Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,586 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering moving back to the Monterey bay area which my family moved away from in 1972.

I have visited several times since then, but I am sure I do not know ALL the neighborhoods these days...... I grew up in Pacific Grove near 1st and Pine.

My question is about Monterey "north of the naval academy" around Harmon or Cassanova. Are these bad areas now? I have read several people saying stay away. Why?

I can't remember going thru those areas much except for Del Monte blvd and the skating rink, maybe the fair ground, Freemont ave..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 AM

oops!! I meant Hannon ave not Harmon.

Also, I know that area is close to the airport, but is it a safe neighborhood?

thanks so much

Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 AM

8,221 posts, read 16,736,947 times
Well,

I live in PG currently and drive down that way every day to work - past NPS. I have never seen any problems there, although I'm not looking for them. Since we are looking at buying a home in the region I have asked fellow co-workers about the areas to avoid. No one has even mentioned that strip as particularly bad. Although I consider it to be more Seaside since it is so close to the border.

Sometimes Franklin or other long time residents of the area have good input about specific sub neighborhoods on this forum. Maybe someone else in Monterey will have a different view of it. Are you looking at renting/buying there? If concerned why not look at the many other options. Del Rey Oaks just up the street is a nice neighborhood, as are parts of Seaside (upper seaside) and even parts of Marina.

Ultimately you will have to drive the neighborhoods/streets yourself to determine if you feel comfortable. PG is our favorite part of the Monterey area. But it is too pricey to buy at least right now. Rents in PG on the other hand are surprising more in line with the rest of the areas including Seaside and Marina. You just end up in an older place usually.

Derek

Old 01-28-2009, 05:44 PM

889 posts, read 3,120,004 times
Hannon is a safe neighborhood.Its just off of Fremont leading into Del Rey Oaks and Seaside.The houses are small and the street just seems crowded with cars because alot of those homes were built with no garages or carports. Certain parts of Casanova have a handful of apts. which can lead to some problems at times.Casanova is a very long street, again off of Fremont very close to Hannon St. Just not a pretty part of town but not bad either.Close to shopping areas.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 PM

Thank you for the replies. Sorry I didn't come back sooner, so much going on I forgot about the post!
I am looking to rent,, and the area I was looking at was more towards Del Rey Oakes at the end of Cassanova way off Freemont, more towards the airport where there are allot of apts. Sounds kinda encouraging

I love P.G. very fond memories, but a bit too pricey much of the time, but bargains can be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County