin. You need "Canadian experience". For immigrants, they are fighting an uphill battle regardless of province or language. But it makes sense that Canadians would want to protect job security for their citizens first.
Do you believe this to be true even if someone goes through the Permanent Resident process, learns French and has strong experience (in addition to the education)? I'm wondering how Canadian immigration has tripled its numbers this past year for PR if people are not able to find any good jobs (e.g. IT jobs) .

Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
Not exactly true. Quite a few first generation Chinese and Indians in Montreal that speak only basic French and have reasonable jobs, definitely not blue collar.
Depends what you mean by "first generation".

People of those origins who are under 40 (even under 50) who grew up in Montreal generally speak French just fine.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Do you believe this to be true even if someone goes through the Permanent Resident process, learns French and has strong experience (in addition to the education)? I'm wondering how Canadian immigration has tripled its numbers this past year for PR if people are not able to find any good jobs (e.g. IT jobs) .
well, I don't know how it is in Toronto but according to what I see in Montreal,

it seems like a ton of immigrants rely on employment within their own ethnic bloc

and are generally happy to get by with menial jobs with no prospect in social mobility.

many immigrants in Canada are from third world countries, where people have it way worse.

for them, underemployment or other sub-par jobs in Canada is much better than whatever they had in their own country.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
There are some barriers for sure (including the dreaded "Canadian experience" one that has nothing to do with race or ethnicity) but I don't think it's unsurmountable. Even if it is problematic I agree.

That said, the large numbers of people coming into Canada aren't necessarily a sign of most of them landing great jobs when they are here.

People are lured by the dream - the reality on the ground when they get here may be different.

Also, barriers to obtaining a good job in Canada may exist but they may not be as worse as they are in most other western countries.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are some barriers for sure (including the dreaded "Canadian experience" one that has nothing to do with race or ethnicity) but I don't think it's unsurmountable. Even if it is problematic I agree.

That said, the large numbers of people coming into Canada aren't necessarily a sign of most of them landing great jobs when they are here.

People are lured by the dream - the reality on the ground when they get here may be different.

Also, barriers to obtaining a good job in Canada may exist but they may not be as worse as they are in most other western countries.
Coming from Philly, we want to be in Montreal over the longer term. However, we're thinking maybe getting residency in Toronto for a few years as a stepping stone to getting into the country. Work on learning more French, get citizenship (if possible) and then move a few years in.

I have 15 years of professional experience with post-graduate degree (top 5%'er). My wife has a post-grad degree and at least 5 years of experience. I figured there would be opportunity there, but I'm too early in the process to see what that looks like.

Btw, I'm fully prepared for the experience on the ground. I'm definitely not imagining a fairy tale.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 AM

If you have that much experience, you might get sponsored by a company.

Definitely look into that line. I'm pretty sure you can also buy your own sponsorship.

There is a whole industry out there which takes advantage of incoming immigrants.

But if you have no job experience, no higher ed degree, but some money, there still is a way through Quebec province nomination.

You just need to satisfy two requirements.

i) pass a B2 level of French. you can just take courses in local universities, which is much easier than taking the standardized tests like DELF or TEFAQ. And trust me this level of French is not a high level of French. It's a piece of cake. Just show up to class and do your HW and the instructor will pass you.

ii) finish 1800 hours of any post-secondary education in Quebec. This will cost around $20,000 for a 1.5 year program.

it's called PEQ, btw. possibly, the easiest immigration program anywhere in the world for people with no qualification, but it's expensive.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
If you have that much experience, you might get sponsored by a company.

Definitely look into that line. I'm pretty sure you can also buy your own sponsorship.

There is a whole industry out there which takes advantage of incoming immigrants.

But if you have no job experience, no higher ed degree, but some money, there still is a way through Quebec province nomination.

You just need to satisfy two requirements.

i) pass a B2 level of French. you can just take courses in local universities, which is much easier than taking the standardized tests like DELF or TEFAQ. And trust me this level of French is not a high level of French. It's a piece of cake. Just show up to class and do your HW and the instructor will pass you.

ii) finish 1800 hours of any post-secondary education in Quebec. This will cost around $20,000 for a 1.5 year program.

it's called PEQ, btw. possibly, the easiest immigration program anywhere in the world for people with no qualification, but it's expensive.
Thank you, very helpful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal