Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,853 times

Advertisements

HI,

I am French and my husband is English who understand a little bit of French but doesn't speak much. We would love to ask for a permanent residency in Québec and settle down in Montréal, but he is worried about finding a job over there. Is there any area of Montréal more English friendly than other? I am also trying to convince him that he will catch French quickly. Is anybody in the same situation?
thanks for any tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
The western part of the island of Montreal tends to be where most Anglos live however its not by any means all Anglo,
While visiting Montreal Anglos can get by very well ,working is something else and can be difficult for the unilingual Anglophone as most jobs require French or bilingual applicants and any employer with 50 or more employees French in the work place is the law.
You might want to familiarize yourself with Quebecs Charter of the French Language
Charter of the French language
And get your husband up to speed on learning French.
Good luck..

Immigration-Québec - Home Page

If a plan=B is required you might consider Ottawa,Kingston or Toronto

Old 11-16-2013, 04:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
If your husband is English (as in from England), he will qualify for free quality French classes. I suggest taking advantage of it! What field does he work in? French is pretty essential for all jobs except some call centres (there are nicer jobs but those are generally transfers within corporations).

I would suggest planning for 1-3 years of him being unable to work (while he upgrades his French fluency) and going from there. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:33 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
My husband came here from Ontario in the early '80s and managed to find work despite the fact that he knew very little French. He worked at a snack food company (his second job in Quebec) for twenty-one years and then took an early retirement.

He now understands French and can speak "franglais" or "frenglish".

He worked as a general labourer and made quite a decent salary.

I know of a few anglos who have managed to find work, though it's true that it's best to learn French in Quebec.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
My husband came here from Ontario in the early '80s and managed to find work despite the fact that he knew very little French. He worked at a snack food company (his second job in Quebec) for twenty-one years and then took an early retirement.

I know of a few anglos who have managed to find work, though it's true that it's best to learn French in Quebec.
Sounds like my scenario, i came to Quebec in the mid 70's knowing no French after a couple of years landed a job at the Elmhurst Dairy on Montreal West, 30+ years later i'm happily retired and can converse in French, however that was then,i doubt very much as a unilingual Anglo i would have that same opportunity today as much has changed over the last 30 years...

Old 11-16-2013, 12:57 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like my scenario, i came to Quebec in the mid 70's knowing no French after a couple of years landed a job at the Elmhurst Dairy on Montreal West, 30+ years later i'm happily retired and can converse in French, however that was then,i doubt very much as a unilingual Anglo i would have that same opportunity today as much has changed over the last 30 years...
Wow! Great stuffs, guys.

This is not a complete list. However, it does offer the OP a glimpse of companies established on the West Island of Montreal.
https://ccoim.ca/en/membreship/repertoire_membres.php

Old 11-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Times have changed a lot since the 80's, that's for sure.

I only know of one unilingual Anglophone here who is working outside a crappy call-centre, and that's because she teaches at one of the English colleges with a PhD. Truthfully, options are severely limited these days. There are certain fields which may permit it, but you are at a disadvantage, of course.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Times have changed a lot since the 80's, that's for sure.

I only know of one unilingual Anglophone here who is working outside a crappy call-centre, and that's because she teaches at one of the English colleges with a PhD. Truthfully, options are severely limited these days. There are certain fields which may permit it, but you are at a disadvantage, of course.
Sad when you see that unilingualism for francophones is essentially being encouraged by the provincial government.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Sad when you see that unilingualism for francophones is essentially being encouraged by the provincial government.
Unilingual?

No, not at all. Not sure if you are reading it much over there in Ontario, but many francophone children are in bilingual immersion by age 11 now here. The government would like to expand this to all of them. I don't know many unilingual French who can get jobs in Montreal. Nearly all job advertisements demand bilingualism or at least anglais fonctionnel.

I am an ESL teacher here and job demand for me has never been better!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Unilingual?

No, not at all. Not sure if you are reading it much over there in Ontario, but many francophone children are in bilingual immersion by age 11 now here. The government would like to expand this to all of them. I don't know many unilingual French who can get jobs in Montreal. Nearly all job advertisements demand bilingualism or at least anglais fonctionnel.

I am an ESL teacher here and job demand for me has never been better!
True, about 2/3rds of Francophones say they're bilingual, and in my experience I've tended to meet more older unilingual Francohpones rather then younger ones. But, despite this being the case, with the job market demanding bilingualism and individuals choosing to learn English, it is the truth that the government itself does discourage the learning of English through various policies, even if people ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal