Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

AJ you ever think that the Anglophone culture in Quebec is every bit as proud and patriotic about their culture as Francophones are of theirs, you ever think from the Anglo perspective its rather rude,insulting and intolerant to have some one come along and tell you you cant post your language anywhere it can be seen,you cant speak your language at the work place, many of the towns and streets that used to be English names have now been renamed French,all the while watching a separatist government trying its best to rid Quebec of the Anglo culture and presence entirely, along with an entire enforcement arm of the government called the OQLF (read language police) that make sure you comply with all these anti English laws right down to the minutia of saying words like Pasta.
AJ in todays day and age theres nothing even remotely similar being perpetrated on the French culture in the ROC or anywhere else in the world.
That last line shows precisely the gross lack of perspective that has cost the Anglo-Quebec community a lot of its "natural" support outside of Quebec and even outside Canada in recent decades.

It's the type of debate where the language on store signs is shamelessly equated with violent genocide and cholera-infested refugee camps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That last line shows precisely the gross lack of perspective that has cost the Anglo-Quebec community a lot of its "natural" support outside of Quebec and even outside Canada in recent decades.

It's the type of debate where the language on store signs is shamelessly equated with violent genocide and cholera-infested refugee camps.
Where exactly did you get this from his post?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Where exactly did you get this from his post?
I was saying that his commments about "nothing similar in the world being perpetrated" (obviously insinuating an unequalled level of gravity) is typical of the hyperbole often used by some Anglo-Quebecers, and where the debate often goes.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
I was saying that his commments about "nothing similar in the world being perpetrated" (obviously insinuating an unequalled level of gravity) is typical of the hyperbole often used by some Anglo-Quebecers, and where the debate often goes.
I wasnt looking at it as hyperbole i was looking at it as fact.

I would have thought with your constantly telling us how the French were oppressed by the Anglo oppressors to the point of a riding in the back of the bus mentality youd more understand how Anglos feel about the Quebec government doing everything it can to eliminate their entire demographic from Quebec,
AJ i;m sure you can tell us all about the injustices that have been perpetrated on the Francophone in the past but do we really need to keep a score card mentality in this day and age with the idea the English did this or that to the French back in 1812 so we are justified in returning the favor to the English in 2013?.
From my Anglo perspective Quebec is mostly all French , you;ve won,Quebec is all yours with a handfull of minorities scattered here and there mostly relegated to the Montreal area.,further bashing of Anglos and minorities will not incur prosperity as less and less people want to stay here or come here, rather than prop up your culture by eliminating all others it would be a wiser move to loudly praise the Quebec Culture/mosaic for all its positives and accomplishments and embrace all comers, we can start by trashing Bill101..

Last edited by jambo101; 06-19-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
.,further bashing of Anglos and minorities will not incur prosperity as less and less people want to stay here or come here, rather than prop up your culture by eliminating all others it would be a wiser move to loudly praise the Quebec Culture/mosaic for all its positives and accomplishments and embrace all comers, we can start by trashing Bill101..
Not everyone views things through the Anglo-Quebecers' rights prism.

Quebec at the moment gets more immigrants in total numbers than any other province except Ontario.

Relative to population, Quebec takes in more immigrants that the good old United States of America.

In an average year, Quebec takes in more immigrants in sheer numbers than most US states with a comparable or slightly higher population (VA, PA, OH, MI, IL, GA, NC). It also takes in as many immigrants as New York, which has double Quebec's population (just under 50,000 for each).

Still relative to population, Quebec takes in more immigrants than the immigrant boom states of CA, FL and TX.

While some subgroups like anglophones and English-oriented immigrants (especially those who don't know any French) have high departure rates, overall Quebec holds onto its population in a higher proportion than any other Canadian province.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM

60 posts, read 83,990 times
A lot of people in Québec and the ROC would like to look at this whole language issue from one side, without trying to put themselves in the other person's shoes.

The rest of Canada doesn't have problems with French? Look at what's hapenning in Cornwall. The hospital there decided to only hire bilingual workers, and now unilingual anglos are complaining about not being able to get jobs. Cornwall is a desginated bilingual zone in Ontario and around 30% of the popualtion have French as their mother tongue, which is a bit higher than the mother tongue rate of anglophones on the island of Montréal. Yet unilingual anglos complain about being discriminated against, whether they're the majority or minority.

http://cornwallfreenews.com/2012/02/...ruary-22-2012/

I born and raised in Montréal, in the West Island, a son of immigrants from an ethnic group that leans more towards English than French. Due to Bill 101, I went to French elementary and secondary school, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Despite that, I am more comfortable in English than French. But I am not someone who "needs" to always get service in English wherever I go. I used to work in Eastern Ontario for 3 years (I commuted from my house in Québec one hour each way) and people simply could not understand that at my former job, I had to speak French 80%-90% of my day. They were like "What do you mean?".

As far as the ROC not having regulations in place to preserve their language, it's because there isn't a need to. If Bill 101 was not in place in Québec, Montreal would be all English speaking by now.

Bill 101 has done it's job ensuring the survival of French, however there are many aspects to it that should be eliminated (like forcing people to use French software) or the over-zealousness of the "language police".

Second of all, just as the rest of Canada must realize Québec is "different", Québec must also realize that Montreal is "different" as well. Outside of Montreal and Gatineau, the French language is under NO danger at all. But the PQ governement likes to group everyone together and use the data in a way that skews the results. English is and was always a big part of Montreal, and if the hard liners don't accept this, it will come back to bite them in the ass. But Montreal cannot be allowed to turn into an Ottawa.

Last edited by goldeneyed; 06-19-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
. Cornwall is a desginated bilingual zone in Ontario and around 30% of the popualtion have French as their mother tongue, a bit higher than the rate on the island of Montréal. .

I think you mean that the % of francophones in Cornwall is slightly higher than the % of anglophones on the island of Montreal.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM

60 posts, read 83,990 times
Quote:
I think you mean that the % of francophones in Cornwall is slightly higher than the % of anglophones on the island of Montreal.
Thanks, I edited my post to fix the mistake, I wrote my rant too quickly.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
Thanks, I edited my post to fix the mistake, I wrote my rant too quickly.
It wasn't a rant - it was a good post.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
Quote:
And of course it could never be said that the strident emoting of "the Anglais are attacking our culture" (with the characteristic shaking of jowl, Parizeau type of bombasity) has never been uttered by anyone within Quebec to describe some happenstance of purely evolutionary nature either inside Quebec or the ROC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal