Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,237,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Why are road signs outside of New Brunswick not bilingual? I know in Ottawa and some federal highways are, but what about the rest? Why can't most Canadians speak English and French just like how most Scandinavians can speak English?
What the.... are you kidding me??? You must be a troll. You go to Alberta or the Yukon with that comment and let's see how many people laugh at you Those are some very interesting expectations from someone who doesn't know a darn thing about a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
I love Quebec just the way it is. It seems to me like you like Quebec ONTVisit so why do you want to change it? Supporting laws like Bill 101 is trying to change Quebec into something else. Quebec without the English is not Quebec.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM

230 posts, read 536,432 times
Just to bring some balance to the discussion:

"The Anglo-Canadians treated French speaking Quebecois like second-class crap for much of history, so I get it, I’d be pissed too, I’d want my own thing and when I got it I’d want to make sure there’s no backsliding to the bad old days... No matter how you feel about Quebec as either separate from or as an essential part of greater Canada, any reasonable person loves this place." - Anthony Bourdain

Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
Just to bring some balance to the discussion:

"The Anglo-Canadians treated French speaking Quebecois like second-class crap for much of history, so I get it, I’d be pissed too, I’d want my own thing and when I got it I’d want to make sure there’s no backsliding to the bad old days... No matter how you feel about Quebec as either separate from or as an essential part of greater Canada, any reasonable person loves this place." - Anthony Bourdain
Seps want revenge even though half of them weren't even alive in those days. Two wrongs don't make a right

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Care to clarify? As so far I have easily struck down each and every argument you, Acajack and ONTVisit have presented.
In your own mind, anyway...

Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm taking this as that you're speaking from experience. Right?
I can also speak from experience as I lived as a francophone outside Quebec (including in Ontario) for most of my life.

You will fare much better in English in Montreal than you will in French in Ottawa, Cornwall, Sudbury, Timmins or even Moncton.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I'm sure if I go to cities like Sudbury or Ottawa (which have a similar percentage of francophones as Montreal does anglophones), I'd be able to easily get French services. I'll bet it would be just as difficult to get English services in Chicoutimi as it would be to get French services in Toronto. Contrary to popular belief, only two provinces in Canada have designated official languages, Quebec and New Brunswick. New Brunswick being English-French bilingual and Quebec being unilingually French. All other 8 provinces are de facto bilingual.
No - all of the other provinces are de facto English only.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Nope. Unless you're willing to wait while they go fetch THE francophone of the office - and it will usually not be done with a smile... Very different from public services in Montreal where the vast majority of employees will try to accommodate you in whichever language you decide to use.
Exactly my experience living for over 25 years in the ''rest of Canada''.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Francophones are guaranteed the right to education in French. Whether you're an immigrant or not, if your first language is French, you are permitted to go to a publically funded French school. These french-language schools exist across Canada.
The public school attendance rules are almost exactly the same for French schools outside Quebec as English schools inside Quebec. The main difference is that the responsibility for managing this in Ontario is devolved to school boards whereas in Quebec is the Ministry of Education that takes care of it.

It is true that some Ontario francophone school boards may be looser in their application of the rules but this is allowed by the province because only a small number of immigrant kids end up going to French schools. Rest assured that if the majority of immigrant kids in Toronto or Ottawa opted for French schools (like the majority of immigrant kids went to English school in Quebec prior to 1977 - it was actually 85%!) that the province of Ontario would apply the rules much more stringently.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The public school attendance rules are almost exactly the same for French schools outside Quebec as English schools inside Quebec. The main difference is that the responsibility for managing this in Ontario is devolved to school boards whereas in Quebec is the Ministry of Education that takes care of it.

It is true that some Ontario francophone school boards may be looser in their application of the rules but this is allowed by the province because only a small number of immigrant kids end up going to French schools. Rest assured that if the majority of immigrant kids in Toronto or Ottawa opted for French schools (like the majority of immigrant kids went to English school in Quebec prior to 1977 - it was actually 85%!) that the province of Ontario would apply the rules much more stringently.
No province bans francophone immigrants from attending school in French. Anways, your misinformed about the school boards and their responsibilities as well. Students who live in a school district without a French school are sent to French schools in other boards, including children with immigrant parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal