Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

304 posts, read 1,426,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
So an immigrant kid from Jamaica or the UK (anglophones) should be forced into a French school?
Go to Vigile.net. This is an English forum. If you hate us so much why do you come here?
Who is forcing these poor Brits and Jamaicans to move to Quebec? Why don't they move to Ontario instead? I take it they can chose to ignore any local law that they disagree with there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
English are part of Quebec's society and English deserves the same rights that French has. There is no reasonable argument against this. "350 millions d'anglos" is not a reasonable argument, by the way.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
OP, that's like you telling me that Puerto Rico should have every little thing in Spanish only. Why? That's disadvantageous, and insulting, so you can feel like you're going to Latin America without leaving the US. Québec has the right to speak French, but as someone who is from a similar situation as the Québécois are, being forced to being monolingual is not a good situation to put yourself in this globalized world. Those who are not Anglophone that are monolingual get left behind in the corporate world and other white collar settings.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
perhaps tainted by a community undercurrent that thinks that English is just a temporary inconvenience that will simply go away with time.

That is exactly how the separatists see it.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Great logic you have there: A bilingual country should have one of the most radically unilingual governments in the world as one of its subdivisions.
I can't believe that people still buy into the nonsense that "Canada is a bilingual country". Unless you hang out exclusively in government offices and wait for for them to dig up the designated bilingual person, Canada is not bilingual at all. You're pretty much out of luck during weekends and holidays.

The rate for bilingual anglophones outside of Quebec is 6%, 87% for francophones.

Quebec is the only province where bilingualism is on the rise, everywhere else it's declining. In Quebec, the rate is 43% overall - 38% francophones and 61% anglophones are bilingual. These numbers rise to over 70% for young anglophones and over 50% for young francophones (age 24 and under). One would imagine that the numbers in Montreal are much higher across all groups.

Put the fantasy to rest. The subdivision with "one of the most radically unilingual governments in the world" is also the most bilingual - and by a huge and increasing margin.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-006-.../11795-eng.pdf

Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
perhaps tainted by a community undercurrent that thinks that English is just a temporary inconvenience that will simply go away with time.

That is exactly how the separatists see it.
What does it matter to you and all the thousands like you who feel compelled to toss in their two-bit opinion every time the word "Quebec" come up in an online article? I've never understood it. Nobody here gives two flyings what you do in Southern Ontario (not that much of note ever occurs there).

It always fascinates me that people care so much when it doesn't affect them at all.

It reminds me of this, the only response to an article regarding "What to do in Montreal this weekend". This guy from Edmonton feels so obligated to take a few shots that he just HAD to post something, somewhere.. ANYWHERE! It must be awfully boring in Edmonton.

Pierre's picks: 5 don't-miss events in Montreal this weekend
CBC News Posted: May 10, 2013 5:11 PM ET Last Updated: May 10, 2013 5:09 PM ET
Read 1
comments

RayBarboni
2013/05/10
at 11:45 PM ET
Has anybody else noticed how difficult it has become to comment on stories from Québec? I wonder why that is? Bain, Marois, language cops, transfer payments, ... etc. The only juristiction I can think of that is anywhere near as dysfunctional is Florida, and I wouldn't be too proud of that.
Rating
Agree with comment (
thumbs up)

Disagree with comment (
thumbs down)

Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,237,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
What does it matter to you and all the thousands like you who feel compelled to toss in their two-bit opinion every time the word "Quebec" come up in an online article? I've never understood it.
I am an anglophone living in Quebec myself (outside Montreal, in a 99% francophone community where all but one of my neighbours is unilingual francophone) and I have to say my reality is far better than what people seem to think it is for "us". Granted, I can speak some French. I couldn't speak a word two years ago. Who the heck wants to live in a country where they can't speak the dominant language? I have friends teaching English in Japan and you better believe they need to learn some Japanese.... Can I get a job as a unilingual anglophone? No. Could a unilingual francophone get a job back out west? Good luck with that.

The separatists exist, yes, they are loud as hell but they are not representative of the people here. The PQ was not elected because the people wanted separatism, they were elected people people were tired of the Liberals. It was the lesser of two evils because nobody thinks a smaller 3rd/4th party will win anyways. Anyone else went to a polling station here in a francophone-only area? I did... and that was the reason.

I don't know what is worse, the real separatists or those who aren't here who think "we" are so much more persecuted than we really are.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,864,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Why are road signs outside of New Brunswick not bilingual? I know in Ottawa and some federal highways are, but what about the rest? Why can't most Canadians speak English and French just like how most Scandinavians can speak English?
Almost all road signs in Ontario are bilingual, with the exception of the stop sign and a few others. I think it's the same in other provinces.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,864,121 times
Quote:
I can't believe that people still buy into the nonsense that "Canada is a bilingual country". Unless you hang out exclusively in government offices and wait for for them to dig up the designated bilingual person, Canada is not bilingual at all. You're pretty much out of luck during weekends and holidays.

The rate for bilingual anglophones outside of Quebec is 6%, 87% for francophones.

Quebec is the only province where bilingualism is on the rise, everywhere else it's declining. In Quebec, the rate is 43% overall - 38% francophones and 61% anglophones are bilingual. These numbers rise to over 70% for young anglophones and over 50% for young francophones (age 24 and under). One would imagine that the numbers in Montreal are much higher across all groups.

Put the fantasy to rest. The subdivision with "one of the most radically unilingual governments in the world" is also the most bilingual - and by a huge and increasing margin.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-006-.../11795-eng.pdf
It is a bilingual country in the sense that there are two official languages. I believe that is the global definition of a bilingual country. Do you think you need 100% of the citizens to speak both languages for it to be truly bilingual, because I don't know if such a country exists?

Also, in all Canadian schools, French is a required subject typically from grade 3 to grade 10, and French immersion schools are found nationwide. Is it the same with English in Quebec schools?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM

870 posts, read 1,126,675 times
Quote:
What does it matter to you and all the thousands like you who feel compelled to toss in their two-bit opinion every time the word "Quebec" come up in an online article? I've never understood it. Nobody here gives two flyings what you do in Southern Ontario (not that much of note ever occurs there).

It always fascinates me that people care so much when it doesn't affect them at all.

It reminds me of this, the only response to an article regarding "What to do in Montreal this weekend". This guy from Edmonton feels so obligated to take a few shots that he just HAD to post something, somewhere.. ANYWHERE! It must be awfully boring in Edmonton.

Pierre's picks: 5 don't-miss events in Montreal this weekend
CBC News Posted: May 10, 2013 5:11 PM ET Last Updated: May 10, 2013 5:09 PM ET
Read 1
comments

RayBarboni
2013/05/10
at 11:45 PM ET
Has anybody else noticed how difficult it has become to comment on stories from Québec? I wonder why that is? Bain, Marois, language cops, transfer payments, ... etc. The only juristiction I can think of that is anywhere near as dysfunctional is Florida, and I wouldn't be too proud of that.
Rating
Agree with comment (
thumbs up)

Disagree with comment (
thumbs down)
I think you are dead right, Quebec doesnt affect us much any longer_ notice how the Torys managed to achieve a majority with virtually no support from Québec.

Ever since the '60s and the FLQ bombings and then the PQ and those language laws your province has steadily lost demographic and economic weight while indebtedness and the public sector have increased exponentially.

Quebec is becoming more and more irrelevant to the ROC each day.

Enjoy the slide and Vive le Quebecois libre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal