Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It may not anger you as much as other people, but our families built this province's economy and culture just as much as the Francophone ones did, and our language deserves acknowledgement, accommodation and recognition from the provincial government on an equal level as French. This isn't about being unable to understand French. Is it fair to expect all businesses to be bilingual? Not exactly libertarian, but fair, yes. Is it fair, though, to expect English businesses to be French when the reverse isn't expected for French businesses? No. Is it fair that francophone students from any background are allowed to attend public school in French anywhere in Canada, but anglophones in Quebec have to inherit the right? No. I feel no matter how many times I explain that the issues I have are because of double standards, people will always try and claim it's about something else when it's clearly not.
My family IS a bunch of Anglophones from Quebec, but like you, they moved away (hence I was born outside the province).

My point being is that you can complain and whine all you want but you decided to leave, so Quebec doesn't give a rat's butt what you think. You don't pay taxes here anymore. You contribute to declining enrollment in the Anglophone districts and subsequent closures - it's not just the law, it's Anglophones abandoning the province. You aren't opening a business and creating jobs here.

Left = don't care enough to stop any changes being made. Regardless of emotion, that is how it is viewed. The ONLY anglo opinion that counts is the anglo opinion of those who still reside here.

Yes, the laws put a hamper on all those things, but you can cry all you want from behind the Ontario border and the opinion is irrelevant because the ones who have stayed are the ones who are actually voting and contributing to the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I doubt Anglos outside Quebec would dictate what language a stores signage is in but would leave such minutia up to the store manger or franchise owner.
Assuming your premise to be correct the question now is will all those stores posting only French signs now switch to bilingual signs now knowing the Anglo demographic in the neighborhood have expressed displeasure with the practice of unilingual signage?.
My sense is that a lot of them will put up bilingual signs now.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My sense is that a lot of them will put up bilingual signs now.
Makes good business sense. the old saying of "take care of your customers or some one else will" applies.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 PM
pdw

2,676 posts, read 3,098,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My family IS a bunch of Anglophones from Quebec, but like you, they moved away (hence I was born outside the province).

My point being is that you can complain and whine all you want but you decided to leave, so Quebec doesn't give a rat's butt what you think. You don't pay taxes here anymore. You contribute to declining enrollment in the Anglophone districts and subsequent closures - it's not just the law, it's Anglophones abandoning the province. You aren't opening a business and creating jobs here.

Left = don't care enough to stop any changes being made. Regardless of emotion, that is how it is viewed. The ONLY anglo opinion that counts is the anglo opinion of those who still reside here.

Yes, the laws put a hamper on all those things, but you can cry all you want from behind the Ontario border and the opinion is irrelevant because the ones who have stayed are the ones who are actually voting and contributing to the economy.
Harsh

Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
One thing I do remember from 20-25 years is that the Supreme Court struck down the original sign law provisions of Bill 101, which were basically French only.

In its place the "French twice the size" regulations we have today were brought in.

I remember at the time the anglo rights crowd went to see retailers and asked them to make their signs bilingual, and many of them said they'd be keeping them in French only because they thought the probability of the French only rules coming back at one point were high, and they didn't want to constantly be paying to change their signs.

This was some time ago, and we still have the "French twice the size" rules in force at the moment, and my observation is that there are a lot more bilingual signs today than there were at that time.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 PM

544 posts, read 901,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

If Queen Pauline's budget gets defeated and she wins a majority in the election next spring, you are going to need all the help you can get.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
If Queen Pauline's budget gets defeated and she wins a majority in the election next spring, you are going to need all the help you can get.
If Marois and the separatists manage to get a majority i have no doubt that shortly thereafter we'll be having another referendum on the question of Quebec separating from Canada.
If i'm given the question at the ballot box "Should Quebec leave Canada?" I'll vote to give Quebec the nation status it so desperately seems to want.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Was at the Agrignon Mall in Lasalle this afternoon and just for the heck of it i started to look for bilingual signs, looks like we got the same problem Fairview has,if there are any bilingual signs in that mall i couldnt find em..

Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Was at the Agrignon Mall in Lasalle this afternoon and just for the heck of it i started to look for bilingual signs, looks like we got the same problem Fairview has,if there are any bilingual signs in that mall i couldnt find em..
I return to Montreal 2-3 times a year, so I see the city in small bursts. My observation is different from Acajack. Montreal is more French than ever and becomes more so with every year.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
If Marois and the separatists manage to get a majority i have no doubt that shortly thereafter we'll be having another referendum on the question of Quebec separating from Canada.
If i'm given the question at the ballot box "Should Quebec leave Canada?" I'll vote to give Quebec the nation status it so desperately seems to want.
Hahaha. The question won't be that straightforward. Remember the question on the 1995 ballot:

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?."

Looking back, it was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal