Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM

136 posts, read 337,112 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm in Texas and applied for a job more less for ****s and giggles. It will pay no less than $58,000 a y/r. It's in Monterey County with the Sheriff's Dept in Salinas.

Where would be some other areas on the perimeter the might be cheaper to live than the City? I have no quarrel with living in a small town as I'm accustomed to that here in TX.

How big is the County and what's the farthest away you'd live from Salinas to commute??

Would living in or closer to Monterey be feasible?

Thanks big time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM

889 posts, read 3,118,590 times
Will you be buying or renting?? Close to Salinas can be Marina, very safe quiet but expect the fog( and windy at times) as it's so close to the ocean.
Seaside is another, then toward the south,Greenfield can be an idea.
Also, Prunedale is more "rual" but a nice place too.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM

136 posts, read 337,112 times
Would be renting. Also coastal communities are fine too. I'm already acclimated to the Gulf and a constant 90% humidity. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,344 times
If you want to rent cheaper ... go down the 101 to towns like Chualar and Gonzales. Also ... traffic doesn't back up on the 101 like it does going into Monterey/Seaside, etc.

Last edited by sheri257; 05-21-2008 at 03:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 AM

889 posts, read 3,118,590 times
If you went with Marina,you would not be on hiway 68 which backs up like Sheri said.You would take Reservation Road out of Marina. For Prunedale (more "country") it's another idea.Sheri also gave you some more ideas for the surrounding area.
Another ( which i think actaully has a Salinas address ) is Spreckles and Toro Park, depending on how much you want to spend.Those are all areas with homes, no apts. if thats all you are looking for.Any thing with a Salinas address is not always just Salinas, it does at time incorporate the surrounding areas as well. You may want to refer to a map when you are looking.Living in Monterey can be expensive and the commute would be a bear.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:29 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,721,300 times
To buy a place, it's all relatively expensive up there. I can't believe the cost of homes in Greenfield. I mean, c'mon Greenfield? To rent, I'm sure some are cheaper than others (ocean v. inland). I believe people are commuting from that area to work in San Jose, so prices have risen even in places like Greenfield, Soledad and Gonzales. At least that's my theory. If it was up to me, I'd live in Monterey or Prunedale. Monterey has everything you need and it's gorgeous, with temperate weather year round. Prundale is a small community, but I like the country feel of it. I'm not totally sure about Salinas weather, but if you live away from the ocean in the other towns mentioned, you'll fry in the summer. I suppose the farthest I'd commute to Salinas if I had too would be Paso Robles, but King City is probably more reasonable. Paso Robles is about 1 1/2 hr. away.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
To buy a place, it's all relatively expensive up there. I can't believe the cost of homes in Greenfield. I mean, c'mon Greenfield?
Yeah ... at one time houses in Greenfield sold for $600K. But do you know what the average Greenfield home price is now?

$265K as of last month. So I assume you haven't checked prices lately ...

As for Monterey, etc. it's all great but, those are typically smaller, older homes. I really like this new subdivision in Greenfield where I can pick up a new, two year old home with 2000 or more square feet for $250-300K or less.

It's a brand new subdivision on the other side of the interstate ... it's actually a very nice area.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Would be renting. Also coastal communities are fine too. I'm already acclimated to the Gulf and a constant 90% humidity. Thanks!
No need to worry about humidity there as you will never encounter it again. Fact is you really won't need an AC unit if you live close enough to the coast in Monterey but expect the rent $ to be high..

Old 05-22-2008, 01:15 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,721,300 times
[quote=sheri257;3841889]Yeah ... at one time houses in Greenfield sold for $600K. But do you know what the average Greenfield home price is now?

$265K as of last month. So I assume you haven't checked prices lately ...

Your right. I haven't really followed real estate prices to any extent for about three years. That was when I purchased a home that I paid too much for. Actually if I had the money I'd buy something west of Greenfield. Heading toward the nat'l forest. Is it Arroyo Seco? It's beautiful out there. Actually, to think about. Greenfield isn't that bad considering that it is very close to nat'l forest lands, tons of recreation, beautiful river and I hear a ton of waterfalls if you hike back. What's the crime, gang situation there?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
What's the crime, gang situation there?
Not much that I can see. According to this website maybe one murder a year ... no murders in some years. It's certainly not like Salinas in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County