Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Sorry, I got Le Journal and La Presse mixed up. It's Le Journal I don't trust. I have a lot of respect for La Presse, but I don't really read French newspapers as you would imagine.
Why would I imagine that you don't read French-language newspapers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
Because I'm an anglophone and have English options to choose from instead. I hope some new French newspapers start up in Ontario. I'm sure they could sell well if marketed properly.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Because I'm an anglophone and have English options to choose from instead. I hope some new French newspapers start up in Ontario. I'm sure they could sell well if marketed properly.
I am a francophone and have tons of French options for newspapers, and read English newspapers anyway.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Does you reading in English threaten your francophonic culture?

Explain why English signs need to be smaller than French, then.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Does you reading in English threaten your francophonic culture?

Explain why English signs need to be smaller than French, then.
And the French Font has to be on top..
These days its the copyrighted logos of the big American retailers thats driving Marois and her separatists nuts..
Quebec language police crack down on retailers with English-only signs | News | National Post

Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM

"Les magasins" what a helpful prefix .
Certainly couldn't figure that out without the descriptor.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
"Les magasins" what a helpful prefix .
Certainly couldn't figure that out without the descriptor.
Its not so much about the language in this case but more to do with the Separatist governments power trip to make every one subservient to their Quebecois masters..
Didnt go over too well recently with the soccer federation.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...280/story.html

A few weeks later
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ouncement.html

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 AM

304 posts, read 1,426,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its not so much about the language in this case but more to do with the Separatist governments power trip to make every one subservient to their Quebecois masters..
Didnt go over too well recently with the soccer federation.
Outrage grows over Quebec turban soccer ban

A few weeks later
Quebec Soccer Federation reverses turban ban - Montreal - CBC News
You're going to use the Calgary Herald and the CBC as sources? lol! They thrive on turmoil in Quebec. It makes them feel good about whatever inadequacies they have.

Listen: There are a thousand places that you can live in this world. Very few of them appreciate when you impose your values upon them. Canada may be an exception as it is a country without any culture of its own. You can apply for 'Multiculturalism' funding in lieu of any 'American TV watching' funding - which is our real, Canadian culture.

If you don't like Quebec then fine.. go somewhere else! It's so ****ing easy. You have the rest of the world to chose from. Why is it so important for Quebec to conform to the Borg mentality of 'YOU MUST BE ASSDIMiLALTED' We must speak english everywhere!

If you just want to speak only english then fine.. there is no shortage of places in North America that you can go to. Why are you are you bitching about the one place that dares to be different?

Jealous maybe?

Deal with your own problems, losers.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM

You do realise that part of Quebec's population has been speaking English for 250 years, right? You do realise that the majority of anglophones are bilingual, right? You do realise that Bill 101 was created to assimiliate us, right?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
You're going to use the Calgary Herald and the CBC as sources? lol! They thrive on turmoil in Quebec. It makes them feel good about whatever inadequacies they have.

Listen: There are a thousand places that you can live in this world. Very few of them appreciate when you impose your values upon them. Canada may be an exception as it is a country without any culture of its own. You can apply for 'Multiculturalism' funding in lieu of any 'American TV watching' funding - which is our real, Canadian culture.

If you don't like Quebec then fine.. go somewhere else! It's so ****ing easy. You have the rest of the world to chose from. Why is it so important for Quebec to conform to the Borg mentality of 'YOU MUST BE ASSDIMiLALTED' We must speak english everywhere!

If you just want to speak only english then fine.. there is no shortage of places in North America that you can go to. Why are you are you bitching about the one place that dares to be different?

Jealous maybe?

Deal with your own problems, losers.
I prefer to read and post links to papers and resources that actually acknowledge theres a curtailment of linguistic human rights here in Quebec rather than local Francophone papers that have no clue theres a problem here.
As for just moving somewhere else? Quebec is my home and me and my Anglo culture have as much right to be here as any Francophone, having a separatist government that would like to leave my country with a sizable chunk of its real estate and the ongoing attempt at linguistic genocide of the English language and culture is something i feel should be aired vigorously and not something one runs away from.
As for your misguided notion that we just want to speak English? my whole family is bilingual,probably 80% of our outside communication is in French so we have no problem integrating into the predominantly French demographic so who is imposing who's values upon who?,the only problem we have is with people and governments trying their best to eliminate our culture and then calling us a bunch of losers and to go elsewhere if we dont like living here..Yeah right
Happy Canada day eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal