Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 AM

108 posts, read 274,256 times

Advertisements

Hey, Everyone

Well, my mom and myself want to move to Canada because America isn't what it used to be and we are thinking about Montreal so any information about Montreal will help?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,890 times
Have you tried searching the Internet for information, then perhaps posting any specific questions that you can't find answers for on this forum?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

178 posts, read 524,025 times
I want to move to Portland, haha.. Want to switch places!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Here are the basics:

- It is a fairly big city, and feels about the same size as cities like Detroit, Boston and Phoenix

- It is very cold and snowy in the winter, but surprisingly hot in the summer

- It is rich like most of the "first world" (US, Europe, Japan, Australia, etc.), but there are fewer really rich people than in the US, but fewer really poor people as well

- Taxes are higher, and most things are more expensive; there are more "free" or low-cost public services than in the States

- The main language is French, though many people also speak English

- As an American, you will really feel like you are in a foreign country (much moreso than in the other large cities of Canada)

- There are many, many things to do. All year-round, though summer is especially fun

- It is not really like Europe, but not really like the US either. Sort of in-between the two.

- Crime rate is low.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM

108 posts, read 274,256 times
I'm trying to figure out what is the best or close to it in Canada, I also like Toronto but I'm told that people there are rude when it comes to making new friends.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari616 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what is the best or close to it in Canada, I also like Toronto but I'm told that people there are rude when it comes to making new friends.
There are a lot of people in Montreal who aren't too friendly either. Especially if they feel you aren't making an effort to speak at least a little bit of French.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
If you are going to be looking for a job in Montreal your presumed lack of French may be a handicap.

I wouldnt judge Toronto by what you may have heard one person say, Toronto is a great place with mostly nice people.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,857,811 times
Quote:
Toronto is what YOU make of it. Don't trust what sheltered and self-centered people have to say. Experience it first hand yourself before you start assuming. Montreal's a great place though, you're making no mistake there. Hopefully you're fluent in French though!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM

109 posts, read 312,447 times
Quote:
Hey, Everyone

Well, my mom and myself want to move to Canada because America isn't what it used to be and we are thinking about Montreal so any information about Montreal will help?

Thank you in advance.
Hi,
Just to advise you , Moving to Canada takes planning and you have to apply for permanent residency. Check Out Citizenship Immigration Canada website for the particulars. There is a scoring system that they use.

If your Mother was born in Canada, she is a Canadian and so are you . You are Canadian by descent.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 PM

281 posts, read 928,959 times
I've never been to Montreal or Toronto, but my experience in western Canada is the country is indescribably beautiful, crime is minimal, and the people are very friendly and open. I have Canadian friends who live here and all of them are wonderful people.

Have you considered Vancouver? Vancouver is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. If I could swing it, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I was born in San Francisco and live near Chicago now, so I have fairly high standards for cities. Vancouver is the one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal