Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Place to Live in Monterey County?
North Salinas 2 28.57%
South Salinas 2 28.57%
Watsonville 0 0%
Hollister 0 0%
Prunedale 1 14.29%
Castroville 0 0%
Aromas 0 0%
Spreckles 2 28.57%
East Garrison 0 0%
Seaside 1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,208 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

So, the hubs and I are strongly considering moving to Monterey County (or surrounding areas) within a year. He's taking a job located in South Salinas. We've been researching housing prices and opinions on the surrounding areas. I've heard conflicting things about Salinas--great town, awful town, incredibly high crime, great community, north section is better, south section is better. Any opinions or information on Salinas itself? I've found lots of promising looks homes with great prices . . . but are they great just because of the economy or does no one want to buy in that area?

We're hoping for somewhere within a thirty minute commute (give or take) with reasonable housing prices. Considering Watsonville, Castroville, Hollister, Prunedale, and Aromas. Any info on the commute or communities in those areas?

Thank you so much for any info! It would be a huge help!

Last edited by PetethePetey; 03-26-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Nosey question but will you initially be renting (imo, a very good idea until you get to really know the area) and, if so, what's your rental budget?
I don't know Salinas well at all but i do know that there are parts where you most likely do not want to live because of gangs / crime.
The nicest (by far) and generally safe communities in Monterey County are Carmel, Pacific Grove and Monterey. But they are expensive places to rent or buy in.
A couple of those towns on your poll are not in Monterey County btw ... not that it matters but just sayin'.
Watsonville is in Santa Cruz county.
Hollister is in San Benito County.

Monterey County California

Last edited by jaijai; 03-26-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,208 times
Thanks!
Sorry about the wrong counties--I was looking at Google maps. I'll see if I can fix that.

We're hoping to buy rather than rent, but we may end up renting. We've been so focused on finding an affordable permanent home that we haven't really checked out renting prices. We're thinking around $250,000, maybe. We'll be making a trip to visit sometime this summer to check out areas, and we have connections within the area to try to give us ideas.
We weren't sure that we could rent as we have a dog and two cats, and thought that, for the price of monthly rent, we might as well pay off a mortgage.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
If you're husband works in South Salinas you should aim for South Salinas, Las Palmas or Toro Park. About half or two thirds of South Salinas is quite nice - decent sized, well maintained single family homes built in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Toro Park is more upscale, has great schools (if that's a priority at all) and is in a pretty location. Las Palmas is a newer subdivision area between the two and has pretty nice homes and is also in a fairly scenic spot. The older Indian Springs areas is adjacent to it - also nice ranch style homes from the 60s and 70s.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePetey View Post
Thanks!
Sorry about the wrong counties--I was looking at Google maps. I'll see if I can fix that.

We're hoping to buy rather than rent, but we may end up renting. We've been so focused on finding an affordable permanent home that we haven't really checked out renting prices. We're thinking around $250,000, maybe. We'll be making a trip to visit sometime this summer to check out areas, and we have connections within the area to try to give us ideas.
We weren't sure that we could rent as we have a dog and two cats, and thought that, for the price of monthly rent, we might as well pay off a mortgage.
No apologies necessary.
I was just knit-picking and actually the title of your post is appropriate since Monterey County is probably where you'll want to be.
I'm always amazed that people buy a home before they really experience an area but i understand why someone would rather buy than have their money go down the landlord drain.
For a little while you may want to rent. Having pets makes it more difficult to find a place but it is possible.

Here's a heat map of average listing prices in CA counties.

California Home Prices and CA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

And this is Monterey County.

Monterey County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM

57 posts, read 214,782 times
South Salinas is a decent area; my preferred area of Salinas. You could definitely get a home in your price range there. Other affordable areas I would consider are Seaside and Marina. Both offer short commutes to south Salinas.

Like others have suggested, I would recommend renting first to get a feel for the area. You could expect around $1300/mo on a two bedroom apartment in the area. Note that it's tough to find a place that accepts pets (with exception to some of the larger apartment complexes in Salinas) but not impossible.

It's really hard to comment on how good or bad Salinas is as a town since it all depends on what you want out of it. As far as safety goes, Salinas does have gang problems. Most of the problems are in east Salinas. The gang activity is usually at night time and they usually have specific targets. It hasn't been as bad in the last couple of years, but it's still present (we're up to five homicides as of yesterday). Last year we had a very scary incident when a student was shot on the campus of Alisal High School right before school started.

I'm happy to provide more details of the area if you have some specific questions.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Do you have (or plan to have) children who will be attending public school?

As others have said I highly recommend cooling your heels on buying right out of the gate - rent first. What's the big hurry anyway? Get to know the areas in question first via your own personal experiences and preferences before sinking your money into a long-term commitment. It makes way more sense financially. Then you will be more confident and happy with your decision. Do you realize how many ppl buy impulsively then come to regret their decision later? That is a big reason we have so many foreclosure and ppl losing a lot of money RE currently. I know a number of families in this boat right now. Even in Monterey County locals vary greatly whether they feel comfortable buying or renting in these more affordable regions which come with other less desirable factors at times (i.e. higher crime, gangs, poor performing schools, etc...). Its a real trade off. That's why you see the varied opinions. There is no one size fits all answer which would make things so much easier I know. We have friends we consider good people who live in Salinas. Yet we would not choose that area for our family. However it may work for your family, after careful consideration and exposure to the area. The same really applies for Seaside, Marina and the other areas in question. Your Best Poll is unfortunately too relative to be very meaningful. My best isn't necessarily your best or the guy down the street who is happy to simply have a roof over his head.

BTW, you missed Las Palmas which has better school options (until High School). I'd pick that over these others. Though Spreckles is pretty good too, though not really in the same price range.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-27-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
I would say South Salinas would be good, if you can get into the Mission Park school district. That is a pretty decent K-6 school, by far the best in Salinas. However, if you live there, you probably would want to start thinking of sending your kids to private school beginning in middle school. Washington Middle school isn't great, neither is Salinas High (both of which are the best public schools for their group in Salinas). Palma/Notre Dame is ok for private school, but your better bet would be the peninsula.

If you can afford to spend a little more, you can live in the Toro Park/San Benancio area. You'll have very good schools K-8 and won't need to think about sending your kids to private school until high school. At that time, you can send them to York, which isn't too far away.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,008 times
Please reconsider your job choices! There is a reason everyone who came to Salinas for affordable housing is now desperately trying to return to where they came from. Unless you are connected to the produce industry, or the city or county government, you should reconsider your options, now! Harken to these words, O ye of too much naivete! What we have here is a third world barrio that will only get worse over time.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,726 times
Hello Bill and others...

I just accepted a job in Salinas, CA. The job I believe is secure, but I am definitely worried about finding a safe, affordable place to rent. I would not commit to an area until I was there at least 2 years. Adding to the mix, I have cats. At the time of adoption I had no idea I would ever move from here. I am relocating from Pittsburgh, land of the cheapest housing ever. I am interested in opinions. The job is in South Salinas. I will be running a clinic there. Kind opinions are appreciated.

Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County