Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Am I the only English-speaking North American who strongly supports Quebec being ONLY French-speaking? I do not speak French at all, but I love visiting Quebec and seeing only French signs. I dislike seeing English signs even though I speak the language. French is the major part why many of us love visiting Quebec because we get a taste of France in North America! If it becomes bilingual, then it would suck and French will be in decline and Quebec would become like rest of Canada and North America.

Please support ONLY French in Quebec and increase bilingualism in rest of Canada. Let Quebec be unique and charming.
You're kidding, right? I DO speak French and the thought of a tourist telling me to support a French-only Quebec is beyond absurd. You want to come up here once a year and get the warm fuzzies, pretending you're in France, but you have no idea what you're talking about.
Silliest thing I've ever heard. Sure, we should turn ourselves inside out to please an American tourist. I don't think so. There was a bistro here recently which got into trouble because the ON-OFF switch of the hot water tank in the kitchen was in English. This BS is causing untold misery, money, ill-feeling, divisiveness and headaches for everyone. You have no say in it because you want to feel like you're in Europe once in a while. Unbelievable.
You want France? Go to France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM

I don't know which city you're from, OP, but I want it to become completely Spanish-speaking, because when I visit, I want to feel like I'm in charming Barcelona. I want all the street signs, menus, signage and services to be in Spanish only.
You OK with that?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I don't know which city you're from, OP, but I want it to become completely Spanish-speaking, because when I visit, I want to feel like I'm in charming Barcelona. I want all the street signs, menus, signage and services to be in Spanish only.
You OK with that?
LMAO There already are neighborhoods in the states like that. Though They look more like Mexico then Barcelona.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LMAO There already are neighborhoods in the states like that. Though They look more like Mexico then Barcelona.
I want everything to be ONLY in Spanish, including the street signs. You didn't answer the question. You OK with a Canadian demanding that because I want to feel like I'm in an exotic locale, but too cheap to shell out for a proper vacation?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Apparently we're an amusement park attraction now! It's like walking from theme area to theme area in Disneyworld. Welcome to It's a Small.... oh wait, La Belle Province.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
I love the melodic offerings of whatever that language it is they're sing-songing in Dearborn Mi. Can we tourists insist on you making whatever that is the official Dearbornian language? I think it's so charming and would dearly love to enjoy my triple mocha vanilla latte while listening to a foreign language emanating from speakers calling all for noon prayer and evening prayer and .......just ask'n.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM

I want the entire state of Pennsylvania to become fundamentalist Amish. I want you to get rid of all the cars and use horse-drawn buggies. I want all electricity to be forbidden, the men not to cut their beards, and all the women to wear those long black dresses and little white bonnets. It's charming and it would please me as a tourist.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Am I the only English-speaking North American who strongly supports Quebec being ONLY French-speaking? I do not speak French at all, but I love visiting Quebec and seeing only French signs. I dislike seeing English signs even though I speak the language. French is the major part why many of us love visiting Quebec because we get a taste of France in North America! If it becomes bilingual, then it would suck and French will be in decline and Quebec would become like rest of Canada and North America.

Please support ONLY French in Quebec and increase bilingualism in rest of Canada. Let Quebec be unique and charming.
You see alot of English signs in France.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
Seeing Spanish in Barcelona is probably just as rare as seeing English in Montreal. I'm not positive but I thought there were Catalan nationalist governments who put similar laws in place in Catalonia outlawing Castillian (just "Spanish" outside of Europe) Spanish. These anti-language nutcases are all over the place. It's a shame that practising this kind of insanity isn't frowned upon.

Most Anglos in Quebec probably wouldn't care if all signs were forced to be bilingual, but the fact that French is the only language required and it has to be double the size is implying it's the superior language, and the contribution of English-speakers, which include most of Montreal and even Quebec City, are irrelevant. The contributions of these anglos, by the way, include "Vieux Montréal" and "Vieux Québec", where in actuality British Georgian and Victorian rather than French colonial architecture predominate, even on the most historic and touristy streets that American tourists love visiting so much.

The laws banning immigrant children from schools can be described as nothing other than racial assimilation, without question.

You can promote "threatened" languages without trying to get rid of others.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I want the entire state of Pennsylvania to become fundamentalist Amish. I want you to get rid of all the cars and use horse-drawn buggies. I want all electricity to be forbidden, the men not to cut their beards, and all the women to wear those long black dresses and little white bonnets. It's charming and it would please me as a tourist.
I'm trying to picture Steelers fans on horse-drawn buggies... does not compute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal