Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,429 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There is already a thread discussing issues with French immigration to Quebec. However, with the never-ending posts about the intents of Americans to move to Quebec, I always wondered if there is any tally of immigrants from the US who are of French background. There are more that 13 Million French-Americans in the United States according to Wikipedia. Historically, the trend has been the opposite for various reasons, but mostly economic. Does the government of Quebec provide any incentives for anyone with French heritage who is willing to settle in the province, of course with certain requirements like a minimum number of years to live, knowledge of French, education, qualifications, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Living in Quebec, over the years I have met a few people whose parents were "Franco-Americans". But there is not real concerted effort and there is no special treatment just because they might be of French Canadian origin. So a Franco-American who wanted to move to Quebec would have to go through the same process as everyone else. And the fact that their name is Tremblay rather than Smith would not necessarily increase their chances of getting accepted. Probably someone named Smith who learned French for kicks would score higher than someone named Tremblay who spoke no French. (My experience has been that most Franco-Americans speak little or no French.)

Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,429 times
I believe the Government of Quebec should encourage French-Americans, especially the descendants of Acadians in Louisiana to reunite with their cousins north of the border. I assume a lot of them have preserved their identity and language despite the century-long oppressions and forceful assimilation. I understand there are significant cultural differences and potential hard time adjusting to the harsh climate after living in hot swamps year round, however, the more favorable economic prospects and a sense of reconnection should make up for that. Here is an alternate/diversified immigration source versus just Haiti, Southeast Asia, and northern/central Africa. The fact that they might not speak French should not be a grounds for rejection, because their kids will.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersSvensson View Post
I believe the Government of Quebec should encourage French-Americans, especially the descendants of Acadians in Louisiana to reunite with their cousins north of the border. I assume a lot of them have preserved their identity and language despite the century-long oppressions and forceful assimilation. I understand there are significant cultural differences and potential hard time adjusting to the harsh climate after living in hot swamps year round, however, the more favorable economic prospects and a sense of reconnection should make up for that. Here is an alternate/diversified immigration source versus just Haiti, Southeast Asia, and northern/central Africa. The fact that they might not speak French should not be a grounds for rejection, because their kids will.
Not knowing French won't necessarily get you rejected for admission to Quebec, but you will get less points in that category than someone who does.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,863,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersSvensson View Post
I always wondered if there is any tally of immigrants from the US who are of French background. There are more that 13 Million French-Americans in the United States according to Wikipedia.
Unfortunately, the numbers won't be significant to warrant a statistical study. However, they do plan in advance how many they intent to bring in from the various regions/countries, based on previous arrivals.

Table 4 - 2011 Immigration Plan for Quebec
from the various regions: Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe = Total
skilled workers category: Americas - min. 5,620, max. 5,750
business entrepreneurs: Americas - min.50, max. 50
other economic categories: Americas - min. 40, max. 60
family reunion: Americas - min.3,730, max.3,890
refugees (abroad)
refugees (on site)
others ...

Quote:
Historically, the trend has been the opposite for various reasons, but mostly economic. Does the government of Quebec provide any incentives for anyone with French heritage who is willing to settle in the province, of course with certain requirements like a minimum number of years to live, knowledge of French, education, qualifications, etc.
Not that I'm aware of. However, all newcomers have access to free french lessons. And if they qualify, they can apply for an L&B to complete a trade / professional diplomas. I have posted the links in response to another poster.

From the moment you submit your application, the paper process will take up to 2 years, more or less. Therefore you and your family have ample time to start learning French now. Applicants will be tested on their knowledge of French, both oral comprehension & oral expression.

Table 3, last line item, "Proportion of immigrants with knowledge of French" is as high as 65%. Those without French are likely to be under business/investor & family categories.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal