Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times

Advertisements

ok, so 22 yrs old female. i live in the souths of the U.S (SC) but i hate it !!! im originally from Africa so im fluent in French, my dad moved us here 7 yrs ago and unfortunatly i just cant get with the program. now that i have lived a significant amount of time in both back home and here in the U.S, it feels like I dont belong anywhere... if ur back home some things have changed that takes time to get used too again and things like for example not having a walmart or some restaurants would FREAK ME OUT! i need to have walmart close to me LOL! but then again the culture here is just different that i dont seem to get used to! so i feel like i need to choose on my own a place that i can call a home ! and i thought montreal would be ideal although i havent been. it stresses me out so much to live here in the U.S that i cant even get my school work done ( i should be graduating and that makes me sadd!) . so im wondering if it is a good idea and if anyone could help with how to even begin this journey. how is it there? obviously both SC and africa have warm weather so i know its cold but how bad?? i am planning on going to school there any schools that are good? i wnt to do busness management. and also im only a server so could i easily find small jobs like that even like a receptionist wihile im getting my education???? what is there to do? i am an introverted person but i dont mind clubbing and going out once in a while. also being introverted i know its hard to find friends or even dating but im hoping school will help on that side...

oh and im only a U.S green card holder can i even move there and still be able to come back to the U.S to visit? people think i would really fit well in New york city and they want me to stay in the U.S because its "THE BEST AND RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!" but we all know how expensive it is . and its not how rich the place is thats going to make you happy i just want to feel home and i think the fact that montreal speak french would give me that feeling too! but any advice on monving to NYC is very welcome too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM

86 posts, read 401,158 times
Bonjour cupcake22, my first word of advice would be not to jump ahead of yourself and start by visiting Montréal (at the very least) as well as the province of Québec. Preferably in the dead of winter, so you REALLY know what you're getting into.

During the cold season, temperatures ranging anywhere from 0 to -20 degrees and having to shovel snow so you can go anywhere are very commonplace (might even say daily in the dead of the season) hassles to go through. Trust me on this, I've spent 24 years of my life in Québec before I moved out last summer. Not going back soon. The Toronto area is a bit better in that respect, but it's still cold and harsh anyway.

The other big thing to consider would be your legal status in Canada. Holding a U.S. green card does not entitle you to legal residency rights beyond the borders of the United States, i.e. = you can't just move to Canada like that. You have to apply, be accepted by Canada (as well as Québec if you're moving there), and be granted an immigrant visa.

I'm not sure what stresses you out that much in South Carolina, but let me just say that I'd gladly trade places with you any day of the week. It sounds like you haven't researched the Montréal thing that much. I'd really look closer into New York City if I were you (or other points north in the U.S.), as you're much more likely to succeed moving there, and you can actually legally establish residency in any U.S. state tomorrow morning, if you'd like. I can't.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times
ahah LOL salut !! it is just how boring and small SC is ! there is nothing to do! i mean it is so boring that people dont have anything to do but put their nose in your business, and its true here people dont have anything to do that they will be glad to run your life for you!! when i mean "people" (theyre not even family). i have had to tell this old lady off because she was just too much in my business it started with helping me get through since english was a second language but it ended up with her coming to my apartment and telling me how things should be."VERY VERY ANNOYING" i hate that you have to drive to get somewhere i just hate the "small town" deal here. i am planning on going to visit in the winter but i have thought about NYC but its expensive to live there and their winter is pretty bad too right? and i am really interested in the whole french speaking culture in QC. but it has to be either cus there is no way i can stay in SC its just too much to boring, empty i dnt even get how it exists LOL i visited NYC last summer and i cried on my flight back here....people talked about toronto too but i really feel like toronto is another city in america so i want change...
I admitt i havent looked to much into montreal but i did see about the visa thing i just somhow assumed that the green card could help moving there...
how does it work with the visa thing?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
I can definitely relate. I moved to Canada about ten years ago and that's how I feel. You become acclimated with your new country but you never really feel like you belong yet going back to your old country, you never feel like you belong as well because your new home has changed you! Ah well, I call it in-betweeners!

As for Montreal, I second what the previous poster said. If your dilemma with SC is mostly about the environment, why not give another city in the US a try? It would be easier just because you don't have to deal with all the nonsense of getting your visa and all the things you need to move to another country. If however you have your mind set on going to Montreal, just be prepared for the work involved!

From what I know, if you're planning on studying here, you'd apply for a student visa - which basically boils down to you getting an acceptance to one of the schools here (like McGill or Concordia) and having enough money to cover your fees (tuition and living expenses) for a 1+ year.

I don't have experience with this kind of process but I did try to do the opposite once (Canadian trying to study in the US). In that instance, because I was Canadian, I just had to present the acceptance/matriculation letter and Certificate of Finances (showing you can afford all the fees) at the border. While I never got that far, I was told that this is where you'll get the visa (at the border). The key though is making sure you have the finances! I'm assuming it's same process for Americans trying to study in Canada.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-30-2011 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: recomendations not permitted from new members

Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Start the jouney,with your already knowing French your well ahead of the pack. Cmon up
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,542 times
You have lived in the U.S. for 7 years - you need to file your naturalization application immediately and get your U.S. citizenship. Then you can worry about possibly living in other countries, like Canada.

Everyone in your family needs to naturalize as soon as possible. Permanent residents can be deported for a variety of reasons, and can be denied reentry if they leave the country for too long. Don't gamble with your family's unity.

As for location, I would suggest looking at D.C. or New York City, since it sounds like your gripes with the U.S. are more specific to southern culture. Your concerns will probably be addressed by moving to a larger city in the United States. Montreal is a wonderful city but you shouldn't even think about moving there without first being a naturalized U.S. citizen anyway - most Montrealers would LOVE to have the security of knowing they could never be denied entry to the U.S.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
If you're looking for good schools to apply to we have French and English ones. The McGill and Concordia the other poster mentioned are the good English universities in Montreal. In French, there's Universite de Montreal which is the most prestigious, Universite de Quebec a Montreal, Universite de Laval in a suburb of Montreal called Laval, and Universite de Sherbrooke a Longueuil which is in another suburb called Longueuil, but both Universities have easy access to the Metro system so you can get downtown. Check out their websites! I think they encourage international applicants.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 AM

536 posts, read 1,430,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
If you're looking for good schools to apply to we have French and English ones. The McGill and Concordia the other poster mentioned are the good English universities in Montreal. In French, there's Universite de Montreal which is the most prestigious, Universite de Quebec a Montreal, Universite de Laval in a suburb of Montreal called Laval, and Universite de Sherbrooke a Longueuil which is in another suburb called Longueuil, but both Universities have easy access to the Metro system so you can get downtown. Check out their websites! I think they encourage international applicants.
Université de Laval actually is not in Laval but in Ste-Foy, a suburb of Quebec City. U de Sherbrooke is in Sherbrooke, in the Eastern Townships. There's also Bishops University near there, I believe in Lennoxville to be exact.

As far as Mtl, there are 2 English Universities, and 2 French ones. Concordia is good for commerce, journalism/communications, accounting, among others. McGill is primarily renowned for medicine and law. UdeM might be the best overall university in the city, French or English.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM

86 posts, read 401,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
There's also Bishops University near there, I believe in Lennoxville to be exact.
Indeed. Don't forget about Bishop's! I graduated from there last year, and it is in the amalgamated city of Sherbrooke, but in the borough of Lennoxville. Bishop's is a wonderful place to spend four years, and it's unlike any other university in Québec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal