Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 29,324 times

Advertisements

Hello there

My partner and I are planning a 2 week road trip in California in September - we live in the UK - and I'm just trying to get a handle on some of the distances. We're flying into LA and driving up the coast, before heading inland to Yosemite.

So, can anyone give me an idea of how long it might take to drive from Carmel to Yosemite? We're thinking of staying one night in Modesto or Merced to break things up, but maybe we don't need to?

Also, how long would it take from Yosemite into San Fran? It's kind of hard to tell from the map we have, and I get the feeling traffic could be pretty heavy.

I'd also like to know if Cambria or Cayucos might make a good stopover for one night, on the way up from Santa Barbara to Carmel.

Any tips welcome!

Thanks, Martin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
My best guess is that it would take about 4 hours to drive from either Carmel or San Francisco to Yosemite. Some of the roads are 2 lane country roads.

You will find plenty of motels/hotels and reataurants in either Modesto or Merced along highway 99 (a 4 or 6 lane freeway).

I have driven through those two towns on the California centarl coast you mentioned, but I don't remember much about them. I think Morro Bay Morro Bay Pictures - California stock photos, fine art prints by QTL is an interesting little town. I also like Pismo Beach, north of Morro Bay. There is a pier on the ocean at Pismo Pismo Beach, CA - Official Site. There are some good seafood reastaurants in both places.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:01 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKroadtripper View Post

So, can anyone give me an idea of how long it might take to drive from Carmel to Yosemite? We're thinking of staying one night in Modesto or Merced to break things up, but maybe we don't need to?

Also, how long would it take from Yosemite into San Fran? It's kind of hard to tell from the map we have, and I get the feeling traffic could be pretty heavy.

I'd also like to know if Cambria or Cayucos might make a good stopover for one night, on the way up from Santa Barbara to Carmel.
Carmel to Yosemite: I'd allow for 4 hours. Modesto or Merced could be a good pit-stop, but you could easily do the drive in one day.

Yosemite to SF: I'd allow for 4-5 hours, but if you hit traffic it could be longer.

Cambria or Cayucos would both be good places to stop. Lovely little towns. Morro Bay is nice, too and San Simeon (where Hearst Castle is) is another possibility.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:52 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,793 times
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map
this might help when planning your trip. It won't give you the "scenic" route, but might help with time and distance.

since you may be only doing this once, you might want to stay in Morro Bay (right next to Cayucos, but with a little more to see and do) or Cambria (quaint coastal villiage, surrounded by pine trees) and visit Hearst's Castle

Waterfall Hike Info ★ Salmon Creek Falls, a natural beautiful Big Sur Waterfall south of Gorda; hiking and trail information for a visit to Salmon Creek Falls on Big Sur California Coast Highway 1 just north of the Monterey County line; Salmon Cree

This waterfall is not too far north on the coast as you leave San Simeon. It's a quick and easy walk from the roadside to the falls.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Modesto is out of your way if you are going straight from Carmel to Yosemite. Merced would be a better place to stay.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 29,324 times
Default How far from Carmel to Yosemite

Thanks v much for the replies - that's a real help. We can easily drive 4 hours from Carmel to Yosemite, so that gives us an extra night somewhere.
Cheers, Martin

Old 09-14-2017, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,194 times
Hy !! I'm planning to do the very same trip next year (carmel to yosemite ). That's why I'm wondering how long did you finaly drive from those two places when you did your trip back in 2008 ;-)
If you remember that, would you tell me?

Thanks !!

Franck

Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,705 times
google maps tells you the estimated drive time and distance for multiple routes. try it!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Carm...4!2d37.8651011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County