Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times

Advertisements

Yet another AI investment and lab in Montreal, a new AI world centre! great news.

Artificial intelligence update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 05:39 PM

218 posts, read 509,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Montreal, a new AI world centre!
Haha, another comedy post by djesus about "word center of AI" Montreal. Be it established AI research companies or AI startup hubs, Montreal is not even on the map.

Is it pure laine companies hunting PhDs and opening branches all over the globe or another yankee company looking to save a buck with cheap CAD and poor overeducated overqualified Canadian workforce with no high rolling Canadian jobs in existence there?

When I was Canada I noticed everybody was studying something so hard all the time and talking about degrees, but nobody had freaking real high profile jobs or any path to them, even in theory. No wonder all they could do is to study till they drop dead. Finding some outsourced job in American branch office could be one the best thing happen to them, provided they were chained to Canada.

Canadian business culture is so impotent and labor market is so cheap and lethargic, that, I'm sorry, no world AI center would happen there, not this century and likely ever. I've been to a dozen professional workplaces in Montreal (big and small companies), and I swear, it struck me that Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery had more energy and life to it than the most of those.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
You certainly do carry a grudge against Montreal.Every one of your 200 posts is a negative against Montreal .Why would some one from NY give a damn about what goes on in Montreal.?
What happened? did s/he dump you?

https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.NuA3WjLKVyA

Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Writing articles on the internet with the words "Montreal world AI center" in the titles and Montreal actually being world AI research leader are two very different things.

djesus: "Montreal, a new AI world centre!"
djesus: "Montreal is in fact, a world leader in the A.I"

Montreal will always have place in my heart, but give me a break, please, the leaders have HQs and expand elsewhere, not open branch offices or solicit government taxpayer-backed breaks and funding.

AI leaders (who will be the employers hiring and telling what to do next, provided they open a branch): https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...-intelligence/

1. Deepmind
2. Google
3. Facebook
4. OpenAI
5. Baidu
6. Microsoft
7. Apple
8. IBM

Startups: 50 Companies Leading the Artificial Intelligence Revolution | Fortune

"We know that artificial intelligence will soon reshape our world. But which companies will lead the way? To help *answer that question, research firm CB Insights recently selected the “AI 100,” a list of the 100 most promising artificial intelligence startups globally. The private companies were chosen (from a pool of over 1,650 candidates) by CB Insights’ Mosaic algorithm, based on factors like financing history, investor quality, business category, and momentum. A look at the 50 largest startups on the list, ranked by total funds raised, shows that investment in AI is surging worldwide. But, for now at least, the U.S. appears to be leading the revolution."

What Montreal AI companies do you know and what are they known for so it should deserve such claims?

Having some government funding and "AI companies" anyone has to google for to know their names doesn't make Montreal "a world leader in A.I."

Old 10-06-2017, 08:31 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You certainly do carry a grudge against Montreal.Every one of your 200 posts is a negative against Montreal .Why would some one from NY give a damn about what goes on in Montreal.?
What happened? did s/he dump you?

https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.NuA3WjLKVyA
He even finds a way to turn into a bad thing the fact that people in Montreal study lots to become educated.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:11 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He even finds a way to turn into a bad thing the fact that people in Montreal study lots to become educated.
I found that strange as well. "People were studying hard subjects." This is bad how exactly?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:32 PM

I suspect a trump voter.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I found that strange as well. "People were studying hard subjects." This is bad how exactly?
Someone too salty or has comprehension issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist;
When I was Canada I noticed everybody was studying something so hard all the time and talking about degrees, but nobody had freaking real high profile jobs or any path to them, even in theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101;
I suspect a trump voter.
Don't get upset that much. A.I. is just not a Canadian thing like many others, big deal.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM

So i guess all these news stories are fake news stories =
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.IBtRabD7MsE

Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Not fake stories, but don't make Montreal a world leader in the A.I. My whole point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal