Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 04:25 AM

20 posts, read 71,745 times

Advertisements

Good-morning House,

I am from Africa, I intend moving to Montreal as a PR by august this year and I have been doing some research online which brought me here.

Please I need some advise, I am an accountant (not chartered) and I intend to work in an office (internship preferably in an accounting firm etc)while I upgrade my certs.

I can speak and write french but not fluently.
I'm also coming with my kids under 5years, they understand only English.

I need to settle in a city where i can live, get a job and day cares for my kids, I don't wanna live far from the day care or work to enable me handle it well since I will be coming without my spouse.

A friend advise I go to cote des neiges, But I hardly see accounting job ads in that area, I am looking at dorval, DDO, or any other city that will be good for us.

Is it possible to get a bank job in Canada?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,097,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjwel View Post
Good-morning House,

I am from Africa, I intend moving to Montreal as a PR by august this year and I have been doing some research online which brought me here.

Please I need some advise, I am an accountant (not chartered) and I intend to work in an office (internship preferably in an accounting firm etc)while I upgrade my certs.

I can speak and write french but not fluently.
I'm also coming with my kids under 5years, they understand only English.

I need to settle in a city where i can live, get a job and day cares for my kids, I don't wanna live far from the day care or work to enable me handle it well since I will be coming without my spouse.

A friend advise I go to cote des neiges, But I hardly see accounting job ads in that area, I am looking at dorval, DDO, or any other city that will be good for us.

Is it possible to get a bank job in Canada?

Thx
Your French will have to be pretty good in order to get a bank job in Montreal. Unless it's with an office that deals in transactions outside the province of Quebec. And these jobs are not that numerous.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:08 AM

Ok .. Thanks I appreciate

Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Your French will have to be pretty good in order to get a bank job in Montreal. Unless it's with an office that deals in transactions outside the province of Quebec. And these jobs are not that numerous.
yes I have my csq

Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,575 times
newjwel,

be aware that you may have to take a lower level job than what you're used to.
I've spoken with and known enough immigrants to know that you should be prepared to "work down" while you acquire canadian/quebec experience and you learn French. If you think you're going to stay in Montreal, start practicing spoken french right away when you get here and don't waste any time.

Don't believe those who tell you that africans can "only" get low level jobs here.
While you may have to start with a low-level job (for example banking call center), I know enough black african immigrants who are doing quite fine here. If you're competent and you work well with people, in general you will have your chance to find your niche in our system.

Cote-des-Neiges is a "traditional" first neighborhood for african immigrants (and other immigrants too). You may want to look at othe neighborhoods, though.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM

@hvl,
Thanks alot but will I able to get the lower level job in cote-des-neiges? Are there day-cares?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM

15 posts, read 29,758 times
You don't necessarily have to work in the neighbourhood in which you live. Montreal has excellent public transit so commuting around the island is easy even without a car. There are plenty of neighbourhoods in which to choose from so it helps if you give us an idea of what you'd like to pay in rent. Cote des Neiges is pretty affordable and a common neighbourhood for new immigrants. It's also close to downtown where a lot of jobs will be. As for daycares there are plenty around the island so I wouldn't worry about that.

I also second what hvl says. You will in all likelihood have to accept a position that is a lot lower than what you're used to at the beginning however if you work at it you can eventually end up in a good job. You'll also need to work on improving your French (written and spoken) because that is necessary here especially for accountants. Since you already have a foundation for the language you might find that once you get immersed in it (as you will be here) your skills start to improve. There are also language classes offered. I believe but I can't be sure that the government even offers them for new immigrants so that would be worth looking into.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 AM

@canadian_wanderer
Thanks alot, I really appreciate ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal