Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM

81 posts, read 202,476 times

Advertisements

Are there any Hispanics in Montreal?

What neighborhood are they concentrated in?

A lot of Mexicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1478971 View Post
Are there any Hispanics in Montreal?
Yes.

Quote:
What neighborhood are they concentrated in?
Don't know. But I'm sure Monsieur Jambo can help you.

Quote:
A lot of Mexicans?
According to MICC stats, between 2008-2009, there were 8706 new immigrants from Mexico.
As to the total number living in Montreal, you can check the 2006 Census of Quebec.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM

26,878 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Just of the top of my head, I think hispanics are one of the fastest-growing immigrant groups in Montreal. They are not concentrated in one particular area but many do live in the east or northeast of the city.

There are some Mexicans but I believe the largest groups of hispanics in Quebec are probably Colombians, Salvadorians and Chileans (in no particular order).

Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Here are interesting stats for you (in French). 2001 numbers though, numbers from the 2011 census probably aren't out yet.

Not as many people from Mexico as people from Chile, El Salvador and Peru (which surprised me a bit), but Mexico was trending up back then. The Mexicans seem to be a bit more concentrated in Côte des Neiges while most of the other groups are in Rosemont, Saint-Michel/Parc-Extension, or generally in the North and East as Acajack said.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 74,443 times
Hispanics are minority in Montreal and in Quebec in general due to French language.
Most Quebecers are Europeans and Middle Easterns.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazme View Post
Hispanics are minority in Montreal and in Quebec in general due to French language.
Most Quebecers are Europeans and Middle Easterns.
I'll assume that by your last sentence, you meant "most Quebec immigrants are Europeans and Middle Easterns", and that by "Middle Easterns" you actually mean Muslims from French-speaking countries (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon). Because of immigration from those countries, as well as Haiti and West African (French) countries, I've often read that immigration is more balanced in Quebec than the rest of Canada, which gets a much larger proportion of Asian immigrants.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 PM

81 posts, read 202,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Here are interesting stats for you (in French). 2001 numbers though, numbers from the 2011 census probably aren't out yet.

Not as many people from Mexico as people from Chile, El Salvador and Peru (which surprised me a bit), but Mexico was trending up back then. The Mexicans seem to be a bit more concentrated in Côte des Neiges while most of the other groups are in Rosemont, Saint-Michel/Parc-Extension, or generally in the North and East as Acajack said.
interesting.

What occupations are they usually in? I am comparing hispanics in Quebec to the ones in the USA. How do they cope with the language barrier?
Also by extension are there any in Quebec City?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I'll assume that by your last sentence, you meant "most Quebec immigrants are Europeans and Middle Easterns", and that by "Middle Easterns" you actually mean Muslims from French-speaking countries (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon). Because of immigration from those countries, as well as Haiti and West African (French) countries, I've often read that immigration is more balanced in Quebec than the rest of Canada, which gets a much larger proportion of Asian immigrants.
Quite right. Québec puts the emphasis on french speakers from Europe and former French colonies in the Maghreb as well West Africa and the Caribbean. Hispanics are also a priority as it is fairly easy for them to learn french. In Rosemont (where I used to live), you are more likely to hear Spanish on the street than English and there are many hispanophones in Villeray/Mile End/Petite Patrie (around Jean Talon Market where I now reside). Here are the statistics from 2006:

Montréal

Africa 26%, Europe 23%, Asia 21%, Americas 20%, Middle East 10%

Toronto

Asia 59%, Europe 13%, Americas 12%, Middle East 10%, Africa 6%

Vancouver

Asia 71%, Europe 10%, Middle East 8%, Americas 6%, Africa 3%, Oceania 2%

As well, immigrants are most likely to settle in the more central areas of Montréal whereas they head straight to the suburbs in Toronto and Vancouver

Montréal

Toronto

Vancouver

Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I am comparing hispanics in Quebec to the ones in the USA. How do they cope with the language barrier?
As Habfanman said, they seem to learn French pretty easily and integrate into Quebec society without much difficulty.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Also by extension are there any in Quebec City?
By Canadian standards Quebec City has relatively few immigrants, but numbers are slowly growing there as well. There is a small hispanic community there, as there is also in Sherbrooke and Gatineau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal