Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Foreign students are a convient cash cow for the universities. That is the main reason for the recruitment efforts by the universities.
I suspected this was going on as well, but if publicly-funded universities are shutting out too many potential students from their own province (their primary mission as public institutions) in order to rake in extra cash from foreign ones, I would say there is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,144,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Mamma View Post
Indeed. Wow. I didn't suggest sending anybody home. However, if there is a need to fill university classrooms and we have to resort to importing foreigners in order to do it, then it is only natural to investigate the reasons for this. This is where the ridiculous and consistently increasing cost of higher education might be a factor. If affordability isn't the case, then one might assume that Ontario is giving precedence to foreigners BEFORE its own citizens? If there is a consistent drop in Ontario students attending Ontario universities and a steady incline of foreign students attending our universities, isn't this already damaging the reputation of these institutions? Absurd, isn't it?

I know plenty of people that studied abroad but returned afterwards and enriched their own country's economy by way of the education they received. No one can take their knowledge away and certainly returning home does not tarnish the reputation of the university they attended while abroad.
Well, your previous post started with "Why do we need to keep foreigners here?" Sorry if I read that when you meant something else.

How exactly is Ontario giving precedence to foreigners over its own citizens? Isn't tuition higher for foreign students? Don't many financial aid programs require Canadian citizenship? Besides, a consistent drop in Ontario students and a steady increase in foreign students can mean a lot of things, and I'm not sure one of them is "it's damaging the reputation of Ontario universities".

Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,597,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suspected this was going on as well, but if publicly-funded universities are shutting out too many potential students from their own province (their primary mission as public institutions) in order to rake in extra cash from foreign ones, I would say there is a problem.
Well, most universuties in On rely on hundreds of millions of dollars raised privately. They are only partially Publicly-funded. The inclusion of many foreign students is only a plus for these instutions. You could look at it this way. The high fees that the oversea students pay helps to subsidize The cost for Canadian students. This extra money also helps to create and maintain new programs, equipment and facilities. Also I must say that these foreign students add a lot to the cultural experence of attending university. Our Canadian kids get a good look at different cultures, different thinking and this is only a good thing. If some of these kids choose to stay here after graduation then it just adds so much to our country. I have a neighbour who has a PHD. in IT. He graduated from Cal Tech and was not allowed to stay in the USA. Well, he has a great job at RIM and is an excellent Canadian now.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, most universuties in On rely on hundreds of millions of dollars raised privately. They are only partially Publicly-funded. The inclusion of many foreign students is only a plus for these instutions. You could look at it this way. The high fees that the oversea students pay helps to subsidize The cost for Canadian students. This extra money also helps to create and maintain new programs, equipment and facilities. Also I must say that these foreign students add a lot to the cultural experence of attending university. Our Canadian kids get a good look at different cultures, different thinking and this is only a good thing. If some of these kids choose to stay here after graduation then it just adds so much to our country. I have a neighbour who has a PHD. in IT. He graduated from Cal Tech and was not allowed to stay in the USA. Well, he has a great job at RIM and is an excellent Canadian now.
If you look at the annual report of any Canadian university you will see that government money is essentially what keeps them afloat, followed by tuition fees:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/repos.../2002-2003.pdf

Canada does not have a culture of alumni financial support of universities like the U.S. does, although most of our universities are trying to grow this revenue stream.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM

658 posts, read 724,448 times
My advice is don't do it. Canada only seems like a great idea when you have not lived there. Americans who are upset with American politics usually want to escape, but at least know that you're not dying and going to Paradise. Canada has all its own problems and asshats. Like if you get sick, you will have to be on a waiting list to get a family doctor and until you do you're stuck going from clinic to clinic to see if the doctor has hit their daily quota yet and then waiting hours to be seen. If you're not covered under the medical in Canada (which you wouldn't be until your PR application is accepted and processed etc.), it is more expensive than in the US. A clinic in Quebec charges $100 a visit, cash. Blood tests can be in the hundreds, and so can scrips. Get traveler's insurance, whatever you do. Not that it will help you FIND a doctor.

If you are set on Canada, don't move to Quebec. Go to BC, like Vancouver. Much much much better there. If you go to Quebec, speak at least SOME French. Be able to read the basics like street signs and whatnot, too.

Be prepared to pay more for everything, have very little choice/selection when it comes to grocery stores, entertainment and so on. you can't get Hulu.com, your Netflix (if you want it) streaming has about 30 old crap movies to choose from, certain over the counter meds in the US are hidden behind the pharmacist counter in Quebec so you have to ask for them but they're not prescription. So if you don't see it on a shelf, ask about it.

You're going to pay from tens to hundreds more bucks for things than in the USA. Example, the iPad is $100 more. You can check Bing's "Cross border shopping" section for comparisons.

And the toilet paper here is a joke. It's like 3 pieces of tracing paper on each roll. You can't get Scott tissue here, which has 1000 sheets on each roll -- the most you're gonna find here is about 250 sheets per roll, so invest in a Costco membership soon as you get an ID.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,861,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
And the toilet paper here is a joke. It's like 3 pieces of tracing paper on each roll. You can't get Scott tissue here, which has 1000 sheets on each roll -- the most you're gonna find here is about 250 sheets per roll, so invest in a Costco membership soon as you get an ID.
Lol you're complaining about the toilet paper? I think it might be time to get your priorities in order when toilet paper quality has such high precedence when choosing a place to live.

But yeah I agree health care isn't what it's brought up to be up here, Canada caters much more to the lower/middle class than the rich folk. Considering a huge portion of this country's not upper class, the Canadian health care system is perfectly fair and makes sense.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,433,524 times
I will gladly pay more if it means I'm getting more services. America doesn't do jack crap to take care of its citizens, and it's only getting worse due to a certain political movement that shall remain nameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal